why I wear a helmet ALWAYS

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

why I wear a helmet ALWAYS

Post by flyingzonker »

I was out riding Friday on my lovely red PCX 150. After an hour I was getting close to my destination. I came to a T intersection, stopped and, not knowing which way to turn, started searching right and left for some kind of clue indicating the whereabouts of my goal. There was traffic coming on, not in a great hurry, but it was there. I leaned over the handlebars to get a clearer sight-line when suddenly the bike jerked forward into the path of an approaching car. I was completely shocked."Whaaaa?" I grabbed my front brake and gave it a mighty squeeze. The next thing I knew my head (and the side of my face) was bouncing on the asphalt. It was a good solid impact. I immediately jumped up, unhurt--in addition to a full face helmet I had knee protectors and elbow protectors on under my clothes. Some uncommonly decent guy came running who helped me haul the PCX off the pavement and 30 seconds later. after thanking my benefactor profusely, I was back on my way. Later, when I looked in the mirror, I saw to my no great surprise that my upper lip on the left side was swollen. You can imagine what it would have looked like had I gone bare headed into that summery day. I recall saying to the guy who helped me, " I don't know what happened!" And I still don't. Of course I had to have somehow twisted the throttle while I was leaning out, but for the life of me I don't have any sense of having done it.Anyway, I thank the helmet for keeping me, at the least, out of the emergency room and, very possibly, out of the morgue. Let the wise take heed. As for the unwise, well, they have no patience for chicken-shit stories like this.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: why I wear a helmet ALWAYS

Post by kramnala58 »

Wow, glad you are okay. I thought at first that you were going to say that you had been hit from behind.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

Wow, glad you're ok and here to talk about it.

What are the helmet laws in the US? While there are slight differences in the law from province to province in Canada, it is required in all ten provinces and three territories. I do occasionally see guys riding on residential streets like mine without a helmet and that alone makes me roll my eyes, even if they are just doing 20-30 mph.

Final note, there have been numerous occasions I've accidentally blipped the throttle on a scooter. It's scary. Find an empty parking lot to reconstruct what happened, and learn how to not do it again. From a person who's had two spills and a few near misses (on the scooter, haven't dropped my bike yet) . Happy riding.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

Helmet laws in the U.S.: some states require helmets, some don't.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws/he ... clehelmets
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

Happy you made the right choice mate, bones can mend but if a head injury mends its just pure luck.

I spent some time in the US as an exchange student and remember how funny it was for me to see people riding at high speeds without any head protection. After all I had lived all my life in places where such a sight was not legally possible.

I have seen some comments on other forums, where in the US the passenger sued the rider (driver) for compensation due to negligence of some sort after they got in a crash. It wasn´t specifically about helmets but it was about blaming the rider for something he didn´t do and didn´t keep the passenger safe, even if it was not a legal requirement.

Here in the UK a few cases have been made public where the two wheeled motorist sat at least on part of the bill because they did not use high viz gear or had the headlamp on and hence did not make sure that they were as visible as possible. Again, there is absolutely no legal requirement for either, just a recommendation in the highway code which is not enforceable. When I was cut off and went over the bonnet of a Mercedes, the copper also noted that I was using high viz.

My question is: Even in the US states that have no legal requirements for helmets, would it be plausible to get sued for negligence for not making sure a passenger uses one or would the rider´s family not get an insurance payout if (s)he did not use a helmet ? I say the rider´s family because unfortunately if its the rider itself that gets hurt without using protection, the chances of benefitting from insurance payouts would be rather slim...
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

In Texas, you're free to be as stupid as you want, without guv'mint interference. Hence, you'll see lots of folks bare-headed, with shorts, short sleeves, and flip-flops.

Me? After an accident many years ago where my helmet broke into pieces but protected my head, it's ATGATT. If it's just too hot for that, I'll take the car.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Yea... I'm wearing all my gear too. It's getting warm so I just bought mesh pants. I don't pay full price for this stuff because there is such as healthy market of second hand gear in my area. So many guys shop jackets and pants only to find something they like better shortly after. I hunt this gear on Craiglist everyday and have had great success getting it for half price.

Sorry you made my crash survivors list but the good news is no one has gotten killed or made the list twice.
mtheall
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by mtheall »

I'm in Texas, too. We're in the 90's weather now and it's only climbing, but that will not stop me from being ATGATT. I've seen riders with a passenger and they are both in shorts, short-sleeve/tank-top shirts, flip-flops, weaving around traffic at 85+mph on the freeway. All I can do is face-palm. I don't see the appeal of putting yourself in such a dangerous situation.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

kramnala58 wrote:Wow, glad you are okay. I thought at first that you were going to say that you had been hit from behind.
No, but that is always a possibility. Stopped at intersections, I watch my mirrors all the time for cars and trucks approaching in a manner indicating that they are on autopilot. What exactly I am going to do if I see one coming on me with intent to plow me under I am not sure. That would be like being between the proverbial rock and hard place. Do you stay put or jump into the intersection and hope for the best? When I am in traffic I am careful to make sure I am clear behind before I brake. Of course there are emergency situations--I guess your best bet is to try always to keep a lot of space between you and the guy ahead.If he stops suddenly and someone is riding your rear end, try to steer to one edge of the lane while braking.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

dkazzed wrote:Wow, glad you're ok and here to talk about it.

What are the helmet laws in the US? While there are slight differences in the law from province to province in Canada, it is required in all ten provinces and three territories. I do occasionally see guys riding on residential streets like mine without a helmet and that alone makes me roll my eyes, even if they are just doing 20-30 mph.

Final note, there have been numerous occasions I've accidentally blipped the throttle on a scooter. It's scary. Find an empty parking lot to reconstruct what happened, and learn how to not do it again. From a person who's had two spills and a few near misses (on the scooter, haven't dropped my bike yet) . Happy riding.
I have just written a fairly long reply to this but somehow lost it and don't have the time to do it again so I will give you the short version. In my state, Illinois, helmet laws are nonexistent. Nine out of ten riders DO NOT WEAR HELMETS when the weather allows them to be comfortable without them and most still go bare even when the air is cool. I have often seen a man and his wife going down the highway, both of them with their hair flying. The only way I can account for this is: Most people do not ride enough to have had any of those shit happens moments when you suddenly find yourself diving into the asphalt for no reason you have had time to discern. Twice this has happened to me. Both times my trusty helmet saved me from having a really screwed up day.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Bash On! wrote:In Texas, you're free to be as stupid as you want, without guv'mint interference. Hence, you'll see lots of folks bare-headed, with shorts, short sleeves, and flip-flops.

Me? After an accident many years ago where my helmet broke into pieces but protected my head, it's ATGATT. If it's just too hot for that, I'll take the car.
Amen brother. Twice in my life I have flipped over the handlebars without having the time to blink before I was head first into the asphalt. In both cases I was doing under 20 mph.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

mtheall wrote:I'm in Texas, too. We're in the 90's weather now and it's only climbing, but that will not stop me from being ATGATT. I've seen riders with a passenger and they are both in shorts, short-sleeve/tank-top shirts, flip-flops, weaving around traffic at 85+mph on the freeway. All I can do is face-palm. I don't see the appeal of putting yourself in such a dangerous situation.
There are old and bold bikers but no old bold ones.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I also just wrote a long reply and it disappeared. Here is the short version. I live in Georgia. South Carolina and Florida are at our borders, among other states (Tennessee, North Carolina, Alabama). We have had occasion to travel to both Florida and South Carolina, neither of which requires anyone 18 or older to wear a helmet. In every instance that we have traveled to either state we have seen many motorcycle riders with no helmet, and sometimes also in tee shirts, shorts and flip flops. I have no idea how they shift in flip flops, but they obviously do. We have come across many motorcycle accidents in these states, and in every case, with many police and emergency vehicles at the scene, there was a body with a sheet covering it. Yet at each of these sites I see other riders going by slowly who do no wear helmets or other protective gear...still. I don't know what it takes to get these types of riders to understand that helmets were created to help them. I even heard a rider at the factory were I retired from grumbling that the government had no right to force them to wear helmets, or seat belts, or not smoke where and when they wanted to. Who do they think will be paying for their ignorance and stupidity?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

I am often interested here in the UK at the varied opinion on open face helmets, it's a widely dispersed opinion. Thankfully we don't see many people riding without a helmet, mainly due to it being illegal.

Mines half black, half high visibility. Just placed an order for a new high vis jacket for long distance rides.
aka DrewJW
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

"Just placed an order for a new high vis jacket for long distance rides."

??? Hi-viz is a good idea for short-distance rides, too.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

How's that lip doing?
Safe and Sound overall and I'm happy about that! :P You're probably correct in guessing that you rolled the throttle as you peeked over the bars. With your hand gripped, it was destined to happen. I'm betting many riders have scared themselves doing exactly that. At an intersection? Yikes!
But....it's the past now. Another experience to learn by. Consider it a MSF lesson refresher....you won't be leaning out anytime soon...maybe never again.
Thanks for sharing that with us flyingz I will "fun tack" that in my head, "do not lean forward over handlebars with hand on throttle whilst bike is running"....(repeat)

Oh! And Cheers for wearing armor and a full lid! It worked, didn't it? Yey!!
......Double cheers for ordering hi-vis!!
"I" Glow in the Day and in the Dark, and "I'm" Proud of it!!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

....Just hit me!!
Bugs and Tarmac bits, that is.
This past Sunday out for a 50 mile ride, gorgeous sun filled day 74 degrees. So Yummy.
With the sun comes bugs. Some Big bugs. Not so yummy. If not for my full helmet I would have been a mess.
Thud, thud, thud heard on me visor. Takes you off guard each smack.
Moral of story....
I'd rather clean my visor than my face ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

DrewJW wrote:I am often interested here in the UK at the varied opinion on open face helmets, it's a widely dispersed opinion. Thankfully we don't see many people riding without a helmet, mainly due to it being illegal.

Mines half black, half high visibility. Just placed an order for a new high vis jacket for long distance rides.
If I had been wearing an open face helmet instead of a full face, I would now have a dandy piece of road rash on the side of my face. I read somewhere that 34% of head injuries in motorcycle accidents are to the face, specifically to the chin. I can now verify this little factoid with personal experience.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

WhiteNoise wrote:How's that lip doing?
Safe and Sound overall and I'm happy about that! :P You're probably correct in guessing that you rolled the throttle as you peeked over the bars. With your hand gripped, it was destined to happen. I'm betting many riders have scared themselves doing exactly that. At an intersection? Yikes!
But....it's the past now. Another experience to learn by. Consider it a MSF lesson refresher....you won't be leaning out anytime soon...maybe never again.
Thanks for sharing that with us flyingz I will "fun tack" that in my head, "do not lean forward over handlebars with hand on throttle whilst bike is running"....(repeat)

Oh! And Cheers for wearing armor and a full lid! It worked, didn't it? Yey!!
......Double cheers for ordering hi-vis!!
"I" Glow in the Day and in the Dark, and "I'm" Proud of it!!
2 days after the impact the swelling is gone. I had a headache for about two days but that is gone now. So 48 hours after my dive I am 100% up and running again.
I have been, since the event, letting my right hand rest in my lap at intersections until the moment when I intend to engage the throttle. That is going to be my mode of operation for the near future at least and maybe forever. The thing of it is, I absolutely have no recall of having moved my wrist. I have long been well aware of the danger associated with unexpected throttle engagements.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by tbln930 »

When I dare venture over into Illinois occasionally it is rare to see a biker with a helmet.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930