Felt like selling my PCX for a while but...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Felt like selling my PCX for a while but...

Post by Cascanciu »

... I'm OK now :lol: . I have already disregarded it.

I had been thinking in a bigger scooter lately. Burgman 400i or Sym Maxsym 400i. Those are motorway capable scoots with plenty underseat storage. Two full face helmets or your daily shopping fit in, no problem. Thing is, I'd have to get an A2 licence which isn't cheap (500€ after taxes, driving school included), insurance is more expensive, maintenance in more expensive, mpg are not as impressive as in the PCX. Despite that, I was still seriously considering it.

Today, the news have put me down to earth again. Petrol price in Spain is currently just a bit over 1'5 € per liter, and it is expected to increase and hit 1'6 soon. 2'5 liters of RON 95 every 100 kms means that I can run around town two weeks with 10€ of petrol. That's priceless.

So the PCX will stay. The windshield and the top box will be her only mods for the moment, but you just can't beat this scooter's efficiency. No way.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Felt like selling my PCX for a while but...

Post by gn2 »

Don't know about the Maxsym but the newer Burgman 400 can be very economical on fuel.
Servicing requirement is actually less than a PCX, the Burgman 400 valve clearance check interval is something like 14,000 miles so it could cost less to maintain than a PCX.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

gn2 wrote:Don't know about the Maxsym but the newer Burgman 400 can be very economical on fuel.
Servicing requirement is actually less than a PCX, the Burgman 400 valve clearance check interval is something like 14,000 miles so it could cost less to maintain than a PCX.
The Maxsym is as fuel efficient as the Burgman, according to the reviews I've read. It has a very modern engine feature some kind of ceramic coating in the cylinder, plus the usual 4 valve head and fuel injection. Despite this, they average 4'5-5 liters every 100 kms. That's almost double what the PCX requires. As far as handling is concerned, the Maxsym actually handles better than the Burgman, they say.

You're right that, regarding the valve adjustment thing, the Burgman is cheaper than the PCX, but tyres are more expensive, insurance is more expensive, spares will (most likely) be more expensive, and besides, I need an A2 licence. I'm sure I will move on to a bigger scooter in the future... but not right now ;) .
jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jasontheparamedic »

I would love to sell my PCX for a Burgman but the money and credit availability simply isn't there for me. For the PCX, I find that if you do a full valve adjustment every 5000 miles that will wipe out almost all of your fuel savings compared to a small 4 cyl car. This is assuming lots of highway (state road, rural, etc) travel where you have to throttle aggressively. So in the very long run, the Burgman isn't such a bad deal. One day I guess...
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Even though I just picked up a Silverwing, I'm keeping the PCX. It makes way more sense to commute on the PCX than the Silverwing, since the PCX can do EVERYTHING but the highway extremely well. The gas savings are a plus too. ;)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

As for the dreaded valve adjustment thing, I personally will request my dealer to do it at the 5000 kms oil service (first one was at 1000 kms). Then I will follow the how-to and will do them myself. My guess is that doing it every 5000-6000 kms should be enough since I use her basically to commute inside the city.
rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rainburg »

We have thought off and on about selling our Burgman, so we're on the opposite side. It has been a nice scooter and we don't have any complaints but we don't need such a big scoot for the type of riding we do. If we needed to take the freeway or ride two up, the Burgman would win hands down. But, we don't take the freeway on our scooters and we're not interested in riding two up so the PCX is the scooter of choice at our house. The only reason we haven't done anything yet is that the Burgman is paid for and thus far has been easy to maintain ourselves. If we get tired of a crowded garage or decide we want another motorcycle or scooter however, the Burg will be the one to go.
2011 Honda PCX, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2 Honda Civics, 5 bicycles and 1 more on order