Warranty - Diy service or let dealer do it?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Warranty - Diy service or let dealer do it?

Post by Bash On! »

gn2 wrote:
iceman wrote:Mine was £73 + VAT - near £80. And they were on the job less than 30 minutes!
They can't possibly have done a full 600 mile service in that time.
Takes a good bit of that time just to remove the body panels, I would think.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Bash On! wrote:
gn2 wrote:
iceman wrote:Mine was £73 + VAT - near £80. And they were on the job less than 30 minutes!
They can't possibly have done a full 600 mile service in that time.
And the engine has to be stone cold to do the valves correctly.
On the Forza, the spark plug access panel is easily removed with one screw - then the spark plug and valve cover is visible. We could easily mark the edge of the valve cover with some whilte-out type paint to make a 'seal' which would show that the cover has indeed been removed.
Is this possible on the PCX?
Fish
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

fish wrote:
Bash On! wrote:
gn2 wrote:
And the engine has to be stone cold to do the valves correctly.
On the Forza, the spark plug access panel is easily removed with one screw - then the spark plug and valve cover is visible. We could easily mark the edge of the valve cover with some whilte-out type paint to make a 'seal' which would show that the cover has indeed been removed.
Is this possible on the PCX?
Fish

It doesn't we tested it in the late 70s. It doesn't make a fags fart of a difference. Engine just needs not to feel warm to the touch. Even then we couldn't measure any difference from setting the valves, before and after.

More difference was from technique on using feeler gauges. Anyhoo it wouldn't make any difference to your anxieties. None of my four stroke motorcycles have had their valve clearances checked since the last century, sorry millenium. One of them has just under 120k on it.

It's deaf ears isn't it?
mtheall
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by mtheall »

fish wrote:And the engine has to be stone cold to do the valves correctly.
My service manual says 95°F or cooler. Which would be exactly in line with 2you's "not warm to the touch" since it would have to be higher than 98.6°F to be warm to the touch.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Oh come on - not sure about the US but here in the UK I doubt many dealers do the valve check on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd service unless they hear something is wrong or you ask for it (even then . . .). Maybe on the 12,000 service where the service costs starts getting just above £210+VAT (from two London dealers - they all seem to charge more or less the same).
The manual says inspect the valves at every service - your lucky if a dealer actually does one on a 2 yr service.
They probably change the oil, check brake/throttle and some other bits such as lights and that's about it.
My receipt showed a few oil changes (engine and rear drive - yep, not sure why that was!) and some other crap - such as oil disposal charge (in these green times and something they always did but now charge for). No mention of valve check.
Be honest, do you really believe they did it or your 1st service if they charged £70-80?
itcaptainslow
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 125 2015
Color: White/blue

Post by itcaptainslow »

I can never be 100% as I didn't watch them do it. However they made a point of saying they did it and have noted on the invoice words to the effect of "Carried out first service to manufacturer's schedule". They also asked for the bike for at least half a day.

Not conclusive but certainly reasonable-if anything had gone pop as a result of the clearances not being done, I'd be knocking at their door. Irrelevant now as I don't have the PCX anyway, and the Forza's clearances aren't due until 4,000 miles.
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

£69 first service £99 for all services afterwards. Not that bad.
aka DrewJW
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

DrewJW wrote:£69 first service £99 for all services afterwards. Not that bad.
That's much better than I got quoted (prior to purchase) from two London dealers and one ourside London. Then I found out they did not include VAT on the prices either.
Honda cub
Color: white

Post by Honda cub »

Dealer has quoted me £70 to do the first 600 mile service and told me it is pretty much just an oil change, no mention of valve check as per Honda schedule!

How does one stand warranty wise should in the unlikely event something go wrong with the engine and the valve check has not been performed by the Honda dealer?

Stephen
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

Honda cub wrote:Dealer has quoted me £70 to do the first 600 mile service and told me it is pretty much just an oil change, no mention of valve check as per Honda schedule!

How does one stand warranty wise should in the unlikely event something go wrong with the engine and the valve check has not been performed by the Honda dealer?

Stephen
Dealer would still be liable if you have a papertrail.

The engine is fairly resilient. If the valves are out enough, you'll have starting issues, ticking, or issues at high RPMs, but it is unlikely to drop a valve unless you ignore the issue entirely for a long time. Regardless, I'd open the owner's manual, show them the page with the maintenance schedule showing a valve adjustment at first service, and see their response... Then I'd take it to another dealer.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Tom192
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by Tom192 »

That at Rochdale Honda drew?
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Tom192 wrote:
That at Rochdale Honda drew?
Yeah, got it from their services department.
aka DrewJW
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

Ok... From reading comments I "think" I know the answer to my question...BUT really need confirmation from those in UK who REALLY KNOW..thanks.
My Forza is due its first 12 months annual service......so its half way through its 2 year UK warranty period. Local Honda dealer I bought from is experiencing problems with mechanics...I suspect they only have one mechanic... ( long term sick they say) so are not taking in any servicing of bikes and cannot say when that will change or even if it ever will!
The 12 month period is on 28June and they say there is a one month period after that date when the bike can be serviced and stay within the warranty...so inferring I should just wait....but without any idea if they will have resolved their problem even by 28 July so really not good enough... Taking the Forza to Edinburgh or Glasgow to a Honda dealer for a service is just a pain so I need comfort/confirmation from those in the UK "who know" that getting serviced by one of the independent local bike shops in Stirling definitely keeps the Forza with in the warranty terms in UK?...and if so are there any issues I should ensure are particularly covered by a non Honda dealer service?...Will a non Honda service shop have the necessary information re the Forza for carrying out the service...I have the full Honda Forza service manual book so should I offer them a use of that?...or would they think that cheeky?
Thanks..
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

sorry!!.just noticed I posted this in wrong section...numpty...should have been in Forza general...if anyone wants to move the post I would not object!
thanks
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

You definitely can, but original Honda parts and recommended lubricants must be used, the service schedule followed precisely and all parts and lubricants used need to be documented on the receipt.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
wangsuda
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Silver

Post by wangsuda »

Just had my 1000 km service done at my local Honda dealer. While everything was signed in the book, the receipt shows charges for motor oil and gear oil (both changed). No mention of a valve adjustment. I do know the service dude hooked a computer thingie to it and made a few adjustments. I also had a couple of scratches buffed out. Total time was a little over an hour and the cost was 290 baht (almost USD $9.00). Runs great too.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Wonder what they tweak with the probe - rather than just check things. Surely they don't alter the Mapping do they?
wangsuda
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Silver

Post by wangsuda »

iceman wrote:Surely they don't alter the Mapping do they?
Apologies, I have no idea what that means. What I do know is that my PCX idles smoother and is quicker in mid-range pick-up than before the service. It feels peppier.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

I doubt the mapping was altered, that would be a service update/TSB that surely would be discussed here. Most likely the valves and oil just brought it closer to OEM operational specs.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Honda cub
Color: white

Post by Honda cub »

Just had the first 600 mile service done by the supplying Honda dealer. Including the valve check (confirmed on the service bill) it came to £132. I didn't think that was too bad. The technician also confirmed that the valves were within spec.

Stephen