Long Commute

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Re: Long Commute

Post by Alibally »

Brakes should last between services though. It's not really good enough.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Mister Paul »

Alibally wrote:Brakes should last between services though. It's not really good enough.
Well that depends on the rider and how hard they push and brake. If some riders can get thousands of miles out of a set of pads then if they're wearing quicker for someone else then it's down to the riding style.

Though I suspect that in some cases the linked brakes might contribute if they lead riders to get lazy and use the left lever more than they should. Proper braking should be 70% front.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I realise that ,but 3000 miles for rear brakes has been reported by some people which is not the best. They should last longer than that, unless the calipers are sticking, then it should be a warranty issue.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Alibally wrote:Brakes should last between services though. It's not really good enough.
True. In all my years of driving I've only ever replaced about a dozen pairs of brake shoes and half a dozen pairs of discs.

I do about 40,000 miles a year. A vehicles natural state is stationary, drive or ride properly and you don't need to help it too much. And strangely you can go much faster this way.

Or buy a variator and shit
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Mister Paul wrote:Brake wear isn't about reliability is it? Or service intervals to be honest.
I disagree.
My scooter is my main transport to work, I rely on it to work between services.
I definitely don't want the brakes to stop working on my way to or from work.
This has happened to me, go for the front and rear brakes, only the front works.
Just not good enough.
Mister Paul wrote:Well that depends on the rider and how hard they push and brake. If some riders can get thousands of miles out of a set of pads then if they're wearing quicker for someone else then it's down to the riding style
Generally speaking yes, that's correct, but in the case of the Forza (and SH) the calipers stick due to poor design.
The wear is not down to how I use the brakes, I hardly ever use them and am usually doing less than 20mph when I apply them.
In 20,000 miles I've used them in anger about five times.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

Right, so it's about sticking calipers?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Yes, they stick because they are a bad design and positioned too close to the exhaust.
The pad wear is impossible to inspect properly without removing the exhaust, caliper heatshield and caliper.
Because they stick and cannot be inspected they are not reliable.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mister Paul »

gn2 wrote:Yes, they stick because they are a bad design and positioned too close to the exhaust.
The pad wear is impossible to inspect properly without removing the exhaust, caliper heatshield and caliper.
Because they stick and cannot be inspected they are not reliable.
OK, so we're confusing two different issues.

Service intervals are for periodic maintenance. An 8000 mile service interval on a scooter is pretty good.

Some riders having problems with sticking calipers is a different issue, and if brake pads are wearing early because of this then this isn't a factor in whether service intervals are appropriate or not.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

butch3r wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:Wait! butch3r, how did things work out on the (drill-less) rear rack you wanted for pizza deliveries? You never got back to us. Sign me, curious WN :D
My in-laws pizza place is worried that pizzas will slide around more with the turns on a scooter and there's less shock absorbers on bumps then a car our here in L.A. That's their logic. So it has been a no go so far.
Ah okay. I'm guessIng the In-laws are looking out for You too ;) But Wait! You can still have a rear rack if You want one! It may come in handy one day then you'll be set to go. Just a thought :P

Back to "Putting on the Brakes" (Ritz) :lol: little humor....Very Little
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Here is a little suggestion for those who have a somewhat long ride on their pcx every day. I found a square gel waffle pad at Walmart in the household section close to where I think pillows were. You would have to look for it because it isn't in a prominent area. In any case, I purchased it for my bike and cut it to fit. My wife sewed a protective case for it and I strapped it onto my seat. I have had it on my bike for about 6 months and it has made a difference in my ride comfort. I am thinking of having her sew valcro straps on it that can be connected under the seat. In any case, it was quite inexpensive and may be just what is needed for long rides. Just a thought.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Bigboss242

Post by Bigboss242 »

I live in chino CA. I own the Honda forza so far I have had no issues with sticking breaks and have drove as far as redlands. Done my 8k service and had my fuel pump replaced. No issues so far. My only complaint is there is no way to get the proper rear tire size.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:
butch3r wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:Wait! butch3r, how did things work out on the (drill-less) rear rack you wanted for pizza deliveries? You never got back to us. Sign me, curious WN :D
My in-laws pizza place is worried that pizzas will slide around more with the turns on a scooter and there's less shock absorbers on bumps then a car our here in L.A. That's their logic. So it has been a no go so far.
Ah okay. I'm guessIng the In-laws are looking out for You too ;) But Wait! You can still have a rear rack if You want one! It may come in handy one day then you'll be set to go. Just a thought :P

Back to "Putting on the Brakes" (Ritz) :lol: little humor....Very Little

Young Frankenstein?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Correct! :) Tippin' my hat 2yous! A Great movie! Always lmao
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You