How-To: Install a GPS Tracker

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

eshroom
Year: 2014
Color: Blue

How-To: Install a GPS Tracker

Post by eshroom »

My last bike got stolen never to be seen again, so this time I installed a tracker.

I bought a TK-104 GPS Tracker off eBay for £33.99. It includes a lot of features but the main ones I was interested in are:

- Shock alarm
- Geo-fence (alert if bike moves outside specified area)
- Continuous tracking (5 second intervals)
- iOS and Android App, as well as web interface
- Subscription only £2.79 a year, or free if you don't use online tracking (it has SMS and phone functionality instead)
- 60 days standby
- Engine cut-off

I mainly used Maddidog's 12v charge installation guide as a reference, but only removed the front windshield, grill and meter panel.

Step 1: Remove grills, windshield and meter panel - no need to repeat, instructions on Maddidog's guide linked above.
Next, we need to disassemble some of the front end... Start by removing the fairing below the windshield by removing the two screws up in there:

And pry off the top area gently:

Unbolt the windshield:
http://s22.postimg.org/cmq471gdt/Ltyh_W.jpg
Step 2: Connect up engine cut-off. This is quite fiddly, you need to find the Brown/Yellow cable going into the ECU (below the ignition, down and to your left as you look inside the bike), this is the fuel pump, wire it up to the 12v relay included with your GPS tracker as per wiring diagram (may differ for different trackers, but for the TK104 the Red cable goes towards the ECU side and the Yellow cable goes towards the fuel pump). For reference, the full wiring diagram is on this post.

Step 3: Wire up charging, I wired it to the lights so it would only charge while riding as per newpl's instructions here:
Success!!!!!!! Plus is was easy and with minimal panels removed. Only remove 3 items!

So I wired it into the lighting system and it works perfectly. Power when the ignition is on.... and off when the engine is off. It's pulling around 5A with all the lights and engine on. With my phone, it's only 5.2A peak...plenty of cushion for the 10A fuse.

In case others want to do it, I tried to take pictures but since I did it in my garage at 10pm, the lighting is not good. Sorry for the bad picture. Basically, I used the connectors that maddiedog has in the post above and spliced into the Green(-) and Brown(+) wires.

1. Remove the front grill under the windshield from maddiedog's instructions
2. Remove the windshield from maddiedogs instructions
3. Pry the front meter panel (black plastic panel under the windshield. There no screws or bolts. Just the 4 holes that the plastic goes over)
Attachment:

Let's start with the easy wire... the Green. The same green wire goes to turn signals, horn, brake, license lights. I chose to use the left turn signal as it's easy to get to as it's right there.

The brown wire is much less common as it's only at the license light, fuse box, and into the dash. Luckily the dash is right in front of you. Pull the rubber casing down.

The brown cable is on the left bank of wires next to light green/black wire, the other side is 3 empty slots and the end is a white/blue
Step 4: Cable tie the slack and cable tie tracker to the frame

Step 5: Re-assemble!

The tracker comes with optional external antennas that are self adhesive. I stuck them to the inside of the windshield during reassembly.

Make sure to test connections along the way. If you trigger the engine cut-off it won't do much at idle as the PCX is so good on fuel, but once you've ridden 100 metres it will cut out if the tracker does it's job.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Re: How-To: Install a GPS Tracker

Post by honkerman »

Ooh, spiffy! Thanks for the descriptive walkthrough!
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

cool... or just have good insurance and wait for a new one 8)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I don't have enough room in there now to add anything. The new airhorn is stuffed in there...and I mean STUFFED. Now I have a problem keeping the windshield trim piece from popping loose when I am riding. I may have to take things apart again to see what I can do, but adding anything, such as the GPS tracker, there would still not be possible.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
eshroom
Year: 2014
Color: Blue

Post by eshroom »

homie wrote:cool... or just have good insurance and wait for a new one 8)
True, but I drive a pretty expensive car and have 7 years no claims discount. I don't know how it works in the US, but in the UK if I claim for a stolen scooter, my car insurance will shoot up by probably about the value of the scooter alone (which is 2 years old with high mileage), then my scooter insurance will also shoot up. So there's really no point claiming.

If I didn't also drive a nice car then your logic would apply to me.

If it wasn't clear in the guide for anyone that hasn't removed their front end before, the thing circled in red is the tracker. Sounds like if you also opt for an air-horn there won;t be any space. :D

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The good thing about this GPS tracker is that it has long wires. If you pull off the front cover there is all sorts of space there to attach a GPS tracker. I thought about putting the air horn there but I didn't see a way of making sure it didn't shift while riding because of its weight. The GPS tracker doesn't have that problem.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
hhaarrison
Year: 2019
Color: orange

Post by hhaarrison »

I understand that my bicycle has been stolen. I hate the thief.
So I also installed a small GPS tracker on my new bike and placed it under the seat. I will never worry about the bike being stolen again. Hateful thief
https://www.gearhunder.com/best-smallest-gps-tracker/
that is where I get a smallest GPS tracker