Left brake lever pivot screw!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

scudder
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: metalic black

Left brake lever pivot screw!

Post by scudder »

Just had my first 'off' at a set of traffic lights thanks to a Spanish female cutting a red light. I had to brake hard and the skid ended in a topple. No real harm done except light grazing to my arm and leg. A broken Kappa high screen and a couple of scratches to the plastic tub. All good considering what might have happened.

Why the strange title? Well on the resulting safety inspection before I drove off I noticed the left hand brake handle pivot screw was protruding by almost 1 cm. This is not normal and certainly nothing to do with the spill. Got the cross head screw driver out and tightened it up. Just wonder why this not a nut and bolt the same as the right hand brake lever? Surely it is imperative that screws do not come loose on a braking system. I shall be looking into changing that out for a nut and bolt with a nylock on it soon.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Left brake lever pivot screw!

Post by homie »

Chief says "be honest, you thought you could escape the (dump list) with that title"

As for the difference between the brake lever bolts you made me get up and go look... and you are right! That is a queer mis-match for hardware on PCX brake levers. Fate has intervened, if you had not been inspecting your bike after the off you might have pulled a dead stick when you REALLY needed to stop.
Attachments
chief.jpg
chief.jpg (4.68 KiB) Viewed 670 times
Trekker85

Post by Trekker85 »

I have this problem. I discovered it when I had my bar muffs on and found a nut in them. It had come off the underside of the brakelever pivot screw. I have tried putting it back on but always falls of so have given up and just keep and eye on it and tighten it up whenever it gets loose. I might try a nylock nut if I can find one the right size.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Wait a minnie, it's coming back to me now
Last edited by WhiteNoise on Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Glad you're okay scudder.
When I first got my '15 scoot I took a lot of photo's to post here on the forum. It was then that I noticed the rear brake lever screw not fully threaded in (loose). I thought the very same as you after looking at the front brake lever. Why did Honda Not use the same hardware? Okay, more is going on where the front brake lever joins but....Hey, Do it right! Left to moi, I tightened 'er up before my first ride.
Wow, that Was Not a Good Find at all! C'mon Honda preppers we're paying you for the initial once over. We calls it......"Staying Alive"

Good on you scudder for pre-ride EVAL ;) Other's take heed :ugeek:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You