Hit a pothole, handlebars look slightly off center. Help!

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Hit a pothole, handlebars look slightly off center. Help

Post by gn2 »

Vibration could be flatspots or dents in the wheel bearings caused by the impact.
Raise the front wheel and spin it then rotate it by hand while applying sideways pressure to get some idea if they're damaged.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

MKE PCX wrote:The forks are $103.73/ea, the steering stem is $210.18 by itself and another $6X.XX for the seals and bearings - which I'm sure are shot if the stem turns out to be bad.
I'm continually amazed at how cheap replacement parts are for the PCX. Most full size bikes, you'd never see a fork available for a hundred bucks.

Used PCX forks show up pretty often on eBay. I'd check there if you wanted to save some coin. I looked a few minutes ago for you and there were several to choose from on their site.

Personally, I'd probably just order new ones if they are only $100 each. That's an amazing price.

To make you feel better, here is the price on a new fork assembly for my BMW:

01 TELESCOPE-FORK 1 31421454701 $1432.70
'88 BMW R100RT
MKE PCX
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by MKE PCX »

gn2 wrote:Vibration could be flatspots or dents in the wheel bearings caused by the impact.
Raise the front wheel and spin it then rotate it by hand while applying sideways pressure to get some idea if they're damaged.
The sound appears to be coming from under the front fairing.

If bearings are damaged, I'd suspect it's the steering stem bearings.

I will check the front wheel bearings though as it should be a fairly easy task.

Luckily the front axle and wheel bearing are cheap if they need replacing.
MKE PCX
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MKE PCX »

kcpcx wrote:I'm continually amazed at how cheap replacement parts are for the PCX. Most full size bikes, you'd never see a fork available for a hundred bucks.

Used PCX forks show up pretty often on eBay. I'd check there if you wanted to save some coin. I looked a few minutes ago for you and there were several to choose from on their site.

Personally, I'd probably just order new ones if they are only $100 each. That's an amazing price.

I'm guessing the purchase price of your BMW was a little higher than $3k new which is what I have into my PCX.

As cheap as parts are for the PCX, it's a tough pill to swallow having to stick money into such a new vehicle for hitting a bump that almost any other vehicle would have taken in stride.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MKE PCX wrote:
kcpcx wrote:I'm continually amazed at how cheap replacement parts are for the PCX. Most full size bikes, you'd never see a fork available for a hundred bucks.

I'm guessing the purchase price of your BMW was a little higher than $3k new which is what I have into my PCX.

As cheap as parts are for the PCX, it's a tough pill to swallow having to stick money into such a new vehicle for hitting a bump that almost any other vehicle would have taken in stride.
Hit plenty of bumps on mine and it's been fine. It isn't a common problem but I appreciate it is yours. Not sure its Hondas problem either. Why not man up a tad, get it inspected properly, stop speculating and whining and let us know how it goes...?
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

MKE PCX wrote:

I'm not trying to disrespect your situation. But I guess I look at things a little differently...

I don't think we can necessarily say any other small scooter would have handled that pothole you hit any differently than your PCX did. Maybe, maybe not. A Zuma 125 or Kymco Like 200 might have suffered the same fate.

Being new has nothing to do with it, really. Small scooters are designed to operate under certain conditions. It's entirely possible that any of us could hit a pothole that causes damage on any cycle or scoot. Heck, people in cars suffer bent wheels all the time from hitting potholes. I used to see stuff like this all the time when I worked for a car dealership. So honestly, I don't think there is some inherent design flaw in the PCX just by virtue of one guy hitting a hole and having a bent fork.

It sucks, for sure. I wouldn't be excited about it either. But when you look at it impartially, three things come to mind, to me. First, that PCX parts are super cheap, so this little unfortunate episode will carry a lot less pain than many scooters might in a similar situation--count your lucky stars for that. Second, if the roads really are that bad where you are, any small scooter is probably not going to cope with your riding conditions very well. Third, it could be that you just had an unlucky day and happened to hit that pothole in that one in a million way that it damaged your scooter. You could have hit that same hole 20 other times with no problem, but this just wasn't your day.

There are a lot of people on this site who are putting a lot of miles on PCXs. I haven't seen any recurring trend of bent forks. I've hit plenty of chuck holes myself with no damage so far. Until people start having fork failures on a regular basis, I'd personally chalk your damage up to a random crappy event. Things happen in life. It stinks. You deal with it, and learn from it. If it continues to be an issue, you move to a different type of cycle better suited for the type of environment you have to deal with. Again, I'd be peeved too, but until I had replaced 3 forks from hitting minor holes, I think I'd chalk this up to random you know what happens factor.

I looked up a Burgman 400 fork just out of curiosity. They run around $465. So we're still doing pretty good. Oh, and yeah, the BMW probably cost a bunch new, but in today's money it's worth about 3 grand...the same as a PCX.

Not trying to be disrespectful, as I appreciate that you have an issue here that is no fun to deal with. Just trying to put a little perspective on it.
'88 BMW R100RT
MKE PCX
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MKE PCX »

kcpcx wrote: I'm not trying to disrespect your situation. But I guess I look at things a little differently...

I don't think we can necessarily say any other small scooter would have handled that pothole you hit any differently than your PCX did. Maybe, maybe not. A Zuma 125 or Kymco Like 200 might have suffered the same fate.

Being new has nothing to do with it, really. Small scooters are designed to operate under certain conditions. It's entirely possible that any of us could hit a pothole that causes damage on any cycle or scoot. Heck, people in cars suffer bent wheels all the time from hitting potholes. I used to see stuff like this all the time when I worked for a car dealership. So honestly, I don't think there is some inherent design flaw in the PCX just by virtue of one guy hitting a hole and having a bent fork.

It sucks, for sure. I wouldn't be excited about it either. But when you look at it impartially, three things come to mind, to me. First, that PCX parts are super cheap, so this little unfortunate episode will carry a lot less pain than many scooters might in a similar situation--count your lucky stars for that. Second, if the roads really are that bad where you are, any small scooter is probably not going to cope with your riding conditions very well. Third, it could be that you just had an unlucky day and happened to hit that pothole in that one in a million way that it damaged your scooter. You could have hit that same hole 20 other times with no problem, but this just wasn't your day.

There are a lot of people on this site who are putting a lot of miles on PCXs. I haven't seen any recurring trend of bent forks. I've hit plenty of chuck holes myself with no damage so far. Until people start having fork failures on a regular basis, I'd personally chalk your damage up to a random crappy event. Things happen in life. It stinks. You deal with it, and learn from it. If it continues to be an issue, you move to a different type of cycle better suited for the type of environment you have to deal with. Again, I'd be peeved too, but until I had replaced 3 forks from hitting minor holes, I think I'd chalk this up to random you know what happens factor.

I looked up a Burgman 400 fork just out of curiosity. They run around $465. So we're still doing pretty good. Oh, and yeah, the BMW probably cost a bunch new, but in today's money it's worth about 3 grand...the same as a PCX.

Not trying to be disrespectful, as I appreciate that you have an issue here that is no fun to deal with. Just trying to put a little perspective on it.
No disrespect taken.

This is my first scooter. I'm used to full-sized bikes. I may have been out of line when I said any other vehicle could have absorbed the impact damage free. I was thinking that my car or Triumph would have been fine hitting that bump but that isn't fair considering the cost difference.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I believe the PCX has larger circumferance wheels than some other 50-125cc scoots - they suffer more from the awful roads we have in London. Brent council (north london) puts in loads of speed humps but does little to fix pot-holes.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:I believe the PCX has larger circumferance wheels than some other 50-125cc scoots - they suffer more from the awful roads we have in London. Brent council (north london) puts in loads of speed humps but does little to fix pot-holes.

Why isn't Honda doing anything about this?

They are the mostly ghastly sh1ts.
MKE PCX
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MKE PCX »

Should the forks be flush with the top of the steering stem or inserted as far as they'll go?

One fork top was flush the other was pushed past.

If I knew which setting was correct, I'd be able to finish up for the day.
MKE PCX
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MKE PCX »

Well I ended up pushing both forks all the way in since it was the only way I could get both of them even. The alignment is 99% fixed now.

The steering bearings make noise but the scooter rides fine. Since I'm broke I'm going to live with it as is.

Are the wheel bearings sealed units? On the brake side, there was grease coming out of the dust seal. It could have been like that all along, but the other side wasn't the same so I suspect it's damaged.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MKE PCX wrote:Well I ended up pushing both forks all the way in since it was the only way I could get both of them even. The alignment is 99% fixed now.

The steering bearings make noise but the scooter rides fine. Since I'm broke I'm going to live with it as is.

Are the wheel bearings sealed units? On the brake side, there was grease coming out of the dust seal. It could have been like that all along, but the other side wasn't the same so I suspect it's damaged.
Excellent result. I'd be tempted to wipe the bearing seal down and just keep an eye on it for a while
MKE PCX
Regular User
Regular User

Post by MKE PCX »

you you wrote:Excellent result. I'd be tempted to wipe the bearing seal down and just keep an eye on it for a while
That's what I've done. There was a decent amount outside of the seal so I'm a little worried there is no longer enough behind the seal.

My factory service manual shipped today. I'll see what it says about grease on those bearings.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

MKE PCX wrote:
you you wrote:Excellent result. I'd be tempted to wipe the bearing seal down and just keep an eye on it for a while
That's what I've done. There was a decent amount outside of the seal so I'm a little worried there is no longer enough behind the seal.

My factory service manual shipped today. I'll see what it says about grease on those bearings.

You could try taking the wheel out and gently lifting the seal inner edge and popping a little grease in. Not sure it's possible but might be worth a go on an idle afternoon.

You could then check if the bearing is running freely.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

You should be able to put the bike on the centerstand, have a friend (or mate if you're on the other side of the pond) hold the rear end down, and spin the front wheel. Your brakes dragging a little is fine, but it should still spin a rotation or so. Putting your finger on the axle will help too, if you can feel rumbling, the bearings may be shot.

Wheel bearings on the PCX are sealed, and behind a dust seal. Some grease getting squeezed out from initial assembly or from wheel service isn't abnormal either.

Keep an eye on it, and ride it. It sounds like you're more or less sorted out. I'd save for replacing those steering bearings though, that could make for some hairy turning if they get worse.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes