pot hole danger?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

depthman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

pot hole danger?

Post by depthman »

Just curious... I've been really cautious about hitting a pot hole with my PCX 150... wondering if anyone here has ever actually gone down from a pot hole hit, or if it's generally a big bang shock but the bike will keep on moving?? (Of course, I have hit a few small holes with no problem)
ron labbe
red 2013 PCX150
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: pot hole danger?

Post by Mel46 »

I try to avoid the big pot holes since hitting one may not only be a shock on your spine, but may even cause your bike some damage. I have hit the normal small pot holes as most of us have and it was not fun, even with good shocks on. There is a main road in our area in which a large amount of construction vehicles have been operating. The road is now a mess but most of the residents of this area know that it will not be fixed until an even larger project has finished it's course in the courts, and construction has finished for that project as well. All we can do is slow down and try our best to avoid the large pot holes. It would be easy to lose control if any two wheeled vehicle tried to ride through the mess.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

There is a place to check for pothole damage or impact stress cracks on a PCX. I live in the pot hole capital of the world. They can be difficult to see and sometimes only from the inside but check the side panels. There are some threads in here with pictures, I would have to do a search. Nothing serious but pot holes should be avoided of course.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I think its all relative as to how fast you are going. Some on here do 60-70 mph without regard.. I would hate to see what happens when they hit a decent sized pothole at that speed. Its all relative take it slow and all will be good..
depthman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by depthman »

easyrider wrote:I think its all relative as to how fast you are going. Some on here do 60-70 mph without regard.. I would hate to see what happens when they hit a decent sized pothole at that speed. Its all relative take it slow and all will be good..
I use a GPS with "Avoid Highways" ticked. The fun is backroads... so 30-45 is my usual speed. I guess a hole would have to be deep enough to actually stop the bike for any serious accident to occur...
ron labbe
red 2013 PCX150
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

here we go... If you have hit a decent pot hole look here

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... ess+cracks
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
depthman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by depthman »

One of the comments:
"What would have happen, if it had been a motorcyclist???"
ron labbe
red 2013 PCX150
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

depthman wrote:Just curious... I've been really cautious about hitting a pot hole with my PCX 150... wondering if anyone here has ever actually gone down from a pot hole hit, or if it's generally a big bang shock but the bike will keep on moving?? (Of course, I have hit a few small holes with no problem)
Hitting anything can precipitate a fall, depending on the rider's reaction, the size of the object hit, etc.. If you ride it out and don't make any sudden moves to either side, a sideways fall should be avoidable. Of course, the depth of the pothole can make a difference. A deep enough hole, hit at a high enough speed, could cause damage to the front rim and forks at the least, and could even halt the vehicle, causing the rider to be thrown from it. It is best to avoid potholes in the first place, ride cautiously on pitted roads (or all roads for that matter), and always scan the road surface ahead for damage or debris.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

Shallow potholes can cause you more trouble at low speeds than at high. The deeper the hole, the less it matters what your speed is--after a certain depth, you are going down. Of course, going down at 20 mph is much more wonderful than going down at 60.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I'm not even going to open up a daily mail link. You've brought shame on yourself and your whole family
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

honkerman wrote:
depthman wrote:Just curious... I've been really cautious about hitting a pot hole with my PCX 150... wondering if anyone here has ever actually gone down from a pot hole hit, or if it's generally a big bang shock but the bike will keep on moving?? (Of course, I have hit a few small holes with no problem)
Hitting anything can precipitate a fall, depending on the rider's reaction, the size of the object hit, etc.. If you ride it out and don't make any sudden moves to either side, a sideways fall should be avoidable. Of course, the depth of the pothole can make a difference. A deep enough hole, hit at a high enough speed, could cause damage to the front rim and forks at the least, and could even halt the vehicle, causing the rider to be thrown from it. It is best to avoid potholes in the first place, ride cautiously on pitted roads (or all roads for that matter), and always scan the road surface ahead for damage or debris.

Of course, thanks for that.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

Just recently I rode along a partially flooded (tidal) road, travelling at a slow pace to avoid getting the bike and myself splashed with salt water. Unknown to me the was a pothole about 150mm (6") deep. My front wheel dropped into it and my spine felt like it was coming out the top of my head. Not good when you have a lower back problem, but a valuable lesson learned, be even more alert in those circumstances.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:I'm not even going to open up a daily mail link. You've brought shame on yourself and your whole family
Ah yes, I feel very dirty.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
zanggerk
Year: 2012
Color: black

Post by zanggerk »

It all depends of the size of the pothole. I am sure it would cause quite some damage to hit this one:
Attachments
pothole.jpg
pothole.jpg (66.33 KiB) Viewed 4532 times
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

^^ :lol: o_O Looks like the location of "Journey to the Center of The Earth?"

How can I forget! I felt the jolt clear up my crappy spine and then out my mouth! YOW!

That was last year. Riding a single lane side road, I hit a good sized pothole coming round a bend. Our asphalt roads are always heaving, cracking and opening up. They patch and fill them just to open again. I saw this one as I came upon it. I braked and took the hole (@low speed) rather than swerving around in it's remnants of gravel. Scoots and gravel = ah, No!
I do believe I chose the better of two evils. I rode away.
But.....it sure did hurt afterwards!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

zanggerk, that is a strange hole! I hope no one drove into that one! What is really strange is how perfectly round it is. Are you sure that isn't PhotoShopped?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
zanggerk
Year: 2012
Color: black

Post by zanggerk »

When I first saw the picture I also thought it's fake, but it's real. It happened some years ago in Guatemala City.
http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the- ... n-sinkhole
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by GatorGreg »

Holy crap that thing is huuuuuge! :D

Reminds me of the sinkhole we had here back in the 80's that ate a pool and several Porsches:

2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
Fran
Year: 2014
Color: White

Post by Fran »

I know all the potholes on my route to work. I reported the worst ones to the council and they actually filled them in!

Oh, and understanding counter-steering helps avoid things. They never taught it on my CBT but I found out about it off Youtube.