Getting a bit more OOMPH from my 2013 PCX 150

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Joan & Jack
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Getting a bit more OOMPH from my 2013 PCX 150

Post by Joan & Jack »

I have a 2013 Honda PCX 150 with close to 6,000 miles. We are the original owners. I use the bike mostly for commuting eleven miles to and from work. Five of those miles is normally in the right-hand lane of Interstate 4 near Orlando. My bike runs like a champ up to 64 or 65 mph, then the engine starts to cut out at 65 mph and over. I throttle back to 63 / 64 and it purrs once more. I would like to achieve another five to eight mph out of this scooter. I am looking for recommendations of an individual or shop who can do, or can suggest improvement steps to give my bike a bit more oomph! Who can you recommend? I am 61 and weigh 175. I am not looking to pimp this bike, just boost the speed without sacrificing all the fuel efficiency.

Thank you, Jack
407-474-5787
2013 Honda PCX with Honda Top Case and Honda Windshield. Best documented gas mileage was 110 MPG
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Getting a bit more OOMPH from my 2013 PCX 150

Post by Jge64 »

you cant really get around the rev limiter, add a windshield will help, but you are gonna do a lot of work for 1 or 2mph.

If you want more oomph off the stoplight, change the rollers to dr pulley sliders = 13G. Huge diff off the line.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Joan & Jack
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Joan & Jack »

Thank you Glen. I do have the Honda windshield. I am looking for top end speed. Any idea how the guys in Europe are going 74/75 mph (120 kph)? I saw a few German videos where they are achieving those speeds. Would they have rev limiters on their PCX? Thank you!
2013 Honda PCX with Honda Top Case and Honda Windshield. Best documented gas mileage was 110 MPG
pcx man
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcx man »

I also have a 2013 PCX 150. I installed a NCY variator & face plate and the rev limiter now kicks in at 79mph. I also used stock Honda variator weights and belt. I tried other weight but for me stock is best. You need perfect conditions to get that fast, like tail wind and down hill. I can cruise at 72mph on the flat if there is not a big head wind most all the time. A up side for me making this change I increased my mpg by 10%. I most always get 104-108mpg.
Joan & Jack
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Joan & Jack »

Thank you for those insights! I take it that the muffler and air intake are the original equipment? In round numbers, what did these modification cost and where did you purchase the components? Joan wanted to know if you did the modification or you had a shop do the work?
Jack
pcx man
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcx man »

I did the work myself. All the rest of the bike is stock. Cost was less than $100. I got the parts online. I will have to dig up what site I got them from.
Joan & Jack
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Joan & Jack »

Thank you and Merry Christmas. No need to hunt for the website, I will track down the parts. Jack
pcx man
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcx man »

I found the site I got my variator and drive face from. It is http://www.corsportusa.com/scooter-parts/
The parts say they are for 2010 + Honda PCX 125 NCY drive face $29.00
2010 + Honda PCX 125 NCY Variator Set Special Gold $56.00
They work just fine on a PCX 150
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

MFR 2 variator from webike is the best bang for bucks. Awesome of the line,midrange and a decent top end speed increase...best to use with MFR outer face pulley as well (14 degree face)
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Pcxdemon wrote:MFR 2 variator from webike is the best bang for bucks. Awesome of the line,midrange and a decent top end speed increase...best to use with MFR outer face pulley as well (14 degree face)
Unfortunately webike does not list the MFR pulley for PCX at the moment. :-(
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Oyabun wrote:
Pcxdemon wrote:MFR 2 variator from webike is the best bang for bucks. Awesome of the line,midrange and a decent top end speed increase...best to use with MFR outer face pulley as well (14 degree face)
Unfortunately webike does not list the MFR pulley for PCX at the moment. :-(
http://japan.webike.net/products/21240540.html

Also josho1 hyper variator also has rave reviews but it's pricier..

http://japan.webike.net/products/20306062.html
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The quickest and most reliable way to get more speed is to trade it for a scooter with a bigger engine.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Pcxdemon wrote: Also josho1 hyper variator also has rave reviews but it's pricier..
http://japan.webike.net/products/20306062.html
Any idea which weight goes in which slot? I'd like to play with F=mw²r just to get an idea of the theory behind it.
m is weight, w is rpm
Joan & Jack
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Joan & Jack »

Thanks for the variator insights! I had a man call me this evening. Long time scooter buff / racer. He also suggested a taller rear tire (Michelin), though he wasn't sure of the specific size for the PCX. Any one have a feel for that suggestion? He rides a Honda Big Ruckus. He also said I may want to try three round wights and three sliders in the variator.
Thanks for the fine suggestions!
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

Pcx oem tire size is 100/90 r14. I'm running 120/80 r14 what fits without any issue. Some reported to use 140/70 R14 but that's quite a stretch on the stock rims and one has to fiddle a bit with rear suspension and mudguard too to get them installed.
Regarding using mixed sliders and rollers. It seems to be a very well researched and successful method on the BR (big ruckus) but did not worked out for some on the forza and pcx. I suggest to read the very detailed and long discussion on the topic here: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3441
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

I think the only reason to mix weights would be to get say 1/4 gram instead of 1 or 1/2 increments. I'm still trying to understand Joso other than a marketing thing?

As for mixing diameters i don't know but there used to be a shade-tree variator here that had a machined boss to allow for larger weights to sit lower.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Oyabun »

There's a lot more difference in the mixed weight rollers and sliders theory if you read through the earlier mentioned topic. The OP BREd had done quite extensive research. He calls the mixed setup the poor mans Jcosta as it is the closest to it's almost ideal characteristics.
Make sure that you pay attention to the diagrams posted too. His combinations seem to reach optimal power revs quicker than single setups and stay in power band longer before start locking out.
Speaking of which. The Jcosta variator is a very nice piece of kit. It is true innovation and works in completely different way than the traditional ones. Many claim it has the best acceleration (I can confirm it is very fast off the line, to an extent it gets a PCX125 very close to stock 150 in acceleration) - however they have a little lower top speed than some other vario - e.g. the mfr2 is reported to have longer gearing. Some users also had issues with reliability of the first generation of the Costa, but there's an upgraded version on the market which supposed to cure these reliability issues.
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Oyabun wrote: The Jcosta variator is a very nice piece of kit. It is true innovation and works in completely different way than the traditional ones. Many claim it has the best acceleration (I can confirm it is very fast off the line, to an extent it gets a PCX125 very close to stock 150 in acceleration) - however they have a little lower top speed than some other vario - e.g. the mfr2 is reported to have longer gearing. Some users also had issues with reliability of the first generation of the Costa, but there's an upgraded version on the market which supposed to cure these reliability issues.
Like Mitsubishi :D they are up to EVO3 now although some models are still EVO2 the difference being mainly coating. Top speed for a 125 V1 is about 122 indicated. 150 about the same. They are about the same diameter as +1mm so maybe the other like MFR2 are 120mm as is Advance. They are also getting cheaper but they are not $89 from Japan!

GN2 will be along soon in his Emperor's clothes ;)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

waspmike wrote:GN2 will be along soon
He's already popped in, did you miss him first time around...?

Here's what he said: "The quickest and most reliable way to get more speed is to trade it for a scooter with a bigger engine."
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Joan & Jack
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Joan & Jack »

Hard to trade a bike that gave me 110 Miles Per Gallon last week. May be an option in the future.