deductible on comprehensive insurance!!!!

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

dog64bull
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

deductible on comprehensive insurance!!!!

Post by dog64bull »

hey guys I have a question. What deductible on comprehensive insurance should I use for my pcx? 500, 250, or 100? I moved to a bad neighborhood and im kind of worried about my PCX. Im not to familiar with insurance. someone respond asap.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Re: deductible on comprehensive insurance!!!!

Post by Mel46 »

How much can you afford out of your pocket if anything happens to your bike? We had $250 deductible and that covered the windshield and a couple of panels. You can replace all of the plastics yourself for around $250. If you are in a bad neighborhood chances are good that you don't have much money. That means you probably can't afford to fix your bike if it gets trashed. If a shop fixes your bike the price is $75/hr for labor. The parts from the dealer are more expensive than online. If you can't afford for them to fix it, learn how to do it yourself because $250 deductible won't go far using the dealer.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dog64bull
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by dog64bull »

Mel46 wrote:How much can you afford out of your pocket if anything happens to your bike? We had $250 deductible and that covered the windshield and a couple of panels. You can replace all of the plastics yourself for around $250. If you are in a bad neighborhood chances are good that you don't have much money. That means you probably can't afford to fix your bike if it gets trashed. If a shop fixes your bike the price is $75/hr for labor. The parts from the dealer are more expensive than online. If you can't afford for them to fix it, learn how to do it yourself because $250 deductible won't go far using the dealer.
alright thanks. But one more questions. do u think I should get a $100 deductible? is that wise? I read that if u have a low deductible and the damage is more than the deductible, insurance will pay most of it, If not all. I don't mind higher monthly payments
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

If the cost differential is not unbearable and you think that your scoot may be a target, then go for the lower deductible. I usually try to figure out how many months of increased rate does it take before I have paid more than the difference in deductible. That is to say --- suppose the adder to go from $250 to $100 deductible is $15/mo. In ten months, I have paid the difference, and will now just keep on paying. I would have been better off going with the $250 to start. OTOH, should something happen three or four months in, then you make out. That also assumes the insurance company doesn't try to weasel out of paying. Good luck.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I would choose the $100 deductible too. You are in an area that might not be safe for either you or your bike. Take the safest route and hedge your bet.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers