Takegawa Cam

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Takegawa Cam

Post by Mel46 »

Though i haven't the time or energy to change out the cam, i have changed the rollers. Even though i did get maybe...maybe...a couple of mph increase, going uphill still drops the mph dramatically. However, the bike responds when i need to get to the top end of whatever it can put out. I have a gps onboard all the time now, and there is definitely a difference between what the speedometer says and what the gps says. I am in agreement with those who say that the cheapest way to get more out of this bike is to change the variator and rollers.
Doing the BBK would be great if.. (1) the cost was not so high... (2) the 196cc kit was perfected.... and (3) it was reasonably easy to install and adjust it for optimal output without adding additional items such as a fuel controller.
Until that time comes I would consider doing other less expensive mods and be happy that I got some increase out of it at all. Not that I would discourage getting a BBK. I would love to have one. I am just saying the until it is perfected, AND the price comes down a little (though $1200 is somewhat reasonable as apposed to $2,000), try other things first. You may find that you are happy with the results.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Branyers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers »

Valiant wrote:
Branyers wrote:I just want to be able to hit 80mph without bumping up displacement. I know the bike is capable of it with the proper mods. I'm nearly there.
Again, is that 80 mph actual speed you're expecting? Flats or downhill?

I can get about 75 mph while going downhill, though admittedly Hawaii doesn't have the long and uninterrupted stretches of highway like you would see in the states, so I don't get as much room to accelerate before I have to back off the throttle in order to avoid smacking into the car in front of me.
I have had the bike up to 78mph on a decline, 76mph on the flats. This is not GPS verified, but I use the Kitaco digital speedo.

I'm not sure why the numbers would be hard to believe though. I'm running several drive mods, a straight through Yoshi pipe and K&N air filter to top it off. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to pull 80mph on a 150cc bike, especially if you are in the draft of heavy, fast moving traffic.

FWIW, I think my speedo is accurate. It registered a 67mph top speed without any modifications whatsoever.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

Branyers wrote: I have had the bike up to 78mph on a decline, 76mph on the flats. This is not GPS verified, but I use the Kitaco digital speedo.

I'm not sure why the numbers would be hard to believe though. I'm running several drive mods, a straight through Yoshi pipe and K&N air filter to top it off. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to pull 80mph on a 150cc bike, especially if you are in the draft of heavy, fast moving traffic.

FWIW, I think my speedo is accurate. It registered a 67mph top speed without any modifications whatsoever.
If you're talking about extremely favorable conditions, like downhill in a draft with a tailwind, then you could do it with a 125cc engine so long as the gearing can reach the speed at the rev limiter. If it's on the flats, then typically the wind resistance will keep you from going faster. Of course, I live on a bumpy island, so I can't tell you what a flat road looks like :D .

In any event, running the PCX on the stand should tell you what your maximum potential top speed is(i.e. your speed at 9600 rpms, or the rev limiter). Mine reads 86 mph on the speedo, but my speedo inaccuracy would probably put that around 78 mph actual. But the fastest I've ever gone is 75 mph downhill. Again, the roads here are neither flat nor straight, so for me, I require more power to get me there.

If what you're doing gets you what you want, more power to you.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Why do they put that darn rev limiter in there? I'd understand if there were a need to be compliant with licensing regulations ie. with a 49cc scooter, maybe the 125s over in Europe, but the 150?
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

dkazzed wrote:Why do they put that darn rev limiter in there? I'd understand if there were a need to be compliant with licensing regulations ie. with a 49cc scooter, maybe the 125s over in Europe, but the 150?
Floating valves at high rpms? Seems reasonable to me.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

At excessive RPMs maybe. What's the redline for the 150cc engine?

I accidentally over-revved my engine once. Whoops.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

dkazzed wrote:What's the redline for the 150cc engine?
9,600 RPMs
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Hey guys, just wanted to remind everyone that I believe some free power can be had by cutting a hole or two in the stock airbox. I used a spade bit and cut a couple holes with I think a 5/8 or 3/4" bit in the bottom side (facing the ground) just aft of the slotted portion of the airbox. I should get out and go take a picture and add it later so you can see what I'm talking about, but I did notice a minor performance gain from doing so, and it is done in a place that wouldn't ingest water, and is pre-filter. So, in other words, it's safe!
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

I just hate to see anyone go through a lot of work and trouble before exhausting the free power upgrades no matter how small.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I took the snorkel out my airbox and it just made more noise and filled the bottom of the airbox with dirt as we had rain . I put it back in after a couple of weeks