Should I trade it in?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

Should I trade it in?

Post by Branyers14 »

Oh man, there's a used Silverwing at my dealership, 2012 model, 5900 miles. They will trade my Forza for $2K. Should I take the plunge for that amount? I really want something that can handle tours and cruise smoothly at 80mph. While the Forza is a capable machine, it is really screaming at 80mph. I want something that just floats along. Help please!
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Should I trade it in?

Post by fish »

They want your Forza and $2k ?
How many.miles, what yr Forza?
Fish
Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers14 »

Yes, 2014 Forza with 2000 miles. Silverwing has just under 6K miles but I know it is good for many more. I fired it up and it runs strong.
Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers14 »

Should I offer $1250 and work from there? I want the Wing.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If they want your Forza plus $2k, just say yes please and stump up the cash.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers14 »

gn2 wrote:If they want your Forza plus $2k, just say yes please and stump up the cash.

Agreed, but since $2K was their initial offer, I'm thinking I have some wiggle room.
Blackbeard1718
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Blackbeard1718 »

Branyers14!

Funny you posted this. A couple of weeks ago, I was calling an Out-Of-Town (30 Miles) Honda/Suzuki Dealer, looking for a Burgman 400. This is before I found the Forza locally, and to be a good fit for me, saving me an extra 60'ish pounds of Scooter weight to manage with the Burg 400.

Anyway..... the Sales Rep I usually deal with, had a Used 2009 & 2007 Yamaha Majesty, and a Used Honda Silverwing..... WITH 300 MILES ON IT!!! Not sure what the year was, but they were offering it to me for $6,900 at the time. The New Owner, an elderly Gent, was hoping to get his wife interested in Riding 2-Up. She rode it on one Road Trip, and it scared the hell out of her, so the Gent Sold it back to the Dealer, with 300 Miles on the ODO. Too big of a machine for me, but if it's something you might be interested in..... if the other one doesn't pan out..... and the Dealer still has it..... the Dealer is:

Kent Powersports
15664 IH 35 N Selma, TX 78154
Sales Rep: Steve

MO isn't that far from TX, and a Flight Down and Ride Back, might just be what the Doc ordered!

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB
Blackbeard

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Current Scoot: 2014 Honda Forza 300 ABS (Red October)

Former Scoots: TNG Verona 150, Kymco People S200, Kymco People S250, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Ruckus 50, Yamaha Zuma 125, Kymco People GTi300, Honda Big Ruckus PS250
Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers14 »

Well I took the plunge for $2000 and my Forza. They could not be talked down any.

The Silverwing is really not that much larger than the Forza, but it is hella heavy! I am just using the side stand for now. I was wrong about the mileage, it has 8900 miles on it. Still starts right up and runs very strong. Very well built machine, and FAST!!!!!
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: red

Post by TonyM »

Congratulations Branyers! You got a good deal and 8900 miles is nothing. It is heavy and that's why I had to trade mine in. I hope that yours has the ABS (my 2007 did not). It is well built and comfortable and you will love it for touring. It is fast and the twin cylinder engine sounds so nice too. The center stand lift is not too bad once you learn how to use it - most of the work is done by your foot as you press down on it and use your hand to just guide it up (not to lift it).

I'm going to a Suzuki dealer tomorrow morning to look at a new Burg 400 ABS and possible trade in my new Forza ABS with less than 900 miles on it. Unfortunately, it's not working for me.
US Army vet
Previous rides: many motorcycles; 2007 Honda Silverwing; 2009 Kymco S250; and 2008 Burg 400
Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers14 »

Hey thanks a lot! Mine does indeed have ABS. I had more trouble actually getting it OFF the center stand. I have a bad back too, and I can see where the bike might get me into to trouble on an off day. So I will stick with the side stand for now.

I know what you mean about the Forza. It is not a bad bike, and it is a hoot buzzing around the city. But it is gutless after 70mph and gets blown around quite a bit on the freeway. The seat is not very comfortable and the ride is harsh even with aftermarket shocks. Still a fun bike for the whole 3 months I used it, lol.

I think the Silverwing will keep me happy for another 10000 miles. I plan to ride it year round.

Good luck with the Burgman. Now that is a sharp looking scoot!
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by TonyM »

Great that it has ABS! Oh yeah, I forgot about what it was like to push it off the center stand. I made the mistake a couple of times of parking on the center stand in our driveway which is slanted down towards the street. Man, it took all my strength to get it off the center stand!

Oh, be careful when going slow and using your brakes - do not have your front wheel turned! I made that mistake once and I went down due to the linked braking. Due to its weight and my bad low back, I was unable to hold it up to keep it from going down on its left side. No real damage but a small scrape but it would have been worse.

And you are absolutely right about the Forza - it is fun to ride and it's nice and light and peppy. But the ride (suspension) is lousy and very harsh - it causes pain that shoots straight up my spine. I'm using two Butt Buffer pads on top of the seat to help dampen the ride. And my rides are limited in my area due to the high, very strong winds in our area. I am unable to cross one of the bridges and I avoid riding during the days when the wind is really strong on the main road in and out of town. Not as fun as my S'Wing and Burg were as my riding is very limited now.
US Army vet
Previous rides: many motorcycles; 2007 Honda Silverwing; 2009 Kymco S250; and 2008 Burg 400
Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers14 »

Wind doesn't seem to be an issue for the Silverwing, even though it has the same size tires as the Forza. The stock suspension is also beefier and handles road irregularities much better.

I like the fact that the Wing was manufactured and assembled in Japan. Gives me that peace of mind that this bike was built to last. Pretty sure the Burgman is also assembled in Japan. I think I am done with anything built in China or Thailand. The quality overall is just lacking.
TonyM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by TonyM »

Branyers14, I sure never had a problem with the wind when I had my Silverwing. It was steady, stable, comfortable and fast.

I went ahead and traded in my Forza today and bought a new Burgman 400. I was the happiest guy in the world during the 50 mile ride back home from Sacramento. It feels so nice to ride a comfortable, stable scooter again. The only bad thing is the 600 miles break in period that I have to do again.
US Army vet
Branyers14
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers14 »

TonyM wrote:Branyers14, I sure never had a problem with the wind when I had my Silverwing. It was steady, stable, comfortable and fast.

I went ahead and traded in my Forza today and bought a new Burgman 400. I was the happiest guy in the world during the 50 mile ride back home from Sacramento. It feels so nice to ride a comfortable, stable scooter again. The only bad thing is the 600 miles break in period that I have to do again.
There is nothing to dislike about the Silverwing except for its weight, which I am still getting used to. The Forza is a great bike for scooting around city streets. Very agile at 45-50mph. Anything more than that feels approaching a death wish.
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

If 50mph+ is a death wish on a Forza, what would it be on a PCX150 or even my Vino 125?
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Branyers14 wrote:  Anything more than that feels approaching a death wish.
Err no, the Forza is extremely stable a all speeds.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

Post by dergav »

Quote...Branyers...."The Forza is a great bike for scooting around city streets. Very agile at 45-50mph. Anything more than that feels approaching a death wish."
What nonsense...any visitor reading that and considering a Forza should just ignore. It is a wrong and misleading statement.The Forza is an extremely stable and effective scooter at all its speeds. If anyone is experiencing any problem with a Forza at any speed than there is something wrong with either their individual bike ( get it looked at ) or their riding style.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Mister Paul »

Branyers14 wrote:
TonyM wrote:Branyers14, I sure never had a problem with the wind when I had my Silverwing. It was steady, stable, comfortable and fast.

There is nothing to dislike about the Silverwing except for its weight, which I am still getting used to. The Forza is a great bike for scooting around city streets. Very agile at 45-50mph. Anything more than that feels approaching a death wish.
This isn't right. I've done 2-hour motorway rides at 75-80 with no problems and very reassuring stability.

I commute 35 miles on the motorway every day.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

I loved my Forza for exactly 365 days, but wife and daughter began expressing an interest in riding it with me. My Forza did not have ABS, and we would have been just below the Forza's load capacity.
For the extra safety/peace of mind....I traded up to a new Burgman 400.
Load capacity over 400lbs and ABS.
Loved the smooth Forza engine, and the finish.....but not disliking much about this new Burgman.
Just keep it under 5000 and load and unload the engine for 1000klicks and all will be well with your Burgman.(the oil change/check procedure and the buried gear oil drains are a technical joke from "still angry" Suzuki engineers, I guess.....otherwise nice bike! :-))
Fish
Fish
waybar
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waybar »

About the fastest I ride my Forza is 70 mph ( don't see any reason to have to go any faster ) but have no problems riding at this speed. Still stable and smooth for me even at this speed. The only problem I have is it does ride a little rough on bumpy roads.
Just want to remind everyone to keep an eye on what is going on around you while riding. A friend of mine was hit by a car on his scooter going to work one day last week, and has spinal cord damage. Only time will tell if he will be able to walk again.
Last edited by waybar on Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.