Unspoken Law of "The Nod"

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Unspoken Law of "The Nod"

Post by ScooteringAbout »

you you wrote:Is it really that important?
Are you important?

:lol:
aka DrewJW
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Yep same here, low two fingers, nod or.....nada.
Then there's always the rowdy towner's breakfast biker bunch!
image.jpg
image.jpg (78.25 KiB) Viewed 1507 times
I just couldn't resist :lol:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Vesper2112
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

Post by Vesper2112 »

It's been a mixed bag around here (Chattanooga area). At first, it was pretty cool to get the low two finger wave (does anyone else think that could sound dirty?), but the first guy that did it probably think I was stuck up since it took me by surprise and I didn't react quickly enough. So for a while, I watched for other bikes and try to mirror what's thrown at me. I'm also of the belief that some don't realize I'm on a scooter as they approach, but whatever. :-) I've now pretty much settled into the pattern of nodding at every bike that passes by. If they choose to reciprocate, then cool. If not... no biggie.
vamootsman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by vamootsman »

I just ride and smile. I couldn't give a rats A$$ who acknowledges me or not when I'm riding as long as no one runs me over. Most bikers laugh in a parking lot when they realize what it is, and dismiss it with a chuckle and head-shake, but will give me a nod or some "cool" hand gesture on the road as long as they don't know its a scooter. So screw'm. I love this this thing!
2013 PCX 150 with,
Givi Tall Screen, and E370 Top Case
NCY Variator and Face Plate, 12 gram rollers
Takagawa Silent Oval Exhaust, K&N R1100 pod filter mod
YSS XL Rear Shock Absorbers Michelin City Grip 120/70 Front 140/70 Rear
2013 Honda CB500X with Rally Raid kit
2005 Piaggio X9 500 Evolution
1982 Honda CX500 Turbo
1983 Honda Nighthawk S
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

The contrasting experience is pretty interesting to me.

Back on the PCX, it's rare for anyone to make any kind of acknowledgement to me. Might be a once a week occurrence. But just today I started riding on my CB300F and pretty much anyone who rode in the opposite lane made some kind of a waving gesture to me, which I might awkwardly try to return as I'm still a little twitchy about letting go of my clutch in fear of killing my engine.
scudder
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: metalic black

Post by scudder »

In Spain, not a nod or a wave, ever! I nod to car drivers if I am letting them in or turn but that is it. Nada on the hola folks. I think it is all a bit too machismo here for bikers yet everyone double kisses on meeting everywhere else, men, women, kids, etc. Maybe I should try air kissing other riders :-)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Valiant wrote:I'm still a little twitchy about letting go of my clutch in fear of killing my engine.
Only touch the clutch whaen you use it to change gear, do not rest your fingers on it and do not sit holding it in at traffic lights etc, always select neutral.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

The shift to neutral has been kicking my ass. Every time I try to stick it there, I'm either in 1st or 2nd. Damned leg is also sore where the screws went in <_<

I've also found that not depressing the clutch all the way tends to kill the engine if I'm stopped.

The MSF course also drilled into my head that the answer to life, the universe, and everything is the clutch.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Old trick from my Ducati days: select neutral while still moving as you roll to a stop.
I had a Pantah 500 mk1 which simply would not select neutral with the engine running while stationary.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Actually, I generally find it easier to get to neutral by giving the shifter a small tap from 2nd like tapping your feet to a tune. Getting it into neutral from 1st is fairly difficult, as trying to use light to medium pressure gets me nowhere, while a hard shove up will pop it into 2nd.

Back on topic though, it is pretty funny how you get snubbed riding a PCX, but once your butt is on a motorcycle, you get to be part of the cool kids club. I'm waiting in eager anticipation for people I don't know to pull up and have a chat with me.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

It should loosen up a bit with use.
Nice little bike, unfortunately not sold here, only the faired version. :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Both Great tips and advice from gn2 on use of clutch ;)
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Mister Paul »

Anyway, these days it's not really a nod. More of a cock.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mister Paul wrote:Anyway, these days it's not really a nod. More of a cock.

Let's have a competition for best post ever. I nominate this one :D
novapersona
Color: Black

Post by novapersona »

I throw the peace sign down to the side if I initiate the greeting, the two finger acknowledgement if I'm replying, and the nod if my hands and eyes are busy on the road. This is after I did a raised hand wave, and looked it up and saw only noobies like me do that! Xb
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Pity there isn't a more universal guidebook to these hand signs. Had a guy point his hand to the road and wasn't sure if he was trying to indicate a hazard to me or something.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Valiant wrote:Pity there isn't a more universal guidebook to these hand signs. Had a guy point his hand to the road and wasn't sure if he was trying to indicate a hazard to me or something.

A guide book?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Live love learn enjoy n ride what cha like ;) Wave, nod, 2fer fingers away. All in fun, n fun for all. No acknowledgement? Frig'em!
Here's some biker to biker sign/talk: :ugeek: Cool Dude!
http://www.viewfromthecloud.com/2006/08 ... s.html?m=1
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

How about this one
Attachments
speeding-ticket.jpg
speeding-ticket.jpg (126.57 KiB) Viewed 1411 times
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

WhiteNoise wrote:Both Great tips and advice from gn2 on use of clutch ;)

Reasonable people can differ. I usually don't put the bike into neutral at stops unless both hands are needed for some quick task. Keeping it in first gear allows you to quickly move the bike in case a distracted driver doesn't see you stopped (eye on mirrors until vehicle behind you fully stops) or you need to get out of the way of some other mayhem. More distracted drivers = more need to do this nowadays.

Regarding getting into neutral, you'll quickly figure out how your bike likes to be shifted. As already mentioned, shifting into neutral as you're rolling works, as does experimenting shifting either up from first or down from second. You can also slightly let out the clutch, rolling forward a smidgen, and then re-engage the clutch. Sometimes that's enough to move transmission "stuff" into better alignment.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?