Do I need a new battery?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Do I need a new battery?

Post by waspmike »

Jge64 wrote:A battery that's been flattened a couple times loses its ability to hold a full charge long-term. I
I sell electric fences and some of the units will shut off when the backup battery reaches 10.5v for the above reason. If we visit customers and their battery is lower than 10.5 we replace it.
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

Yep...I'll let you guys know the outcome. It's been charging for about 12 hours now. I'll do as you suggest and leave it on for 24 hours.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Kermit wrote:Oddly, it turned green within about 15 minutes. I'm still leaving it charging overnight.
The battery might show a full charge ok but may still be faulty. I've seen batteries that show good voltage but break down under load.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Kermit wrote:Oddly, it turned green within about 15 minutes. I'm still leaving it charging overnight.

It's mouldy, throw it out.
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

you you wrote:

It's mouldy, throw it out.
you you, I believe you are correct. I have concluded that I definitely need a new battery. After multiple rides and a couple of times sitting on the tender, she's dead.

Well, this will be my first experience changing out a battery.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Well, that takes care of that! A new battery it will be! No worries after that Kermit :P

Removing the battery:
Make sure scoot is turned off
Remove the Negative cable first
Then Remove the Positive

Installing a battery: (opposite of removing)
Make sure scoot is turned off
Connect the Positive Cable first
Then Connect the Negative

Good luck, You can do it ;)

I'm thinking of bringing my battery in this winter. No wait! I bought an electric heater last year for the garage...I almost forgot :roll: I'll leave the battery tender on. All should be good ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

WhiteNoise, you make it sound easy...that's good! :)
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

Okay...I've never bought a new motorcycle/scooter battery before. Procaliber has the OEM battery for $85. JCWhitney $63. Amazon $42....BatterySharks $21 (will this be a POS?) I could keep looking, but what am I really looking for? Should I just suck it up and get the OEM battery? Or can I get away with cheaper model? I want something that will last.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Not sure if any of them are higher rated (APH) than the '13 models battery - the new LED battery is much better and has a higher APH rating than earlier models (also the charging circuit is better to stop taking too much from the battery with lots of stop-starts). Not sure if you can put a higher rated battery in but probably ok to do so? (as long as the charging circuit can charge it properly). I'd stay clear of the cheapest ones - £15 seems to cheap. $40-60 does not seem much for a reliable battery - it should last longer than the life of the scoot!