Sold my 2011 PCX 125cc, a couple of thoughts post ownership.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Sold my 2011 PCX 125cc, a couple of thoughts post ownership.

Post by OriginalRocket »

Sad yet happy day for me on Sunday the 12th of July, 2015.

I sold my purchased new 2011 Honda PCX 125cc scooter. for 1700 cash. Just turned over 13,000 miles. I had it for sale since March, Took a long time to get any offers above 1600. Tons of low balls claiming my mileage was the main reason.

Couple of thoughts post ownership:

* 1 qt oil changes made life easy. Sure it was "overfilled" slightly. But with no filter on the engine I'd just drain out, then crack open just 1 quart and dump it in. (about .95L for our previous rulers.) I stayed to a 2,000 mile oil interval using any XX-30 full synthetic oil I could get on sale or cheap. None made a difference in feel or fuel economy.

* Speaking of filter, That screen served no purpose past the break-in. I'd checked it every time until I pasted 3500 miles and just never opened it again. Nothing ever caught in it except for metal chunks at the 600 mile service. LEAVE IT ALONE!

* Tires and brakes: I managed 10,500 miles on the stock IRC tires. Could have gone another 1,000 but I had Michelin city grips in the garage just waiting, and I did /paid the dealer a major service at 10,500 miles. The city grips are much much better than the stock, but the stock where not bad, except for wet riding. Brake wise. I'm about half on the disc pads up front. No idea on the rear, never had to adjust. Never use the back brake anyways. I hate the combined braking system. Wish it had ABS though. Every scooter, motorcycle needs ABS.

*Seat: I kept it stock. For 1 hour or less rides, I was fine. But after that, man did I want to get a new seat. But what's the point, the tank is only 1.6 gallons. I'd be out of fuel soon anyways, or on the return trip home. So I didn't see the point. Now the new 2.1 PCX150's I see the point. Much longer riding time potential.

*General maintenance: Just follow the book. It works great and keeps the cost down. ***ONE EXCEPTION; valve adjustments. Ignore them. Do it at 600 per the manual, then check again 3000 miles. From that point on leave them alone. I got nervous and checked again at 10,000 miles. (7000 mile interval) No movement, still within spec. I changed my belt at the 10k, that was pointless. Only worn down .5mm. Honda says 20k, they are dead on, change the drive belt at 20k.

*Practicality: Nothing I buy forthcoming will be as practical. This PCX is truelly a great city runabout. Storage is adequate for its size. Good quick grocery getter! It's so nimble I'd scrape the center stand in turns. I could park anywhere my body would fit. Insurance was dirt cheap for 300k/300k coverage. I didn't care if it got stolen or not. (I would care,but I'd easily get more than I paid for it back.) My favorite parking spots were the space left from the cart corrals. (shopping car return) I'd pull in/out and get the thumbs up from everyone, bravo for using that space that no one else can! Maintenance was a breeze. CVT Belt drive is nice for this application. No trains oil, no clunking, quieter drive than a chain.

Yes, I'm going to miss my initiant machine into the world of 2 wheeled motorized vehicles. But I'm not sad. It helped highlight what i wanted in a motorcycle. I purchased a 2012 Honda NC700X DCT with ABS and am beyond satisfied with my purchase. I am getting married and moving in October of this year, and have to downsize my stuff. The scooter sale is helping to pay for another joy in my life, marrying the love of my life. Sappy I know, but the truth.

You can find me actively on the Honda nc700 forums, by the same username. I enjoyed my time on hondapcx.org Maddie really made a great forum with useful knowledge. I've sent the link to the new owner of the pcx, hopefully he will join on.

My last photo of the PCX, the photo that sold it: Image

Cheers,
Originalrocket

P.S. - in 13,000 miles and 3.5 years of ownership I went though the following:
2 tires (1F, 1R)
10 qts of oil
1 drive belt
1 air filter
1 spark plug
1 rear taillight bulb (the low constant on had burned out)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Sold my 2011 PCX 125cc, a couple of thoughts post owners

Post by Jge64 »

Great write up.....thanks and good luck
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Original Rocket, Your PCX looks New!! 8)

Very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to gather all your info and more thanks for sharing it. It's been a pleasure having you aboard and your expertise has been well appreciated. Congrats on marrying your dream lover. Sappy? No Never!!
Enjoy life, ride your new beast safely always....& with a smile. Cheers to the three of you! :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
wallacem
Year: 2011
Color: white

Post by wallacem »

Great info. I too, have a 2011 PCX125 with 5200 miles on her. I also have a 2015 CTX700DCT with 4000 miles on her. Love having both. I also have a 2009 Harley Ultra Classic I use for serious hwy running. I constantly get 85mpg on the PCX, and 68mpg on the CTX, and 50mpg on the Harley. Life is good. Wallacem in Ga
foggyhelmet
Regular User
Regular User

Post by foggyhelmet »

Nice. Have the 2013 PCX150 and the ride after an hour is pretty bad. It's akin to riding a sailboat if you choose to take it to the highway.

Well paved roads and smooth dirt roads ride like a dream.