fix brake light

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

dog64bull
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

fix brake light

Post by dog64bull »

Guys... how do I fix my brake light? It went out. I've looked everywhere on how to do it but i couldnt find anything. I almost got a ticket lol Please help me out asap.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: fix brake light

Post by iceman »

Search this forum and google for circuit diagrams - best check and trace things from there. As a start I found this:
http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=19& ... it=circuit (scroll down)
waspmike kindly provided this: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=19& ... ram#p76545
and new LED version (not yours if '13) https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201512 ... e778fd.jpg
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

It is fairly simple to change the tail light bulb, though you will have to remove the plastic on top of the passenger grab bar to get to it. Open the seat. Remove the 2 screws toward the center of the plastic cover. The plastic cover for the grab bar has a bunch of tabs as well that hold it on, as well as those two screws. Be careful not to break the tabs. Use a plastic trim removal tool. Start at the front of each side. Pry each side up till it pops loose. Now push the grab rail cover to the outside and release the grooves from the bosses. Carefully pull up the rear side of the cover and release the snap off clip. Remove the cover. From there you should be able to reach inside the tail light area, turn the light socket counter clockwise and pull the entire unit out. From there it should be just like replacing and tail light bulb. I don't remember the bulb number, but I do know that and 1157 works. The normal one is a little lower in wattage or something. I remember when I tried to replace it with an LED version and it didn't work because it required so much less wattage. If you are not confident enough to take it off by yourself, I would suggest going to the service department of your dealer. They can change the bulb within 10 minutes.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dog64bull
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by dog64bull »

Mel46 wrote:It is fairly simple to change the tail light bulb, though you will have to remove the plastic on top of the passenger grab bar to get to it. Open the seat. Remove the 2 screws toward the center of the plastic cover. The plastic cover for the grab bar has a bunch of tabs as well that hold it on, as well as those two screws. Be careful not to break the tabs. Use a plastic trim removal tool. Start at the front of each side. Pry each side up till it pops loose. Now push the grab rail cover to the outside and release the grooves from the bosses. Carefully pull up the rear side of the cover and release the snap off clip. Remove the cover. From there you should be able to reach inside the tail light area, turn the light socket counter clockwise and pull the entire unit out. From there it should be just like replacing and tail light bulb. I don't remember the bulb number, but I do know that and 1157 works. The normal one is a little lower in wattage or something. I remember when I tried to replace it with an LED version and it didn't work because it required so much less wattage. If you are not confident enough to take it off by yourself, I would suggest going to the service department of your dealer. They can change the bulb within 10 minutes.
Thanks man. Do I need additional things if I want to use an LED bulb or can I just buy an LED bulb and screw it in?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When I had changed the bulb for the LED version it didn't have enough resistance I think, so it stayed on, but then I have other LED lights attached to the same circuit and those were affected as well. I think that they might have something to make it wrk correctly at light websites such as Custom Dynamics. If you have no other add-ons, the standard LED bulb may work. I do know that I tried the LED bulb on my truck and it stayed on high, so I am sure that you have to have something else in order for it to work correctly.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

From a link provided in the post above - http://www.motorcycle.in.th/filemgmt/index.php/286
Wiring diagram for bulb version of PCX (although there will be differences around the world)