Mistakes whilst riding.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Mistakes whilst riding.

Post by EmilyJEG »

Do you ever make really stupid and potentially dangerous mistakes?

Earlier Josh and I rode to Harrogate to go to the Needlecraft and Quilting Show (he didn't want to go, but I insisted he come for the ride and there wasn't much else for him to do!). Afterwards we rode to Knaresborough, but on the way there was a double roundabout (it seemed to be in the middle of a housing estate). I saw a woman indicating left, and I thought she was turning off to go down the road I'd just come from. I hadn't realised at that point that there was another roundabout (it looked just like a normal road as nobody was really slowing down at the roundabout further ahead and it wasn't that easy to see from where I was), and in actual fact she was indicating to come onto the roundabout I was at and then she was going to the turn off after where I was. I think she was late in changing her signals, and I realised I'd messed up when I saw her right beside me. She didn't beep at me or scream out her window, which was a plus I guess. I shouldn't have gone - I know you have to assume people aren't indicating properly and wait until you know for certain where people are going, but I really feel under pressure when there are cars behind me because whenever I miss an opportunity to go they seem to start getting impatient and beeping.

When we got to Knaresborough, I managed to miss every car park and in the end we pulled into a small estate then decided to go home. Josh insisted we "turn left" for some reason, even though the satnav was saying right, so we went to York. Again, we didn't stop for long - we just pulled into a side road, and then decided to go home again! We went on the A64, but as we were merging with the traffic I realised that rather than moving out or slowing down, everyone was speeding up. I got to the end of the lane where you can merge, and we had to stop. There seemed to be a never ending stream of cars coming from the same road we'd come from, and they were all merging okay, and we ended up stuck. I finally saw a break in the traffic and told Josh to come quickly with me, but as I pulled out a car came right up the side of me. I don't know if I'd misjudged the speed, although I think they'd moved in from the other lane because I'm sure the car in the distance that I was trying to get in front of was green, not black.

It really upsets me when I make mistakes, although sometimes I think it's just people taking the piss a bit because they're in cars and they think they own the road. We pulled off at Tadcaster to fill up on the way back, and when it came to getting back on the A64, it was quite easy - the car in the lane nearby pulled over, and we got straight out. Whenever things like that happen, regardless of how good the rest of the ride has been, I feel like getting public transport for the rest of my life :(
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Mistakes whilst riding.

Post by Fiah »

I think the stupidest mistake you can make is thinking you don't make mistakes.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Mistakes are all part of riding. Each time you get away with one it should in effect make you a better rider. Dont beat yourself up over them. Nearly crashed new bike today. Went into a tight bend too quickly. Did not read the road right. Stupid and I should know better but no body is perfect.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I think biggest mistake was taking the BF to a craft show! Sometimes couples need to have some alone time ;)
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

This is all part of a very steep learning curve for you both. We are all human and we all make mistakes. learn from them and don't dwell on them either.

When merging onto a dual carriageway, what is/was your road positioning? Ideally you need to be at least in the middle section of the slip road or 3/4 of the way out from the left side, this should stop fllowing cars overtaking you on the slip road it self. Merging with traffic is always tricky if you are not used it.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

You're still posting on here so you must have been doing something right. ;)
Don't be pressured by other drivers, better to take your time and be safe.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

We all make mistakes, that is normal. Thats why we need to be aware of it and try to avoid them, the moment we think we are immortal we get stupid and dangerous. I think that the woman indicating wrongly would be a contributing factor in court case and that you would have good chances given you had a witness, but that doesn't make hospital food taste any better....

I say: Don't worry too much about people behind you on a roundabout, they NEED to keep distance and be able to stop at any time. IF they crash into you, the impact will be of much lower speed than the woman hitting you on the side. Plus: I don't think there is a more obvious place to be told you are right other than getting hit in the back whilst giving way to other moving traffic...

About the other car you missed, I can't really say too much other than you might want to better your observation skill. I can strongly recommend a Police Bike Safe day or an IAM advanced riding certificate - worst case you have a day of fun, best case you get more confident and safer. My 5 pence, ride safe!
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

Thanks for your replies, they've made me feel a bit better :) I did my CBT in mid-July so I'm still a learner at the moment. At least being a learner in a car means the instructor can stop you when you're about to do something wrong! I will keep practising and hopefully get a bit better. I will also keep in mind about being quite far out on a slip road so that the cars behind don't have such an easy time overtaking. We didn't really cover roads like that in the CBT which I think would have been useful (we did briefly go on A roads, but they were a completely different layout).
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

EmilyJEG wrote:Thanks for your replies, they've made me feel a bit better :) I did my CBT in mid-July so I'm still a learner at the moment. At least being a learner in a car means the instructor can stop you when you're about to do something wrong! I will keep practising and hopefully get a bit better. I will also keep in mind about being quite far out on a slip road so that the cars behind don't have such an easy time overtaking. We didn't really cover roads like that in the CBT which I think would have been useful (we did briefly go on A roads, but they were a completely different layout).
Another thing worth remembering if you are on main road or even two lane dual carriage way, don't sight yourself to far to the kerb/verge. You are entitled to use the road around you up to the central white line, for you as a learner try and use the centre part of the road. If you ride on nearest kerb/verge all the time it can be an open invitation for a numpty to try and do a risky overtake.
As Djcat said enquire about bikesafe, not sure if IAM will take on learner the other organisation to ask would be RoSPA. I did the IAM course and it was the best thing I ever did on my big bike.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Why not do a Bikesafe day. It is free and one on one 45 minute ride with a cop who will assess you and advise you how to improve. Check the website for dates. I am not being funny but it could save you from a nasty accident and you will fill much more confident with good free advice.
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

I've just had a look at the BikeSafe courses, but they're only available to people who've passed their test. I think I just need to make sure I concentrate on what I'm doing and ignore impatient drivers. I will also take care on slip roads - I think it just unlucky that it was so busy at that particular spot and it was the first slip road I've attempted (all the other A roads we'd been on had roundabouts). Generally, I don't think I'm too bad at riding, but I feel better for having shared my mistakes. A few dangerous moments I've had in the past, it turns out, were not my fault - for example a car going through a red light, and a car pulling out in front of me (and then beeping at me!) on a road that looks like a roundabout but actually has a give way point (the lane I was in continued straight on past the roundabout type thing). I'm going to make sure I plan my route carefully to avoid really busy roads, and try and stick to the "country" roads that aren't surrounded by loads of trees or too windy if I'm travelling to other towns or cities.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

i did a 6 hour roadskills refresher course and was worth it. One hour doing emergency stops gets you stopping quick! If I buy another bike or maybe after 2 years with the PCX I will repeat the course.
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

EmilyJEG wrote: A few dangerous moments I've had in the past, it turns out, were not my fault - for example a car going through a red light, and a car pulling out in front of me (and then beeping at me!) on a road that looks like a roundabout but actually has a give way point (the lane I was in continued straight on past the roundabout type thing).
Yes, and whilst driving or riding you always need to take care of others not crashing into you even if its not your fault. I know its a handful to care about yourself but most of the dangers come from others, even if they are wrong it is always better to get out of the way. The hazard perception test is a very good start to learn the observation skills necessary to identify situations that can get worse. E.g. I have a green, but the other road is a national speed limit zone. Will people be able to stop in time? More often than once it saved my bacon to glance into the side road instead of just trusting the green light.
EmilyJEG wrote: We went on the A64, but as we were merging with the traffic I realised that rather than moving out or slowing down, everyone was speeding up. I got to the end of the lane where you can merge, and we had to stop. There seemed to be a never ending stream of cars coming from the same road we'd come from, and they were all merging okay, and we ended up stuck. I finally saw a break in the traffic and told Josh to come quickly with me, but as I pulled out a car came right up the side of me. I don't know if I'd misjudged the speed, although I think they'd moved in from the other lane because I'm sure the car in the distance that I was trying to get in front of was green, not black.
Ok, re-reading and trying to understand it. Was it a slip road like the ones you have joining dual carriageways and motorways? If so: The literal translation for "slip road" in German language: "Acceleration lane" (Beschleunigungsspur). No, not trying to confuse you or to sound smart. I just think that this word is a very good hint for what this type of slip road actually is meant to be. It is meant to get you up to the speed of traffic whilst you are observing it in your mirrors. That should normally mean (on the PCX) full throttle, mirror, signal, shoulder check (aka life saver), maneuver. Getting up to the speed of traffic will allow you to merge safely by reducing the difference in speed between you and the stream of vehicles behind you. Merging from zero speed into the flow of cars may expose you to the traffic you are trying to merge into (remember that they have the preference). At the same time, whilst accelerating, be aware of traffic ahead of you, as they may just slow down and you don't want to hit them. Hence always keep a good distance between you and people ahead of you.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

djcat wrote:It is meant to get you up to the speed of traffic whilst you are observing it in your mirrors. That should normally mean (on the PCX) full throttle, mirror, signal, shoulder check (aka life saver), maneuver. Getting up to the speed of traffic will allow you to merge safely by reducing the difference in speed between you and the stream of vehicles behind you.
A PCX cannot go anywhere near as fast as typical UK dual carriageway traffic.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Emergency braking was be best fun on my course. But the tips and advise from the instructor were worth it - picked up several bad habits.

There are a few good books a vids out there on techniques. "Twist of the Wrist II" by Kieth Code vid with the great commentary by the gruff but brilliant Julian Ryder and is worth a look. Have a look on you tube - (no link as not sure on copyright tbh) or get it from Amazon. The 2 monkeys in it are muppets at times, it all seems to be about superbikes and is 94 minutes long - but skills here are good on anything with 2 wheels.
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

gn2 wrote:
djcat wrote:It is meant to get you up to the speed of traffic whilst you are observing it in your mirrors. That should normally mean (on the PCX) full throttle, mirror, signal, shoulder check (aka life saver), maneuver. Getting up to the speed of traffic will allow you to merge safely by reducing the difference in speed between you and the stream of vehicles behind you.
A PCX cannot go anywhere near as fast as typical UK dual carriageway traffic.
I'm not talking about motorway speeds, although I see traffic going at 50 or 60 mph on there regularly - which is PCX territory. In any case accelerating and merging with some speed into the flow of traffic is better than with no speed at all.

BTW about reading: I have this book, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Proficient-Moto ... 055&sr=8-1 .
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

UK dual carriageway speed limit is 70mph
Flat out a PCX struggles to keep ahead of lorries.
IMO the PCX isn't suited to dual carriageways in the hands of an inexperienced or timid rider.
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Here is a word of advice from an experienced rider:

1. Speed is your enemy. Everything is better when you go slower.
2. Stay away from cars. When they make mistakes, you pay the price.
3. Motorcycles don't have accidents, people do.

Enjoy the ride and always drive defensively.

Steve from New Jersey
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

Speed is not an enemy, speed is a fact. You can have too much of it or too little. You have to adapt to the circumstances, and if merging into traffic, you have to get up to the speed of it. I agree dual carriageways aren't suited to an inexperienced rider and certainly the more space you give yourself, the better. Still: How will the learner LEARN to join it, other than doing it? A learner needs to understand how to get up to the flow of traffic, it will be part of his life.

Some advice here: http://www.theorytestadvice.co.uk/learn ... geways.php
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

I'd just like to clarify that I'm not a horrendous rider. Those mistakes that other people made - I was aware of them because I was alert. The other day was the longest ride I had done, and the majority of it went well - there were just a couple of mistakes. I know exactly what happened at the roundabout, but on the A road it was different. Looking back, I think the car must have pulled across from the other lane because it didn't brake or anything, we just ended up alongside one another suddenly. The driver won't have been expecting me to be there though, but it's not like I could turn around and go the other way. The rest of the A roads I had been on were more like country roads, and they were fine - I wasn't expecting it to be so busy. I know A roads can be, of course, it just didn't really occur to me to check that stretch of road. I will learn from my mistakes though.

I will have a look through all of the links that have been posted. This week is going to be hectic (working in a nursery for about 11 hours a day instead of the usual 9) so I won't get chance yet, but I will catch up at the weekend! :)