Side white lights next to headlight - ?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Skiter

Side white lights next to headlight - ?

Post by Skiter »

Hello everyone! New and proud of 2013 PCX150 here. Just picked this baby up from the dealer last week with THREE miles on the odometer. Nice!
Question: there are lights on boths sides of the headlight. I was told at the dealer these are non-functional becasue they are used overseas but not in US. Is there a way to mod them - I mean possibly getting inside and putting some LED lights, various colors, or maybe jsut regular bulbs? Has anyone tried this yet? If you didn't I'll be the first one....I'm itching to get in there and check it out for accessibility/possibility of putting some lights there.
Thanks for answers!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Side white lights next to headlight - ?

Post by gn2 »

AFAIK you need to replace the entire headlight assembly because there are no light fittings in the US version.
Unless you can cut out the plastic and attach light fittings somehow...?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Unfortunately, there's not even a blank that you can take out to install a light fixture. You'd have to drill out the back, vacuum out the mess, install the lights, then wire them. I do wish our lights were integrated like the non-US models, it looks much cooler than the "stalks."

I've seen it done before, but with no how-to. The guy who runs/owns the other PCX forum (taikahn/pcx/xtra medium/who knows who else are all the same person) posted that they did this to theirs, but with no write-up: http://www.clubpcx.com/forum/viewtopic. ... 100#p11539. You might be able to ask them how they did it, but judging by the amount of spam there right now, they might be slow to reply. ;) You should also note that, even though they removed their stalks, the holes where the stalks went are just sitting there... Open and uncovered... You'd have to replace the front inner fairing to get rid of the holes.

A few people (I think Kapang!, not sure who else) have replaced their headlight assemblies with the non-US version, since the fittings are already in place. It would probably cost at least $200-$300 though, which is way more than just doing it yourself.

If you end up doing it well, you should post a how-to when you're done. :D

Oh, and congrats on your new PCX / welcome to the forums!
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

I, too, have the US version with the "stalk lights." I'd like to utilize the 4 available lenses to add LED lights and just have the signals on the stalks.

LED lights seem cheap enough, but I have no idea what to buy. I asked my Honda dealer if they could do it for me and they said it should be easy to drill a small hole through the reflector, install the LED and seal it up so no moisture runs into the back of the headlight fixture. I'd like to do it myself. Can someone provide very specific instructions with pictures?

Can anyone suggest what to buy? Maybe one of these, but which one for the top, and which one for the bottom?

http://www.theledlight.com/led-clusters.html

Then is it just a matter of tying them into the headlight circuit? (I'm bad with electricity) o_O

Thanks! Steve
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

You wouldn't be tying them into the headlight circuit, you'd wire them in place of the existing blinkers. In addition, you'd have to add a resistor for the blinker to blink (otherwise it will just turn on).
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
SteveG

Post by SteveG »

Maddie,

I want to leave the signal lights on the stalks, but light up the other four fixtures as running lights.

There are 4 and 6 light LED light pods available that have a flat back you mount with double sided tape: http://www.customdynamics.com/courtesy_lights.htm

1. In this case, I would connect them to the headlight circuit, correct?
2. Any idea if a 4 LED group is bright enough? Would help light the road or just give a glow?
3. Any opinion on whether the 4 LED pods should go on top and the 6 LED into the bottom fixtures or the opposite (or make them all the same?)
4. I’m thinking if I can get in behind the headlight lens, I can drill a small hole for the wire in the back of each reflector, tape the light in place, maybe put caulk over the hole (if it can stand the heat - if any) and wire it into the headlight circuit. Does this sound reasonable or is there a better way?
5. Any advice on how to remove the headlight lens and get to the four reflectors?
6. Does anyone know the dimensions of the back of the reflectors – specifically the flat surface in the back? My goal would be to buy flat LED pods that can fit flush against that back surface.

I think this would be an easy mod that many U.S riders would adopt. Unfortunately our scooters come with 4 dead light fixtures just begging to be utilized!!!

Steve in NJ
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Adding leds won't light the road much but they will look cool and let other drivers see you better.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Oh, I completely misunderstood you. I thought you wanted to turn the blank areas into blinkers.

To make it easier to respond, I'm going to answer below in the numeric form you asked...

SteveG wrote:1. In this case, I would connect them to the headlight circuit, correct?
That's all a matter of preference. That would certainly work, but the current on that circuit is high, so it might be better to put them elsewhere. For your convenience, I uploaded a full wiring diagram for the PCX so that you could see all the different +12v circuits you could tap into. Newpl tapped into the license plate light, which would probably be your best bet.

SteveG wrote:2. Any idea if a 4 LED group is bright enough? Would help light the road or just give a glow?
It'd certainly add visibility, but I doubt it'd light the road. It'd probably look like the 3rd pic in this post that Wooley made.

SteveG wrote:3. Any opinion on whether the 4 LED pods should go on top and the 6 LED into the bottom fixtures or the opposite (or make them all the same?)
That's all your preference. ;)

SteveG wrote:4. I’m thinking if I can get in behind the headlight lens, I can drill a small hole for the wire in the back of each reflector, tape the light in place, maybe put caulk over the hole (if it can stand the heat - if any) and wire it into the headlight circuit. Does this sound reasonable or is there a better way?
You'll want to disassemble the front end and remove the headlight assembly. That'd be the ONLY way to do this -- there is no way there's enough room back there to get the drill in.

The back reflector plate is one solid piece, there's no blanks to cut out. You will have to drill a hole the size of whatever light fixtures you get, install them with glue or caulk, then wire them up and reassemble. The only source of heat is the headlights -- the LEDs won't make much heat, so some good-quality outdoor grade silicone will work fine.

SteveG wrote:5. Any advice on how to remove the headlight lens and get to the four reflectors?
You'll have to remove the whole headlight assembly. That's a lot easier said than done... You would start the same way you'd go to adjust the combi brake, but you'd have to continue on, possibly stripping the front end completely to get the headlight assembly out. I haven't removed mine, so unfortunately, I don't have much more to go on here. If you really want me to, I can dig out my service manual and see if I can look up how Honda says to remove it.

SteveG wrote:6. Does anyone know the dimensions of the back of the reflectors – specifically the flat surface in the back? My goal would be to buy flat LED pods that can fit flush against that back surface.
Hmm, not sure. Probably about 1" in diameter. LED pods / pucks would be perfect for this purpose though.

SteveG wrote:I think this would be an easy mod that many U.S riders would adopt. Unfortunately our scooters come with 4 dead light fixtures just begging to be utilized!!!
I wish it were easy! :lol:
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

I think adding a bulb to the side lights is very possible...
Just drill out the old "P9517(US)" and attach a "1156" bulb or similar small bulb and fixture.
Of course attaching the fixture will be the hard part, but a small bracket to hold the fixture should work...
Attachments
IMAG0325.jpg
IMAG0325.jpg (445.27 KiB) Viewed 1686 times
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

I did something very similar to this on my Ruckus.
Just hollowed out the stock bulb headlight fixture and added a 1156 fixture with a led bulb.
Worked great as a spare headlight, with very little draw from the electrical system(thats why I did it).
Pretty darn bright too. 8) Here it is next to the stock Ruckus highbeam.
Possible "how to" coming up... :lol:
Attachments
IMAG0320.jpg
IMAG0320.jpg (453.39 KiB) Viewed 1686 times