Mistakes whilst riding.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: Mistakes whilst riding.

Post by maddiedog »

I don't think anyone thought you were a horrible rider, I think this thread just conveniently turned into a "How to ride better" thread, which is always a good thing. Even though I've ridden tons of miles on many bikes, I'll probably still go through the links in here later too. There's always room to improve, especially with safety and situational awareness when riding.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

I can see where djcat is coming from, like me he has done the IAM skills for life course on a bigger bike. At the end of the day all we are trying to do is give an inexperienced rider helpful advice to better them selves.
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

Don't worry, I'm not throwing a little strop :) I just want to make sure that people don't think I'm a danger on the roads or something, I've slipped up on a couple of things but I'm the type of person who worries about my mistakes for quite a while - I'm a perfectionist who likes to get things right all the time! I know people mean well and I'm taking on all the advice :)
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

EmilyJEG wrote: I'm a perfectionist who likes to get things right all the time!
Thats the first step towards a long, fun and safe riding career. Not even my IAM observers get it 100% right 100% at the time, but they get close by constant dedication and betterment. I am probably at 50% of what a British Police biker is by now and very grateful for the IAM's advice.

I had to pass 5 driving tests in 4 countries (family and work related), hence I can say by experience no matter how much you learn the theory, its your attitude that matters first and having the guts to ask how you can improve yourself gets a lot of respect (from my part at least).

Enjoy the ride!
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

I'm sure everyone makes mistakes, I know I do. As you are doing, we should all aim to be perfectionists not just for safety but also for the pleasure of doing something well. That sounds a bit preachy or trite but you get what I mean. The more miles travelled the more experience gained.

As far as Police standard riding goes try this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorcycle-Road ... 602&sr=1-1 This is UK specific, but would be of use to any rider from any country.

The above book states that those who ride more miles than average are more likely to be involved in an accident ( :( that's me) but you only get experience with miles on the clock.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

[quote="edscoot"The above book states that those who ride more miles than average are more likely to be involved in an accident[/quote]

Does it say whether that is more likely per mile travelled or more likely per unit of time?
The problem with statistics is you can make them say what you want.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

The section says:

"Your likelihood of having an accident

Average car drivers cover about 10000 miles a year and have a one in seven chance of an accident during that time. Compared with drivers, the risk for motorcyclists is much greater. They are:
more than 35 times more likely to be involved in an accident which results in injury.
20 times more likely to be injured themselves.

Riders who have a greater than average risk of having an accident are:
those travelling more miles than average per year
younger riders, especially men
inexperienced riders"

the book then goes on to try and direct to towards a better mindset whilst riding and following certain guidance for observation etc.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I'd be curious to see a statistical breakdown of motorcycle accident by age, displacement, and prior experience (whether or not they've ridden on dirt before, tickets for speeding, previous accidents, etc). I'd guess a significant majority of accidents reported are squids around my age being stupid on sportbikes, or older people on high-CC beasts messing up when they're riding for fun in the mountains.

I'd be even more curious about scooter vs motorcycle accident statistics. Ironically, I'd guess motorcycles would be classified as less risky than scooters due to all the scooter rentals and how lax people are about safety. I hate going to Florida, because I see so many people barefoot, with no shirt or helmet, riding a rental. You have to wonder how much idiots like that DEMOLISH the statistics.

A fair analogy is marriage statistics. I have a coworker that went through three nasty divorces, and leading up to my wedding, he kept telling me how much of a mistake I'm making, citing that 50% of marriages end in divorce, that I'll be miserable, etc. Needless to say, for each asshole like him that contributes to that statistic 3 times, there are 3 couples out there that have good marriages with no divorce. The base 50% statistic doesn't count people divorcing more than once, or consider age or socioeconomics -- just like the motorcycle accident statistic probably doesn't fairly account careless people who repeatedly crash, young idiots with no gear, or the risk on different types of motorcycle.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Like I thought, it doesn't give the real facts, just the usual anti-bike scaremongering.
The reality is that riding a motorcycle or scooter carries additional risk of injury over a car simply because if a collision occurs you are more likely to be injured.
Whether you are involved in a collision or not can be massively influenced (but not eliminated) by what goes on between your ears.
So stay alert and ride safe.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

The instructor on the course I did said there was a disturbing trend of more accidents amongst the 40 yo and older folk getting back into biking after a break and going and buying an often new 900cc or more sports bike. These folk often dont commute but ride once a fortnight when the weather is good and expect ABS and other modern technologies such as body armour to keep them out of trouble. Of course this is a generalisation, but the course was to try and get these folk to ride defensively and practice the basics. By the way I was the only scooter on the course and yes, every other bike was new and 900cc or more!
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

I got a general problem with those statistics, too. It assumes that we are just part of a lottery and that inevitably we will have an accident, on average, every four years (geez, I'm overdue). That "sod's law" effectively is only 25% of your odds, though, everything else is manageable. These facts don't come out of my head but out of a bike magazine article I read a few years ago based on research (must still have it, will take it out if I find time today after I picked up my PCX).
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Taz wrote:The instructor on the course I did said there was a disturbing trend of more accidents amongst the 40 yo and older folk getting back into biking after a break and going and buying an often new 900cc or more sports bike. These folk often dont commute but ride once a fortnight when the weather is good and expect ABS and other modern technologies such as body armour to keep them out of trouble. Of course this is a generalisation, but the course was to try and get these folk to ride defensively and practice the basics. By the way I was the only scooter on the course and yes, every other bike was new and 900cc or more!

Instructors are generally 80% good advice 20% anecdotal bullshit
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

SteveG wrote:Here is a word of advice from an experienced rider:

1. Speed is your enemy. Everything is better when you go slower.
2. Stay away from cars. When they make mistakes, you pay the price.
3. Motorcycles don't have accidents, people do.

Enjoy the ride and always drive defensively.

Steve from New Jersey

What funsucking self righteous tosh
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Too true, getting injured in a bike crash is about the best fun anyone can have.
Ride like a lunatic, you know it makes sense.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Perhaps there's a middle ground between your two opinions?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I don't have two opinions on this subject, just the one which is that people who wish to remain uninjured should do what they can to learn how to ride safely and that this need not remove the fun from riding.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:I don't have two opinions on this subject, just the one which is that people who wish to remain uninjured should do what they can to learn how to ride safely and that this need not remove the fun from riding.

The other opinion would be SteveGs. There are other people apart from you
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

"Your two opinions" isn't "the opinions which each of you two have". :geek:
EmilyJEG
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EmilyJEG »

I think it depends how you read it. I'd have probably worded it the same! Perhaps it's a regional thing.

Still haven't had chance to look through all of the links - and I start uni tomorrow so need an early night :( Will definitely be reading them all before I get on my scooter again though! Will also see about purchasing some of the books that have been recommended :) Thanks again everyone!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The phrase "your two opinions" can only be correctly interpreted as two opinions held by one person.
It could have been written "you twos' opinions" but that doesn't read or sound right, so a better way of writing it would have been "you pairs' opinions".