Came off

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Came off

Post by uploader »

Came off the bike today, I was going round a bend heading towards a road junction I slowed down and gently hit the break next thing I knew me and the bike were skidding on its left side,
I cant understand how it happened only thing I can think of is that I used my back break and must have hit some oil the roads were wet but couldn't see any oil at all,
The bike came worse off then me, I hurt my knee finger and shoulder thank god for my armour jacket, The bike still runs fine but now I need 3 new panels for it. :cry:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Came off

Post by you you »

uploader wrote:Came off the bike today, I was going round a bend heading towards a road junction I slowed down and gently hit the break next thing I knew me and the bike were skidding on its left side,
I cant understand how it happened only thing I can think of is that I used my back break and must have hit some oil the roads were wet but couldn't see any oil at all,
The bike came worse off then me, I hurt my knee finger and shoulder thank god for my armour jacket, The bike still runs fine but now I need 3 new panels for it. :cry:

Ooof. Sorry about that mate

Passage of rights thing if it helps :|
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

Oh no! :( Glad you're okay though.
louthepoo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by louthepoo »

i dread that! i corner like miss daisy! glad youre ok and lucky nothing was coming round the other way! what speed were you doing?
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

Glad you're ok ;)
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

wasn't going fast at all, I had already taken my hand off the revs and was slowing the bike down to stop at the junction to give way but as soon has I hit the back brake the bike just went under still cant understand why, I didnt even enter the bend at any speed, I know I should have used the front brake and not the back but still cant see that making me slide,
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Braking in a bend in the rain?
No surprise you came off.
Remember that there is no back brake on a PCX, when you squeeze that left lever you get both brakes together with no control over the front/rear bias.
Also never use the front brake in a bend in the rain, you have even more chance of going down.
(I know about these things having had more crashes than I care to recall)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I've only come off 9 times if you include last weekend when I locked up the front wheel of a trail bike. All good experience and the scars make nice mementos! 2 more probably from the trail bike...
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

gn2 wrote:Braking in a bend in the rain?
No surprise you came off.
Remember that there is no back brake on a PCX, when you squeeze that left lever you get both brakes together with no control over the front/rear bias.
Also never use the front brake in a bend in the rain, you have even more chance of going down.
(I know about these things having had more crashes than I care to recall)
Thanks for the info, all I need now is some new fairing powerbyPCX seems to be out of stock and the seller on ebay only has a low feed back
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Sorry to hear of your off. I guess you must be a new rider as braking on a bend especially in the wet is a nono but i guess you have learnt the hard way. Just put it down to lack of experience. The middle body piece took 3 months for my dealer to get but obviously it is down to colour. Good luck finding parts
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

Not Good!
Glad you came off relatively lightly in terms of injury, bike cane be fixed easily, bodies...............................

Reasons you came off could be a variety of circumstances in the wet, try to avoid braking in a bend wet or dry. It's possible there was a patch of oil there, maybe a piece of Tarmac has gone 'shiny', as in the tar showing and no gravel on it. If road has been recently resurfaced, then some types of new tarmac are not good for bikers in the wet. Caution is the watch word when riding in the wet to be honest.
Linked brakes......................GN2.................................I have no issues with the linked brakes personally, if they work anything like my deauville bike, then applying the rear brake lever will only activate one piston on the front brake. You are right in that you don't have a say in the braking bias, but applying the rear brake lever the main bias is still towards the back wheel, which is the same as my Deauville.
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

The Tarmac was shiny and I was on a new road
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

All in all I think I'd prefer to not have the linked brakes. There are times when I'd be happier knowing that I was just applying the rear brake
louthepoo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by louthepoo »

qed wrote:All in all I think I'd prefer to not have the linked brakes. There are times when I'd be happier knowing that I was just applying the rear brake
Me too although mine has linked brakes too
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

So long as you ride sensibly the linked brakes aren't a problem.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

Hello, sorry my first post on here is answering in a thread when somebody came off, but my first question about the PCX would be related to it.

Some background info: I am coming from the big bikes, I had a Suzuki Bandit 600 and a BMW F800S so far but sold them (need cash for a house...). As the GF passed her CBT, I wanted to get a nice scooter for both of us, but I am a little confused about the comments on here - especially as the GF doesn't have much riding experience.

Of course I would never ever apply the brakes violently in a (wet) turn, however I can't count the many times I gave it a light, smooth and progressive squeeze in long corners such as one coming up to an A road junction close to home. I know its dangerous to say that to a novice rider, but as long as the tyre doesn't use all its grip cornering, you can use the remaining grip for braking provided you allow time for the weight to switch to the front and provided the surface got enough grip. To say in fact, I did some advanced rider training on a low grip surface doing exactly that: braking in corners!

However I can't understand why the so sudden loss of control other than through surface grip changing, unless the smaller wheels of the PCX do force a different braking behaviour from a 17 inch wheel of a motorbike. I am very worried about my GF just squeezing the brakes and given the PCX got no ABS loosing control. Do I need to brake differently with a scooter than on a motorcycle? Thanks, DJ
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Hi and welcome.
The laws of physics are the same for scooters as for motorbikes.
What you can't do with the PCX is use the rear brake separately from the front.
It looks to me that the OP doesn't understand how to ride in the wet.
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

gn2 wrote:.
It looks to me that the OP doesn't understand how to ride in the wet.
I don't understand how to ride in the dry never mind the wet LOL

welcome to the forum djcat
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

You'll get there ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:So long as you ride sensibly the linked brakes aren't a problem.
I didn't say there were a problem. Just I'd prefer not to have them.

Sometimes the surface is so slippery that I don't want any front brake at all.

And how can you do a decent skiddy? Ive tried it, it doesn't work.