Upgrading from a PCX?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: Upgrading from a PCX?

Post by Valiant »

fish wrote:My son has the CB500, the X version. You would never get it out of that parking space, if you could get it in.
The $3999 CB300F is a whole lot of bike for the $$, and much lighter.
Regarding these upright bikes ...... insurance is much cheaper on upright handlebar bikes vs the lay down clip on bar riding position.....the race position street bike gets in more wrecks..ins. man says it is because they are harder to control. Whatever , he is going by crash statistics....
These F and X upright style bikes are becoming very popular. Would have good resale.
I think you first need to get an honest estimate on the value of your PCX....... I'm thinking your $2500 might be several hundred too high due to your non HONDA engine mods.
Yeah, if they are stealing scooters, buy a bike......hard to feel sorry for a guy living in Hawaii!!!
Insure it well, buy a beater?
Fish
Possibly. There are a few non-engine non-Honda mods that IMO do nothing more than add to the performance(windscreen, brake hose/pads, exhaust, air filter). I also kept all the stock parts, so someone with a garage full of tools would be able to go either way with it(either back to stock or finish the upgrades).

On the flipside, I figure I'd need some mechanical skills either way as the other major moto dealer here might not be legit either as far as their service department goes. So I'm currently leaning towards at least trying to fix the transmission issue, and maybe trying one other guy in town who might be willing and able to put the throttle body in there. Though at that point if the kit is done and the transmission is working properly, I might not need to sell it at all as it would do everything I want it to.

I should also add that I have a GPS/alarm system installed inside and will likely include my two chains and padlocks with it, as I only plan to use maybe two disc brakes on a different bike as security. Downside is that, without underseat storage, keeping the bike covered is a bit tricky, unless I don't mind uncovering it, then dumping the cover back in my apartment 6 floors up, then coming back down again. Every single time.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

@Valiant - The Honda CTX700ND is a great bike from my perspective. Has the DCT transmission. Don't have to shift. Does have manual mode if you do what to shift. I watched your video and noticed that you mentioned me in it. I wear boots that cover my ankle but not moto boots. May get those in the future. the seat height on the CTX is 28" nice a low to swing a leg over. No storage so I added a rear rack to mount a dry bag on. If the cars you park with would park further apart and little bit back I think the CTX would fit there. The bike does weigh over 500lbs. great for riding in windy conditions compared to the scooter. There is chain maintenance required. You can look this up the CTX700 Forum. Already got over 1000 miles on it. been riding to work.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Big cubbies under the back seat of that Scion, or backpack for the cover?
In any event, it seems I'm hearing that your are far from ending your relationship with your PCX.
Meanwhile I hear these loops playing over this thread....
An old Navajo proverb that goes something like: "Don't foolwidit!"
And....Dylan Thomas's Xmas morning toy instructions: "Oh, e a s y for little Leonardos!"
I do wish you luck, and please don't think God is your problem.
He loves you, even when you make lousy decisions. If ever you're a Dad, you'll understand.
Fish
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Hey Valiant,
You probably should sell all your pcx stuff, if you cant work on it yourself. :(
I would not be buying a bunch of heavy tools, until I had a place to keep them.(6 floors up air compressor, torque wrench, sockets...etc... not fun).
Until you move from your current location, a used 250 motorcycle sounds like the best fit for your needs.(uglier the better).
p.s. dropping a 100 pounds from a forza makes for a very good alternative to a bbk for a pcx... ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

fish wrote:Big cubbies under the back seat of that Scion, or backpack for the cover?
In any event, it seems I'm hearing that your are far from ending your relationship with your PCX.
Meanwhile I hear these loops playing over this thread....
An old Navajo proverb that goes something like: "Don't foolwidit!"
And....Dylan Thomas's Xmas morning toy instructions: "Oh, e a s y for little Leonardos!"
I do wish you luck, and please don't think God is your problem.
He loves you, even when you make lousy decisions. If ever you're a Dad, you'll understand.
Fish

God?
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Air comp? I was looking into a cordless impact driver. Aren't those good enough for general work?

And Steph, I was actually leaning more towards the CB300F. While I could afford to take out a loan, I also have a higher preference to simply pay the whole thing off. I'd also think working a clutch might deter casual theft(yes, some people are that incompetent). I did notice a Yamaha dualsport in the same lot as mine that's been there for quite a few months without a cover and only a bicycle chain through the rear tire. Still there so far.

I believe the CB300F also has a lower seat for shorter people. Gas mileage is also great, and I hear it's a sister bike also made in Thailand(same as the PCX).

But again, my decision would just largely be based on whether or not I can correct my transmission issues. Or at least I ought to be able to take it apart and put it back together without making it worse. Going up to a motorcycle might not be an improvement if I can't do at least that much.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

You don't need an impact driver, a strap wrench and socket set will suffice.
Doubt you would need a press to change the final drive gearing either.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

"Most people either want bone stock, or to do their own mods. Money spent on customizing things rarely pays off when you sell. "

Yes; on this type of bike/scooter, I'm primarily looking for reliable transportation and would pay less for an example that somebody has done a bunch of stuff to. I'd worry about something getting screwed up and having to spend money and time to "unscrew" it--the very reason you want to get rid of yours.

Good news is that there are a lot of neat smaller bike out there. Take your time, do as many test rides as you can, and enjoy the process.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

gn2 wrote:You don't need an impact driver, a strap wrench and socket set will suffice.
Doubt you would need a press to change the final drive gearing either.
You really need an impact gun to get the clutch off... Speaking of that, GN2 is right (as usual), you need a transmission upgrade. The variator is not enough. You still won't get everything though -- my PCX will cruise comfortably at 60-65mph now with big bore kit + variator + 2 transmission gear swaps (though that is about 52 indicated because the gearing makes the speedometer off). My CB250 Nighthawk was still way faster, and got comprable gas mileage (I get around 85mpg now, regardless of riding. If I ride the limiter, it drops to 75mpg).

I have no trouble lifting the PCX, so I must be a powerhouse. ;) Lift some weights!

...Nowadays, I find myself seldom riding my PCX with my Suzuki V-Strom in the garage. It's to the point where I'm considering selling the PCX to someone who will actually ride it. :o The V-Strom gets 60mpg if I ride like a sane human being and has way more road presence, meaning I get cut off less. I can still lift the back end to move it around too (though it is much more a chore than the PCX). It is substantially larger than the PCX though.

As for a small 250, a Ninja checks all the boxes and is dirt cheap.

I don't know about PCX prices in your area, but your mods aren't worth a penny. If I sell my PCX, I expect to get $2000 for it, especially since it has well over 10k miles and since dealers will let a new one go OTD for $3k around here. I may even have to go lower. At that cost, even though I'm not riding it much, I'm tempted to just hold onto it, but I really don't want to just let it rot in the garage. I mean, I only put on 2k miles in the last year (whereas I put 7k on the Strom). That's nothing. I put that many miles on the PCX in the first month I owned it. :(
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

maddiedog wrote:You really need an impact gun to get the clutch off...
No you don't.
All you need is a strap wrench and a socket set.
Put the strap wrench around the clutch, lay the handle inside the transmission casing and give it some torque on the nut.
maddiedog wrote:your mods aren't worth a penny.
The mods may have reduced the value compared to a stock example.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

gn2 wrote:
maddiedog wrote:You really need an impact gun to get the clutch off...
No you don't.
All you need is a strap wrench and a socket set.
Put the strap wrench around the clutch, lay the handle inside the transmission casing and give it some torque on the nut.
Maybe if you're part gorilla. No way I can do it by hand, and I'm young and fairly strong. I've tried, the strap wrench slips. My basic battery impact gun (a 3/8" ryobi) wouldn't budge it either. I ended up using my friend's 1/2" impact gun to get the clutch off.

The variator comes off easier than the clutch. The clutch is just a bear to remove the first time, it's factory-overtightened.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dasshreddar »

A cordless impact might work...
I'm just saying don't invest a lot $$ in tools until you have a place to use/store them.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I got one of these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/291049385452
And use a socket set
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

dasshreddar wrote:A cordless impact might work...
I'm just saying don't invest a lot $$ in tools until you have a place to use/store them.
I have a tool shed where I keep my belt sander and a tabletop drill press of all things.

And wouldn't a symptom of "not enough gearing" be that I hit the rev limiter on the road under normal conditions? AFAIK, it's not normal right now, as I typically can get 72 mph on flats, but that's at 9200 rpms, and it usually doesn't go higher because of wind resistance.

Maybe longer gearing is relevant if the throttle body is installed, but right now I don't have it, thus the lack of power at high rpms. Longer gearing would only make that worse. I'm also not in a position to consider longer gearing if I DO have a transmission issue that's keeping my variator from pushing the belt all the way out like it did before.

First thing though, I need that variator holding tool along with a torque wrench and the appropriate sockets, and actually open up the transmission case to see for myself what's going on inside.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by dasshreddar »

ahhh tool shed 8)

not sure what up with the trans...(sounds like sliders in wrong?)
return it to stock trans and test with one new part at a time.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

maddiedog wrote:Maybe if you're part gorilla.
Can I change my user name to Silverback? :lol:

Only kidding, I'll stick with gn2

(I can see where you went wrong though, I didn't use my hand on the socket, I used my foot)
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

dasshreddar wrote:ahhh tool shed 8)

not sure what up with the trans...(sounds like sliders in wrong?)
return it to stock trans and test with one new part at a time.
Maybe? I figured I would start off slowly and just do the rollers.

I would say that no part of my trans is "stock", and switching everything back to stock(which I kept) would involve the drive face, variator, weights, belt, clutch, clutch bell, rear pulley, center spring, and the gear sprockets. Bit much for a mechanical rookie.

Today I was able to reach 67 mph(GPS) at 10,000 rpms by bumping up the rev limiter. So it's sort of running like a stock 2013 PCX, but with better acceleration at the low to mid end and very crappy accel/torque/power at the high end because it's revving so high, and I don't have power at the high end due to the lack of a throttle body.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

$12 variator hold tool, small bit of pipe for cheater bar on ratchet.
Works for.me. tool rental or autoparts store loaner for impact set?
Unless you're opening a scooter shop, no need to buy. Asian guy on yutube breaks em off with car battery powered impact gun.
Fish
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

I just figured the impact driver has some long-term utility even if I move up to a moto. We also don't have tool rental unless I'm willing to drive 50 miles to pick it up.
OldGuy

Post by OldGuy »

I've been looking at a used Yamaha Majesty. They have a good reputation and are said to do 90mph or more. I don't think Yamaha is offering them this year. What I like is that they have over 30 hp and the valves only need to be checked every 24k miles, so about 10 time less than the PCX. the down side would be gas mileage of approx 50-60 mpg. they also weigh about 100 pounds more than the PCX. Yamaha's SMAX for 2015 is said to be capable of 70 plus mph, but they only have about 1 more hp than the standard PCX, so might have trouble holding that speed.
it finally quit raining here for a few days and I rode my unmodified about 3 miles on the North Dallas busy freeway. It seems very stable to me at 55-64 mph that we went, but I dislike knowing that it is turning 9600 rpm to do that. However it does pretty much flow with traffic. maybe I'm just crazy but I feel pretty comfortable, and not scared to death on the freeways here. Totally stock 2015 PCX.