how to winterize?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

oliver
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: red

how to winterize?

Post by oliver »

Hello All,

I bought my Forza last August (first two-wheeler of any kind) and am getting to the time where I need to winterize it.

Any tips on what to do? It will be garaged so I was going to throw a blanket over it and I'm in Georgia so it will get freezing but not excessively so.

Thanks
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: how to winterize?

Post by Jge64 »

oliver wrote:Hello All,

I bought my Forza last August (first two-wheeler of any kind) and am getting to the time where I need to winterize it.

Any tips on what to do? It will be garaged so I was going to throw a blanket over it and I'm in Georgia so it will get freezing but not excessively so.

Thanks
just follow the procedures in the manual...pretty simple. Really, all it needs for a Georgia winter is except a cover if outside, and some sta-bil in the tank and a batt maintainer on the batt or battery in house on a charger.. Don't start it once you store it...
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

The bike will be fine its the house that's coming down... in Georgia there be BIG termites.

and why don't we start them after storage Jge64?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Becaus starting and idling for a few min wil not burn in off the condensed water and other stuff in the oil, it takes a good 20 min ride to do that.
Glen
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

I Forgot...... and this forum has a short edit window, chg oil before going to sleep. Not totally necessary but nice to do.
Glen
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Jge64 wrote:Becaus starting and idling for a few min wil not burn in off the condensed water and other stuff in the oil, it takes a good 20 min ride to do that.
all right I won't start it this winter and when I do I'll ride it for a while.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Aye, like this :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (16.49 KiB) Viewed 1940 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

It was -4C/25F this morning and I rode to work. My coworkers kindly pointed out that some of the puddles were solid ice. The layer of frost on the edge of the bridge worried me a little too. But unless my tires aren't getting traction, my scoot will continue to see some action.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Blackbeard1718
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Blackbeard1718 »

dkazzed wrote:It was -4C/25F this morning and I rode to work. My coworkers kindly pointed out that some of the puddles were solid ice. The layer of frost on the edge of the bridge worried me a little too. But unless my tires aren't getting traction, my scoot will continue to see some action.

WOW!!! 25F??? That'd freeze my Image if I tried that!

You're a Braver Man than I! Image

I survived Iceland's Winter Months, and that's about as cold as I EVER want to get again!

Funny-Short-Story!

When I first came in the Navy, I was stationed overseas. Two of us young guys, had to make Breakouts for the Galley, from their Deep-Deep Freezers. We had to wear Parkas and Heavy Gloves in there, to get the boxes of Frozen Food. Both of us had Beards, and everytime we'd venture In/Out of the Freezer, into the Sun to load the truck, our Beards and Moustaches would Freeze/Sweat. About the fourth time we went in, my buddy's Moustache Froze White. I laughed, and touched his Moustache, and about an inch of it broke off. When we got outside, his lip where the piece broke off, looked like Freezer Burn. It DID grow back! Well..... it's Funny NOW! Image

NO MORE COLD FOR ME!!!

Cheers!

BB
Blackbeard

"The Floggings will continue, until Morale improves!"

Current Scoot: 2014 Honda Forza 300 ABS (Red October)

Former Scoots: TNG Verona 150, Kymco People S200, Kymco People S250, Suzuki Burgman 400, Honda Ruckus 50, Yamaha Zuma 125, Kymco People GTi300, Honda Big Ruckus PS250
oliver
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by oliver »

thanks for the advice... not sure I'm ready to do an oil change myself yet (haven't reached the 600 mile service yet)

The only thing I saw in the manual said to coat the chrome with rust inhibiting oil, place it on the center stand and position a block so both wheels are off the ground and either remove the battery and charge it or disconnect the negative terminal (if it's left in place)
mboni

Post by mboni »

My winterize process for Georgia consists of getting my insulated pants and warm gloves out of the closet. Really, there's not much else to do if you just take a 30+ minute ride on any weekend where the temp is over 40F. Those weekends happen often enough for us, it's not like we're going to store the bike for 6 months. It might sit idle for a whole month, but that's not a big hardship. The one step I might do beyond that is to connect a battery tender.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

mboni wrote:My winterize process for Georgia consists of getting my insulated pants and warm gloves out of the closet.
yeah not cold enough to kill a termite, I like bugs to DIE and skunks to hibernate, I need to take a break from lawn care and gardening, I want FOUR seasons and a white Christmas... BIG SNOW! I LOVE WINTER?

its not working is it... we all want to ride year round :cry:
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

oliver wrote: both wheels are off the ground
there's that both wheels up thing again, I don't want to lift the 40 dollar front tire but I might let some air out and pull the stem to fight condensation because I have balance beads and I don't want moisture inside the tires... ever!
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Get your tyres (tires) nitrogen filled. There's no moisture in it and the pressures remain more stable. It's a bit nerdy unless you've a race bike but some people like that sort of thing.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
oliver wrote: both wheels are off the ground
there's that both wheels up thing again, I don't want to lift the 40 dollar front tire but I might let some air out and pull the stem to fight condensation because I have balance beads and I don't want moisture inside the tires... ever!

How would moisture get in if the tyres are pressurised?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Alibally wrote:Get your tyres (tires) nitrogen filled. There's no moisture in it and the pressures remain more stable. It's a bit nerdy unless you've a race bike but some people like that sort of thing.

Isn't normal air mostly nitrogen in any case?
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

Air is 78 percent nitrogen, just under 21 percent oxygen, and the rest is water vapor, CO2 and small concentrations of noble gases such as neon and argon.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by Alibally »

Alibally wrote:Air is 78 percent nitrogen, just under 21 percent oxygen, and the rest is water vapor, CO2 and small concentrations of noble gases such as neon and argon.
There is a small percentage of fart gas also, but filling your tyres with this probably wouldn't help a lot.