Bike running at "2nd gear"?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

FRossi
Year: 2013

Bike running at "2nd gear"?

Post by FRossi »

Hello guys,
I own a PCX150 with 28k km, and by 20k km I've installed the Yuminashi 2015 kit with stock belt.

First my bike would go until 130km/h, but now 8k km later, it would not pass 110km/h. That's the first sign that something is not right, I guess it would be a worn belt, just 8kkm...

But the main problem started a few days ago.
When I stop at traffic signal, the bike goes off very lazy... If it had gears, the best way to describe would be starting at 2nd gear... And when its about to stop to idle, it vibrates a lot...

Anyone knows what it is?
I would guess that the variator is not going back to the most close-ratio gear position... But I have no idea why its happening.
Worn belt?
Worn rollers?
Dust?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Bike running at

Post by gn2 »

Open the casing take the variator out and have a look, you're more likely to find what the fault is by looking in there. ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
St.Clair
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black & Red

Post by St.Clair »

When you put it all back together did you use the right torque settings for the cvt etc, made sure the belt was seated properly before doing it all up. First port of call..sounds like it's slapping for some reason.
I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.
Nikola Tesla
FRossi

Re: Bike running at "2nd gear"?

Post by FRossi »

Rollers and belt completely destroyed today...
Seems that rollers were mounted somewhat wrong... I don't believe that they could be this shape by just 8k km!
Now I'm trying to imagine a way to remove the clutch for taking of all the "steel cables" of the belt without any special tool...
What about those chips on the variator face?
ImageImage
FRossi

Post by FRossi »

Polished the damaged rollers housing, removed the chips on the variator face, put everything together and now bike is running fine again!

It seems that the idle rpm is higher than normal, is it possible? Maybe I've made any mistake putting the part together and it get this impression by some unbalanced variator rotation?
[img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/09 ... c97c72.jpg[/img]
[img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/12/09 ... 6144c1.jpg[/img]
FRossi

Post by FRossi »

Hey, got another broken belt... Just 4k km after the last belt replacement. I'll take the Yuminashi kit out because its impossible to find a reinforced belt here... It will be sad to go back to original PCX after getting used to the CVT kit....
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Try the NCY variator and the 13 gm rollers. That should boost your speed up just enough to make you happy....probably in the range of 75 mph.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
FRossi

Post by FRossi »

Mel, its almost impossible to find aftermarket parts in south america... That's why I will take the kit out. I can't find a reinforced belt, neither the NCY vario and aftermaket rollers... This Yumi kit I brought from a trip to Thai...
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Sounds like he is running a V1 125 belt on a V2 150? So the belt is too short and gets stretched at high speed and....

Sent you a PM.
FRossi

Post by FRossi »

[img]http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016021 ... 6c0433.jpg[/img]
This are the rollers that came out from the bike.
I don't think that this wear is normal in a 4k km roller... One of the rollers has a huge cut in center.

After the belt replacement yesterday, I've noticed that my belt is a little wobbly. When I snap the throttle I can hear the belt hitting the aluminium case. I first thought that the bolt that hold the vario together could be loose, but I've double checked and it seems to be OK!
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

You are using some kind of wacky app that doesn't show pictures here? At least not for me.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

waspmike wrote:You are using some kind of wacky app that doesn't show pictures here? At least not for me.
I can see them. I'm using tapatalk on my iPad.
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

Ah I see what is going on. Tapatalk uploads the images to the viewing device. There is no website to view them on. So interestingly Tapatalk stores images but there is no viewing platform, that is the recipient's device. It is like receiving an email with embedded pictures. If I download the pictures now I can see what a mess Rossi's variator is.
FRossi

Post by FRossi »

And do you have any clue of why I'm breaking so many belts and cutting the rollers?
Any special way to mount the vario?
What I usually do:
1 take the vario off...
2 take the clutch off
3 insert the new belt in the clutch pulley, without opening the pulleys...
4 mount the clutch with the belt.
5 mount one face of the vario with the boss
6 insert the belt in the vario side
7 mount the other face of the vario
8 use a spacer and torque the vario and the clutch.

When I snap the throttle, the belt light snap the alu case... Is there any what to tight the belt? Maybe I'm not torquing enough the vario side?
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

^ You don't absolutely have to remove the clutch.

Before tightening the variator nut squeeze the upper and lower lengths of the belt together in the middle to force it down into the clutch. This takes any tension off the belt and prevents you from getting the belt squashed between the pulley halves when you torque the nut.

What is the spacer for? Did the bike originally have a spacer?
Did it come as part of the kit?
FRossi

Post by FRossi »

Dam... Now I don't remember if this spacer is original or not. It's a little thick washer that mounts between the nut and the variator...
Glad to know that the clutch doesn't have to be taken off. Seems impossible to put the belt in that little clearance of pulley and the aluminium case...
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I thought people add a washer to change performance - isn't it what is done to regulate or de-regulate 50cc bikes?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:I thought people add a washer to change performance - isn't it what is done to regulate or de-regulate 50cc bikes?

No
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

If a spacer is fitted between the boss and the outer front pulley it enables the belt to sit lower in the pulley so give a little better acceleration. There are different widths of shims but it's only 0.3 or 0.5mm approx so not much will do it. It's a bit of trial and error with aftermarket parts really. Somethings work great but it could be a complete disaster.
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

^ OK maybe language. In English that would be a washer. So just used for assembly and does not change the dimensions of anything.

I only know gaivote and chave inglese. :lol: I used to call the contractors foreman a gaivote as he would make a lot of noise, sh1t on everyone and then leave.
If a spacer is fitted between the boss and the outer front pulley it enables the belt to sit lower in the pulley so give a little better acceleration. There are different widths of shims but it's only 0.3 or 0.5mm approx so not much will do it. It's a bit of trial and error with aftermarket parts really. Somethings work great but it could be a complete disaster.
If the variator is properly designed no spacer is needed! This being said if the OEM unit has a spacer fitted some aftermarket variators include this spacer as it has to do with belt alignment. Always read the entire assembly instructions before installing, including the notes!