Monetization

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Would having ads affect your usage of this site?

Not at all! I come here for fun, and think it's completely ok that you add ads. Go get your money!
71%
A bit. Even if they were non-intrusive, ads ruin the spirit of the site. I wouldn't leave, but may be upset about it.
26%
Yes. Ads would make me come here less.
3%
Hell yes they would affect me. I would leave, and you're a hypocrite. Didn't you promise years ago not to do ads?
No votes

Total votes: 35

AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Monetization

Post by AustinPCX »

As a member since day 1, I say go for it.
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

Yes bring the ads. They run all things we do in life. Something has to pay for them. Ads on websites are a given nowadays. The most annoying ones are the auto play sounds and video.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Personally, I prefer no ads, but this is a free forum, so, like FB and other free online services I use, I am not about to say what you should and shouldn't do with the site. Feel free to do what you like with it.

If ads are put on the site, one option that would be nice is to have the ability to decline certain types of ads if they pop up.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

It just occurred to me yhat when I am on this forum I move back and forth between different vendors that are referred to by members. For example, if someone purchases a seat that I like or a new set of mirrors, I go to the site they refrence and look them up. I guess if the ads are related to our interests it won't be too bad.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
scudder
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: metalic black

Post by scudder »

Put ads on, fine by me. FFS, if you had sold the site ads would have appeared within days anyway without any poll! Nice of you to ask, but it is your site and I am sure we can trust you to not overload it with garbage or pop-ups, gambling sites or dating crap. Keep it fun, make some cash, what could go wrong? Sounds like good sense to me, nothing wrong with making profit from a hobby.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

UK ads along with US ones for gear and bits - many people use sportsbikeshop, ghostbikes, etc, so linking to those would help the site. Still a lot of long term non benefactors though which is dissapointing.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Important enough to "Bump"

Enjoying the forum(s) peeps? Alrighty,
What say you? Feel free to comment, and then...
Please submit your vote (if you haven't done so already) :)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

I consider ads visual pollution, but nothing is free in life...

My question is the other way around: Would you still be enjoying this site if you would run it as a side business? Would the how to section and product recommendations still be our own experience and not influenced by some vendor?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

djcat wrote:My question is the other way around: Would you still be enjoying this site if you would run it as a side business? Would the how to section and product recommendations still be our own experience and not influenced by some vendor?
Is it not already? It has its own revenue stream, and due to liability issues, I no longer own it as a sole proprietorship, it's now its own entity. Since the whole nonsense of a guy trying to sue me, I legally registered a business for the purpose of disassociating the site's liability with myself. That's also why I can post again. :lol:

I post less than I did 2 years ago since I'm working fulltime, taking more than 50% fulltime school, and have a toddler. Freetime is tight at the moment. I'll be posting a LOT more after I finally graduate next year. :oops:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes