Shopping for my first Scooter

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

heythorp

Re: Shopping for my first Scooter

Post by heythorp »

Yeah,

You can't pass tax and tags onto the next guy. You can try, but its just not going to work. There is no sales tax in the private market.

The more I read and read and read, the more I am leaning toward the 150 just for the extra mph.

We aren't in a hurry and definitely can take some time to find the right deal.

Plus my mother just offered me her 2000 BMW Z3. This solves our second vehicle issue and I can't think of a more proper place for that car to come and retire than sunny CA (she lives in Philadelphia) It needs a lot of work, most I can do so that might kill the sooot talk for a while.
My other Ride:
It was annoying me, it must have been annoying others.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

For a private transaction on the East coast, I wouldn't pay more than $2000 for any used PCX, regardless of how new it is.

Scooters on the West coast keep value better, but the 2nd one is waaaay overpriced.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rainburg »

Our local dealer has a new PCX125 on the floor for $2990 according to their website, and I suspect you can bargain down from that so the ads you're seeing for a used PCX are just crazy. I know there are regional variations, but it shouldn't be much or truckloads of used scoots would be shipping across the country. I'll be going to the dealer this week to get a tire replaced on our Burgman (ran over a nail apparently :( ), and I'll see if I can get a better idea on the price. We've talked about getting a second PCX but not very seriously....... for the right price however, I'd consider it.
2011 Honda PCX, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2 Honda Civics, 5 bicycles and 1 more on order
heythorp

Post by heythorp »

I don't mind paying a premium for our location, but that certainly does not mean anyone should be stupid. I would drop 2500 for the one with 300 miles on it (as long as everything checked out). Its just never going to happen. That guy is going to end up keeping that thing for years.

Let me know rainberg its nice to collect info from across the country.
My other Ride:
heythorp

Post by heythorp »

They just keep blowing my mind.

2009 Zuma 125
6000 miles and wants 2300.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/3260986436.html
My other Ride:
rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rainburg »

Heythorp,

Have you tried looking at Cycle Trader? I'm not sure how good it is, but when I've searched for a PCX with our zip code it has listed the dealers who have them in their showrooms. It is also for private party transactions. Might be worth a look in addition to Craigslist since they are more specialized.

http://www.cycletrader.com/

I didn't talk to the dealer about the PCX which was on their sales floor. I was too disgusted with the price to mount a tire, and had no desire to spend extra time in the showroom. Next up for us, tools to do tire changes ourselves. Avoid the dealer whenever possible.
2011 Honda PCX, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2 Honda Civics, 5 bicycles and 1 more on order