Lesson Learned on 8,000km (5,000m) Service

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Lesson Learned on 8,000km (5,000m) Service

Post by JohnL »

I booked my PCX in for its 8,000km service about 3 weeks ago, as it's about to come out of warranty (only 12 months in Oz).

As we were going away for a short break I only put the bike in on last Monday. There were absolutely no problems worth mentioning, so as far as I was concerned it was a simple service. My mistake, when I picked it up there was a bill of $380.00 waiting for me.

I queried the amount and the service manager informed me they had done a valve check and that was the reason for the high amount. I had forgotten to specify no valve check when it was booked in, so paid the price.

The kind of good news, when I asked the mechanic if they needed adjustment he said they were completely in spec and needed no adjustment.

As it's probably the last time it goes in for a service it won't be a drama in the future, but just to make sure I asked them to mark my file "no valve checks" in future.

The only laugh I got out of this was the report suggested the right brake lever needs replacing, because when I had my off, the end of the black lever has a paint chip about 3mm square. :D :D
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Re: Lesson Learned on 8,000km (5,000m) Service

Post by dkazzed »

Wow. A lot of Honda mechanics around here think Honda's valve check interval is absurd and won't touch them until at least 12,000km unless the customers absolutely insist.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Maybe most are in spec or just out, and it does not seem to causes any problems. If the bike is reliable, starts 1st time and gives good performance and economy then things cannot be that far out - can they?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

What can I say :D :D

It won't be fool and money but that does cross my mind and I guess yours

And you won't be the last

It's a twicklywickly two valve scooter engine that no amount of angst polishing will change its simple engineering

It's not it's problem
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

you you wrote:What can I say :D :D

It won't be fool and money but that does cross my mind and I guess yours
:) :) Yes :D :D

Worst part was I got a quote from them about a month ago, it was $220.00, with no mention of a valve check.

I assumed that was it, but we all know what happens when we assume!

Heehaw heehaw.

We move on, it's just another shitty day in paradise :lol: :lol:
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

dkazzed wrote:Wow. A lot of Honda mechanics around here think Honda's valve check interval is absurd and won't touch them until at least 12,000km unless the customers absolutely insist.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I was told at my Honda dealer, though in miles (7500).
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I wonder how many have paid for the so called valve check but the dealer has not looked at them - quite a few I would imagine. Not saying that's the case here, but if they are actually checked down the line and found to be out, well, the dealer can always say they drifted out since they checked :)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Oh boy,...Ah well
So you bought yourself some peace of mind John :) Just another day in the life. Ride safe, have Fun!!!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

i've been telling people here for years that there is no valve check specified in the japanese service manuals and the chief mechanic at my local honda dream shop (flagship official honda motorcycle shops in japan) says that we will check the valves when and if they seem to need to be checked. the PCX is ubiquitous here in japan and he deals with a gazzillion of these in his shop.

if you like to tinker with your bike, go ahead and check them. if you need to pay to get it done, you'd probably save enough to buy a new bike over paying to have them checked every 2500 miles!