2011 Honda PCX oil question help

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Yellow Cat

2011 Honda PCX oil question help

Post by Yellow Cat »

Owners manual states to use JASO MB, but I cant find that anywhere, even at authorized honda dealers.
The only oil they had was 10W40, ANSI SJ, JASO MA.
The guy said that it would be fine, I called honda motorcycle usa and the operator didnt really explain anything and just said the generic answer of "follow what the manual says".
Anyways, will it be ok if I use the MA? Or will it mess up my bike?
Thanks for the help.
Bike currently has 950miles.
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Re: 2011 Honda PCX oil question help

Post by Cascanciu »

Hi, and welcome to the forums.

I think most of us had a similar problem. Difference between MB and MA is that MA is meant for bikes with wet clutches, as opposite to MB. MA does not contain anti-friction additives, whereas MB does. There are different opinions on whether using an MA oil is bad for your engine or not. My thought is that it shouldn't be that bad, but using MB is preferable.

Your Honda dealer should be able to get you the 10w-30 JASO MB oil upon request. Mine has been. If they still insist that they can't, buy some Castrol 5w-40 for scooters, which is JASO-MB (can't remember the exact commercial denomination of it, sorry) and you'd be fine.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Cascanciu wrote:Hi, and welcome to the forums.

I think most of us had a similar problem. Difference between MB and MA is that MA is meant for bikes with wet clutches, as opposite to MB. MA does not contain anti-friction additives, whereas MB does. There are different opinions on whether using an MA oil is bad for your engine or not. My thought is that it shouldn't be that bad, but using MB is preferable.

Your Honda dealer should be able to get you the 10w-30 JASO MB oil upon request. Mine has been. If they still insist that they can't, buy some Castrol 5w-40 for scooters, which is JASO-MB (can't remember the exact commercial denomination of it, sorry) and you'd be fine.

Just use any good quality 5-30. Or 10-40 at a push
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fiah »

Any 5w-30, 10w-30 or 10w-40 will be fine really. For temperate weather, I'd recommend 5w-30. If you're somewhere hot: 10w-40. The thinner (5W-30) oil will net you a bit better fuel economy than the 10W-40, especially when it's cold!

Don't worry about JASO MA or MB, for our PCX it's not relevant. JASO MA oils are made specifically to work with the wet clutches that are ubiquitous in motorcycles, so if you hop by your Honda dealer, you'll probably get some JASO MA 10W-40 because that's what they use on every other Honda. The PCX though has no such clutch, we have a dry centrifugal clutch in the real wheel hub, which is not touched by oil at all.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

The PCX though has no such clutch, we have a dry centrifugal clutch in the real wheel hub, which is not touched by oil at all.
The above is the most important bit -- since the PCX has a dry clutch separate from the engine oil, motorcycle oil is not required. Any standard, synthetic car oil of the right weight will work.

Use a fully-synthetic, name-brand oil, of 10W30 or 10W40 (see the user manual, it shows what oil is best for which temperatures). 5W-30 is fine too, like Fiah suggested.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I special ordered the MB from my dealer who only carries the MA. (I think they don't want a wet clutch bike getting it by mistake maybe??? Also, maybe a car 4-stroke syn oil is just a bit better than using MA for our scooters???
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

SECoda wrote:I special ordered the MB from my dealer who only carries the MA. (I think they don't want a wet clutch bike getting it by mistake maybe??? Also, maybe a car 4-stroke syn oil is just a bit better than using MA for our scooters???

You (and your bike) wouln't notice any difference between any.
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I know. It would be interesting to try to measure the difference in friction in a lab. They are using Moly as the anti-friction additive in MB but the spec has MA and MB very close - if fact the top and bottom of the ranges are the same (i.e. top of one is the bottom of the other). Top speed, mileage, engine wear?
frog13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: white

Post by frog13 »

The engineers specified it's use based on results I bet / education , not on guess work .
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SmellyTofu »

I noticed no difference between the Honda HP4M and Mobil 1 5W30. Fuel economy appears to be the same.
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Metallic Black

Post by jkautz »

So if my temperature in my area will be in the 90's I should run 10w40? Or will 10w30 be okay?

2015 PCX150 Metallic Black
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

A few other oil topic threads. Hope it helps and doesn't confuse matters :geek:

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3775
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2253
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3065

Honda 2015 PCX Specified oil can be bought here: (mine was just shipped ;)
http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Honda-Synthet ... stroke+oil
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You