Compression test 90PSI???

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Compression test 90PSI???

Post by dem0nk1d »

Guys,

Just did a compression test on my motor since it doesn't seem to have the power it once had. I did a compression test and hit 90psi on the gauge. I'm thinking it maybe time for a rebuild and go big bore. Question is the starter doesn't continue to crank over and over. So i'm wondering if i should hit it with 12v's directly and get another reading. What do you guys think?
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Compression test 90PSI???

Post by dem0nk1d »

also note i tested on a cold engine.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

dem0nk1d wrote:Guys,

Just did a compression test on my motor since it doesn't seem to have the power it once had. I did a compression test and hit 90psi on the gauge. I'm thinking it maybe time for a rebuild and go big bore. Question is the starter doesn't continue to crank over and over. So i'm wondering if i should hit it with 12v's directly and get another reading. What do you guys think?
I'll let you know the compression rating when I get home and can check my manual. Tbh, I think there is a compression release on the exhaust cam to aid in starting, in which case a compression of 90psi might be correct. I'll know better when I look at the manual
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

YAY!!! dem0nk1d sighting :o
"PCX doesn't seem to have the power it used to"
could be donuts ya know, check the dunlap over the belt
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

homie wrote:YAY!!! dem0nk1d sighting :o
"PCX doesn't seem to have the power it used to"
could be donuts ya know, check the dunlap over the belt

Homie,
hahhaa yes im still around just lurking in the shadows. the manual states something about create a certain amount of compression at a certain RPM. But i couldn't find a static number in the manual for testing cold. I also figured out i could manually crank the engine over with the 22mm or is it 23mm socket directly on the variator side of the crank. Thus not using any juice from the battery. =P

honkerman,
let me know what numbers you get with the motor cold. I would like to know what my options are.

I also may have found an alternative option for a aftermarket 1.6 BAR Radiator Cap that was purchased locally at the yamaha dealership. I'll post an update when i get home.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

I'll let you know if i find anything in the service manual...of course, it may be a moot point. I just recalled seeing somewhere that you have a cam kit and bore kit on yours. The info in the service manual won't apply if that's the case.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

Ok, the service manual on page 10-3 should be 159.3 at 850 rpm.

As for the process, it's a normal compression test process. Warm the engine, unplug the spark plug, attach the tester and crank it 'til the guage stops. Make sure you've got the throttle wide open when you do the test.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

Honker,

That is correct as i've read that page over and over. But what stumps me as you should be able to do a compression test while the motor is cold. But besides the fact, they state 159.3 at 850rpms. But i don't even think the starter can even crank the motor over that fast. I find the book to be kind of misleading on this subject. However i could be totally wrong. My bike is in pieces at the moment as I'm going to be doing some minor mods to it.

Also my motor is pretty much stock except for the variator, shorten stock exhaust, and intake. I do want to believe the motor has some kind of strange exhaust valve relief like you stated above a few post.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

dem0nk1d wrote:Honker,

That is correct as i've read that page over and over. But what stumps me as you should be able to do a compression test while the motor is cold. But besides the fact, they state 159.3 at 850rpms. But i don't even think the starter can even crank the motor over that fast. I find the book to be kind of misleading on this subject. However i could be totally wrong. My bike is in pieces at the moment as I'm going to be doing some minor mods to it.

Also my motor is pretty much stock except for the variator, shorten stock exhaust, and intake. I do want to believe the motor has some kind of strange exhaust valve relief like you stated above a few post.
850 RPMs isn't that fast. My instructor here at school verified my suspicion that it's likely that they're expecting the starter to be providing that 850, so just ignore that bit. Basically, if you do the compression check per the manual, they're expecting you to get the 159 lb spec. Now, if your starter motor is going, that could certainly change your RPMs and give you a lower reading. Do a leak-down test and see if it holds pressure.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

honkerman wrote:
dem0nk1d wrote:Honker,

850 RPMs isn't that fast. My instructor here at school verified my suspicion that it's likely that they're expecting the starter to be providing that 850, so just ignore that bit. Basically, if you do the compression check per the manual, they're expecting you to get the 159 lb spec. Now, if your starter motor is going, that could certainly change your RPMs and give you a lower reading. Do a leak-down test and see if it holds pressure.

Started the bike up for 6 mins at idle to warm the engine up. Tested the compression once more and came out with another reading of 90 PSI. I'll have to borrow a leakdown tester from my neighbor tomorrow. Sucks and I have a ride coming up soon which I cannot miss. Might have to take the Zuma 125.
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

So according to Page 10-9. It goes into very little detail about the "Decompressor system". So then how to i calculate the real PSI from 90psi if it's letting compression go??
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

dem0nk1d wrote:So according to Page 10-9. It goes into very little detail about the "Decompressor system". So then how to i calculate the real PSI from 90psi if it's letting compression go??
Since the manual indicates that the compression test should return a much higher value, it's possible the decompressor is staying engaged. A leak down test may tell you a bit more.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

What makes you think the power is less?
It is not a normal starter. It is an AC generator which is run as a starter when it is not generating. There is no way to apply 12v to it.
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

sendler2112 wrote:What makes you think the power is less?
It is not a normal starter. It is an AC generator which is run as a starter when it is not generating. There is no way to apply 12v to it.
Anyhow what I ended up doing was use the 23/22mm nut on the variator and turned the motor over with a electric drill. =P I'm still seeing 90psi anyway i do it. Anyone do a baseline compression test for me on their pcx. I suspect the decompression lobe is giving me an off reading. I will borrow that leak down compression tester today...
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

Put a few cc's of oil in the cylinder, and no difference. Leak down in the morning. It would be great if someone could get me a baseline reading if possible. I suspect uncle Honda stated the compression test incorrectly in the service manual, and didn't account for the decompression lobe. More info tomorrow.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

What is your current top speed? Is it lower than it used to be? By more than what normal belt wear would account for?
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019

Post by Alibally »

I've a compression gauge but haven't got an adapter for the smaller thread plug as my one is used on cars that have a bigger plug. I'll have a rake about to see if I can get one.

Sent from my iPad
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

Alibally wrote:I've a compression gauge but haven't got an adapter for the smaller thread plug as my one is used on cars that have a bigger plug. I'll have a rake about to see if I can get one.

Sent from my iPad
Sendler,
i was hitting the back roads on my test. Best i could do was 60. I really need to put the panels back on the bike and hit the freeway. I would usually hit the limiter at 78mph. =P

Alibally,
I got the Harbor Freight version comes with three different spark plug thread sizes.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

How did you ever hit 78 mph?, My 2013 PCX150 would do 66 when brand new. Started to dip to 64 mph by 4,000 miles with some belt wear.. And will sometimes hit the rev limiter 72mph down hill with new belt, variator , and sliders. but more usually run out of power before hitting the rev limit at 68 mph.
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

Im running the NCY variator, pod filter directly on the throttlebody, biggest tires you can go on stock rims, vented cvt case, gutted and shortened stock exhaust... and i think that's it for now. Also weights of course can't remember what weight.

Side note I'm drinking a beer by Ale Smith called My Blood Valentine Ale... OMG!!! It's really good!