Shopping for my first Scooter

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Shopping for my first Scooter

Post by Taz »

There is a time limit for the edit feature to work. I think its for 10 minutes after you last save the post.
heythorp

Post by heythorp »

Jason:
Definitely looking at a used scoot. It makes sense to make sure the wife wants this life style. She did come home from work and the gym today saying. OK i really want a scooter, all day at work I think about where I could be scooting to places. LOL she is hooked and never ridden one.

whitenoise, thanks hopefully that is all it is. Almost to 15. Ok not really, but going to fudge my way there. Sorry to anyone's thread i bump ;)
My other Ride:
It was annoying me, it must have been annoying others.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Heythorp - just add new posts. Posts can be edited for typos for 10 minutes, then are locked in FOREVER! :D

It's to prevent bait and switch, there were some issues with that on the ClubPCX forum, which is much of why I left and made this forum. Claims were made or people were cussed out (both admins and members), angry arguments erupted, then people would edit their posts to remove the claims or cussing, or to change the context to make them seem like they were in the right. If you want more clarification, you can PM me for the full story -- I don't want to end up dumping this thread in the Drama and Bullcrap subforum.

Also, don't feel back about bumping posts up, even if they're months old. If you have something to add to a conversation, by all means add to the conversation! We're all here to learn, that's what forums are for. ;)

Back on topic, it sounds like your wife is hooked -- which is the #1 hurdle for getting a new bike (at least it is for me :P ). You should try sitting 2-up on the Zuma and PCX to see which is more comfortable like that. Both me and my wife are average size (around 160lbs each), but the Zuma's way more cramped to 2-up ride on than the PCX. The PCX is really big for a 150/125.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
heythorp

Post by heythorp »

This place has a good vibe. Members seem almost too nice. I don't know if its the scooter comunity or the good guys followed you here, but nice place to get help.

We sat two up on the PCX 150 the other day. Definitely big enough for around town. I agree the Zuma might not cut it in that department, but that is why we will end up with 2 scooters.
My other Ride:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

You might also want to look at Piaggio, they have financing deals available in the US right now...
http://www.piaggiousa.com/scooters.html ... yphoon-125
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
heythorp

Post by heythorp »

Thanks gn2.
Not a bad option in the 125 class.

In the 150 though the PCX is just the 'one' right now. At least as far as I am concerned for performance, gas mileage, features, looks etc...
My other Ride:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

If your wife has never ridden before, maybe a better move to get a used scooter to start with?
Just a shame you don't get the Honda Vision 110 over there, it's pretty much the perfect first scooter for a beginner.
It's £1800 compared to the PCX at £2550
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Honda has "nailed" the coolest styling ever with the PCX.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Millions of Vespa owners would probably disagree.
There is nothing on two wheels that is as cool as a Vespa.

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Gn2, your image didn't work.

Vespas are sweet, but so are PCXes. I love both for completely different reasons. If I hadn't gotten the PCX, I probably would have ended up with a Vespa S150IE.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

That's a shame it was a beautiful image, I'll try again..
Attachments
Vespas are cool
Vespas are cool
vespa.jpg (200.91 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
heythorp

Post by heythorp »

gn2 wrote:That's a shame it was a beautiful image, I'll try again..
I thought you were going to post a pic of a scooter. I don't see one. :D
My other Ride:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I see she's got a learner's L-plate on there.
Volunteers for giving her some lessons please form an orderly queue :lol:
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

gn2 wrote:Millions of Vespa owners would probably disagree.
There is nothing on two wheels that is as cool as a Vespa.
Now relegated to "classic". There is a new look of cool.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The PCX is definitely a good looking modern scooter but as a style icon it will never be in the same league as a Vespa.
heythorp

Post by heythorp »

I actually don't like the look of the 'typical' scooter. If modern scooters did not come to fruition, not sure I would be here.

I love classic cars, scoots? not so much.

looks like a brick on wheels to me.

So glad people perceive things differently, otherwise this would be a really boring world without differentiation.
My other Ride:
Tristik
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tristik »

~~
I don't like the classic look either. That's why I ended up with a modern style (Blur). The only bike even remotely close to the classic look I was contemplating was the Piaggio Fly 150.

I wouldn't discount a used Honda Reflex either if you can find one in the area to look at. They're probably a bit bigger than what you are looking for (a somewhat bulky, 250cc scooter), but you can find used ones with low miles for great bargains. There's one for sale at my local dealer for $2200 with about 5,000 miles on it. Sure, it's a 2002, but the thing looks like it's brand new. Good for 2-up, good storage, looks like a stylish cruiser bike. I know Maddie had a bad experience with one, but everything else I've read say they are rock solid. My mom's 2004 hasn't had a single problem in the 2 years she's had it so far.
~~
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I can't see any Vespa :D
heythorp

Post by heythorp »

So what is a PCX 125 worth now? i know location matters, but as already stated it looks like people haven't come to realization that the 150 is here.

I have no idea about the scoot market, but driver a car off the lot and kiss 20% good bye.

What you you pay for these ?

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/3237573335.html

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/mcy/3200174271.html
My other Ride:
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

I talked to a guy trying to sell his PCX125 with 700 miles on it for $2900. There is a brand new left over 125 my dealer is stuck with for $3100 with 0 down financing.