PCX ?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Spy

PCX ?

Post by Spy »

Hi all,

I am looking at getting a 125cc scooter for commuting into London.

My heart is saying a Vespa 3V LX but my head is saying a Honda PCX or PS.

My main criteria is:
1 Safety/Handling,
2 Reliability
3 Speed

Did anyone here go through teh same dilemma. If not the with teh Vespa, with choosing between the PS and the PCX.

The PCX seems to have a touch more storage space and is more economical but the PS has the traditional upgright seating position and more accelerations (according to the Honda salesman).

Any advice or thoughts ?
louthepoo
Regular User
Regular User

Re: PCX ?

Post by louthepoo »

I always go with my heart! My heads boring!
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

Go with what you feel happiest and most comfortable with. I would say for London traffic that speed is not an issue (I have driven coaches into London) Having said that the PCX is no slouch
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Spy wrote:My main criteria is:
1 Safety/Handling

The PCX with bigger wheels is a clear winner on handling
Spy wrote:2 Reliability

Not much to pick between them but the Vespa service intervals are much longer meaning lower running costs.
Spy wrote:3 Speed

Nothing to pick between them
Spy wrote:Did anyone here go through teh same dilemma. If not the with teh Vespa, with choosing between the PS and the PCX.

The PCX seems to have a touch more storage space and is more economical but the PS has the traditional upgright seating position and more accelerations (according to the Honda salesman).

Salesman is just trying to shift an old dog, imo the PCX is Hondas best vfm 125 scooter by a significant margin but Honda's best 125 is the S-wing.
The seating position is much the same on them all.
Spy wrote:Any advice or thoughts ?
Buy the one you want the most.
If you want a Vespa then get a Vespa ;)
If you are on a budget a Honda Vision 110 is a good choice.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Spy

Post by Spy »

Thanks for the advice guys, particularly your breakdown GN2.

I was interested in your reference regarding handling on the PCX with bigger wheels.

Does that mean, compared to a Vespa GTS or LX, the PCX would:
- handle better in the wet ?
- weave in and out of traffic easier and more nimbler ?
super_g

Post by super_g »

I bought the PCX back in February and I was looking at the Honda 110 and Vespa 150 and really thought I was buying the Honda 110. I ended up with the PCX because I found it more stable at speeds 30mph+ and I like the extra power over the 110. The Vespa was more money and I couldn't justify the expense, especially since I liked the Honda more. The bikes with the smaller wheels feel sort of skittish, where the PCX feels very solid. It has been nearly perfect scooter, just wish I had extra 25cc of the newer 150. Although I think you end up wanting something just a little bigger no matter the size. I have no regrets and really enjoy it.

I think the other guys have described it nicely, it depends on what you feel the most comfortable.

Good luck
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Spy wrote:I was interested in your reference regarding handling on the PCX with bigger wheels.

Does that mean, compared to a Vespa GTS or LX, the PCX would:
- handle better in the wet ?
- weave in and out of traffic easier and more nimbler ?
The bigger wheels mean better stability and ability to cope with bumps/surface breaks better.
Wet conditions, the key factor is tyres.
They will all be good at manoevering in traffic but the PCX will be more stable at higher speeds.
The reason I bought my PCX was price, when I got mine it was nearly a grand less than a Vespa, that gap has closed up a bit and with the new LX 3V having such good service intervals its now a harder choice.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

The PCX will be more stable in traffic maneuvers, but the Vespa will probably be more twitchy. It all boils down to preference in that case.

The Vespa will get 75-80mpg, the PCX 90-95mpg... Both possibly more if you drive like grandma.

The PCX will be quieter -- the Vespa is aircooled, not watercooled. Most people in the scooter rallies I go to can't even tell my PCX is on, it's so quiet.

The PCX is certainly more economical if you plan on doing your own maintenance, but I'd argue that Vespa components are of higher quality from firsthand experience. If Vespas weren't so ridiculously expensive in the USA, I would have purchased a Vespa instead of a Honda. The Honda engine is probably a bit more solid, but the Vespa's drivetrain, body, and frame are all much more robust than any Honda frames or tupperware.

Don't get me wrong -- the PCX is nice. But it's definitely not Honda's premier luxury scooter (the SWing is), and it definitely isn't as well-built as the Vespa is. It's a good, solid, cool-looking economy scooter. Since that's what I bought it for, it has met and exceeded my expectations. If I was looking for less efficiency, more fashion, and more luxury, I would have spent the extra $1000 or so and gone with a S 150 IE. It's all about what you want, a scooter's about having fun. Ride both, pick the one that you feel is more fun. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The LX 3V is a new engine, it's more economical than the previous one and has 6000 mile service intervals.
Fuel consumption should be on a par with the PCX.
The aircooling means fewer things to go wrong and reduced maintenance over liquid cooling.
If you live near the coast or are a learner the Vespas metal monocoque is a disadvantage because it corrodes and is very expensive to have repaired properly if you dent it.
The Vespa has less onboard storage than the PCX but does have a flat deck, useful for carrying larger items.
If you can afford the higher purchase price of the Vespa, its the one to go for if you plan on keeping it for a long time.
Spy

Post by Spy »

Thanks guys interesting view points.

As both manufacturers have 0% interest free credit on offer, the difference in monthly cost is not big hence why I am looking at both.

I think if I was forking out the cash up front, the PCX would be a no brainer.

I prefer the Vespa GTS body but like the sound of the new 3V engine in the LX.

The PCX might be a better buy though if it is easier to repair dents etc but I think the service intervals ae shorter at 2,500 miles !
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:The LX 3V is a new engine, it's more economical than the previous one and has 6000 mile service intervals.
Fuel consumption should be on a par with the PCX.
The aircooling means fewer things to go wrong and reduced maintenance over liquid cooling.
If you live near the coast or are a learner the Vespas metal monocoque is a disadvantage because it corrodes and is very expensive to have repaired properly if you dent it.
The Vespa has less onboard storage than the PCX but does have a flat deck, useful for carrying larger items.
If you can afford the higher purchase price of the Vespa, its the one to go for if you plan on keeping it for a long time.

Don't want to bore on the the PCX has to all practicable purposes 5,000 mile service intervals.

Buy the one you want and enjoy it
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

qed wrote:Don't want to bore on the the PCX has to all practicable purposes 5,000 mile service intervals.
The PCX valve clearance check interval is 2500 and the Vespa's is 6000.
Whether you're on d-i-y, independent or main dealer servicing the Vespa LX 3V has a much lower maintenance requirement than a PCX.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
qed wrote:Don't want to bore on the the PCX has to all practicable purposes 5,000 mile service intervals.
The PCX valve clearance check interval is 2500 and the Vespa's is 6000.
Whether you're on d-i-y, independent or main dealer servicing the Vespa LX 3V has a much lower maintenance requirement than a PCX.

Deja vu

At least the audible valve clearance check on the Vespa will be easier
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Can you explain that?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Can you explain that?

It's air cooled
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I doubt that would make much difference in a small scooter engine.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I think it's important to note that most PCX owners have concluded that the valve adjustment interval is silly, and at least go double that between checks.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Spy

Post by Spy »

I think the new 3V is now liquid cooled as opposed to air cooled.

SO just to confirm as I am a little confused now. Is the official PCX service interval 2,500 or 5,000 after the first service at 6 months ?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I think you'll find that only the GT models are liquid cooled.
After the first service the official service interval for the PCX is at 2500 miles or six months then at 2500 mile or six month intervals whichever comes first.

@54 seconds:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Spy wrote:I think the new 3V is now liquid cooled as opposed to air cooled.

SO just to confirm as I am a little confused now. Is the official PCX service interval 2,500 or 5,000 after the first service at 6 months ?
Forced air apparently

Servicing is every six months or 2,500 miles is my understanding