Misfire help

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

binje
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Misfire help

Post by binje »

Heygood people

I have a little niggle that has popped up on my 2011 PCX 125.... Yesterday I decided to do a service as it was almost due. Changed the oil, air filter and spark plug. I couldnt do that oil strainer as it just wouldnt come off and I didnt want to force it. Today I have noticed the throttle response has improved but after a couple of miles riding I noticed a slight misfire when I stopped at a set of lights. It may have misfired before but I cant be sure as I wasnt paying attention. The misfire is noticeable at stop or just taking off where it takes a fraction of a second longer to respond to throttle than ususl.. But this doesnt happen every time tho.... The misfire is noticeable at stop but once away I dont notice it...All the stuff came from a Honda dealership that sells everything for a service on fleabay as a kit so I doubt anything is out of spec.

Only hiccup I can think of is, its a brand change of oil (used to be castrol, now motul) and the other thing was the oil had leaked slightly in the delivery bag and there was a bit on the plastic bits of the air filter which I cleaned out. I couldnt notice any oil on the actually air filter element itself.... but perhaps there was some..

On a side note, I did take off the exhaust, sand down surface rust and repainted with very high temp oil but I doubt that was the issue. I have just added that on here just in case anyone thinks that may be a contibuting factor...

Any help would be appreciated....
2011 Honda PCX 125
scudder
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: metalic black

Re: Misfire help

Post by scudder »

Hi. Did you set the sparkplug gap correctly? Just because it is new does not mean it is correct for your bike. Get a set of feeler gauges and check it. Lack of air through a blocked filter would also cause poor ignition. The oil makes no odds whatsoever. The exhaust, unless you have damaged the gasket at the engine mount, it should be OK although a leaking gasket could also effect it.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

scudder wrote:Hi. Did you set the sparkplug gap correctly? Just because it is new does not mean it is correct for your bike. Get a set of feeler gauges and check it. Lack of air through a blocked filter would also cause poor ignition. The oil makes no odds whatsoever. The exhaust, unless you have damaged the gasket at the engine mount, it should be OK although a leaking gasket could also effect it.

Plug cap fimly back on?
binje
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by binje »

Thanks for the quick replies people.... The gasket seemed fine and I was very carefull getting the exhuast back on so I hope that isnt the case... It may well be the gap on the plug.... never having used a set of feeler guages (and not knowing how to use one) prevent me from doing so.... Any alternative ways to check or do I have no options on that one?

With the air filter... I did clean out the whole housing and everything so hopefully no issues from that... again it may be a case of oil in the filter itself (although cant be a huge amount.. or doesnt seem to be).

I have just checked the plug cap again and it seems to be on fine. I will find out in a bit when I get ready to ride. But I suspect it may be the gap on the plug....

And here I was doing the service for the first time without my friend (who is the bike expert) hoping all would be well... Wishful thinking on my part... :)
2011 Honda PCX 125
scudder
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: metalic black

Post by scudder »

binje wrote:Thanks for the quick replies people.... The gasket seemed fine and I was very carefull getting the exhuast back on so I hope that isnt the case... It may well be the gap on the plug.... never having used a set of feeler guages (and not knowing how to use one) prevent me from doing so.... Any alternative ways to check or do I have no options on that one?

With the air filter... I did clean out the whole housing and everything so hopefully no issues from that... again it may be a case of oil in the filter itself (although cant be a huge amount.. or doesnt seem to be).

I have just checked the plug cap again and it seems to be on fine. I will find out in a bit when I get ready to ride. But I suspect it may be the gap on the plug....

And here I was doing the service for the first time without my friend (who is the bike expert) hoping all would be well... Wishful thinking on my part... :)
Set of feeler blades/guage from any Halfords in UK will set you back £6 or 7. You just slip the blades in between the gap. (PCX gap is 0.8-0.9mm I believe). If the blade wont go in gently lift the bent tab with a flathead driver. Too slack, gentle tap on same with the handle of the driver. Guage should slip in and out with just a touch of resistance. NB every home mechanic should have a set of these so good investment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0cl_YrfjMc
That video uses a fancy tool to bend the earth.
binje
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by binje »

Thanks again for the reply scudder. Turns out it was the gap in the plug. Now thats sorted out it is purring like a kitten and running smooth.

Appreciate the help again guys :-)
2011 Honda PCX 125