Parting is sweet sorrow.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Parting is sweet sorrow.

Post by katschamne »

Well for almost a year now I have been talking that the PCX was too small for my needs. In January I found a good deal on a used 2009 Silver Wing with only 2126 miles on it. I picked it up from storage March 11th. Since then I have logged over a 1000 miles on it. I have taken the PCX out a time or two since I picked up my new scooter. I wasn't sure if I was going to keep both scooters or sell the PCX but I have made up my mind that I will parting ways with the PCX sometime this summer. I don't regret that I bought the PCX but my needs were just too much for the little scooter. I did put 5000 miles on it and with that gave me experience and confidence to buy the bigger scooter.

I will miss the the PCX as far as the weight goes. Putting it up on the center side when I fill up is a breeze and it can take corners like no ones business. I have to say that I love my Silver Wing. The seat is so comfortable right from the get go. The ease with how the Silver Wings gets up to speed is impressive(0-60 in 8 seconds). I picked it up from the dealer and on the way home the speed limit was 45 mph and I look down and I'm cruising at 65 mph. Oops back off the throttle. I can flat foot the Swing better then the PCX because how the floor boards are cut out for your legs. Then add the gas mileage in. I get closer to what they say I should get for the Swing then I did for the PCX. On the Swing I'm supposed to get 40-50 mpg I get 51 mpg and on the PCX I was only averaging 82 mpg. I think that had to do with my size although I'm down 50 lb now from last year and the fact that where I ride at the speed limit is 55 mph. This means I was riding full throttle most of the time, with nothing left over to pass if I need it.

Two weeks ago I went on a group ride with my husband's motorcycle group and I had no problem keeping up with the big boys. They have all kinds of bikes there from every maker you can imagine. Sport touring bikes, big baggers and one other Silver Wing although he wasn't there that day. At one point they were cruising along to 75 mph. It was not problem and I had plenty left over since it tops out at 104 mph.

I did look at the Burgman 650 but it was noticeably heavier the Swing. The Burgman is 613 lbs compared to the Swing's 540 lbs. I couldn't flat foot it even though they have the same seat height it must have been the cut out for the legs, and the cost was more. I could have picked up a new 2013 Silver Wing for almost $1000 less then the Burgman. Although I really liked the color of the 2009 Silver Wing, it's a dark candy wineberry red. Yes, I have a thing for red. The newer ones only came in black and the Burgman was either white or grey. I'm not a fan of white, except the new 2015 PCX. That pearl white is awesome. Too bad that the last year for the Silver Wing was 2013. Even though it looks the same from 2001-2013 it doesn't look out dated at all.

I have to say that I love this forum much better then the Silver Wing because it's much more active. Maybe I can convince my youngest son to take the PCX... that's if he ever gets his diver's licences.
Attachments
vp3979077_1_large.jpg
vp3979077_1_large.jpg (95.76 KiB) Viewed 854 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Parting is sweet sorrow.

Post by Mel46 »

I really do hope that you enjoy the Silver Wing as much as you did the pcx. I had a Burgman 400. I had tried the 650 but it was too heavy, as you found out. The 400 was just right. Too me, the Silver Wing was still too heavy, but it did allow the rider to cruise the freeways easily. I am glad that you are enjoying yours.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

That burgundy color suits the Silverwing very well. Enjoy the ride, and stay safe. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Good Luck to ya Kat! Be safe and enjoy Life. Come on back sometime :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Thank all. I will be back from time to time. I do like the people on here and like I said it is much more active then the silver wing forum.