Question to you from a newbie rider

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

happyscooter
Regular User
Regular User

Question to you from a newbie rider

Post by happyscooter »

Ive had my pcx for a few days now and im getting really good at riding (on the backroads thru suburbia) but i was wanting to know when you all started riding did you worry about going 35-40+mph on yours? like what happens if you hit a small bump etc. thats the thing i fear the most. going at speeds like that how well the pcx can deal with that kinda stuff. Would love to hear your input.
DixiePaddler

Re: Question to you from a newbie rider

Post by DixiePaddler »

The larger wheels definitely help soak up bumps - driving home from the dealership yesterday morning was on a cement road (35-40 mph speed limits) with regular frost-heave bumps. Only a couple of times I "stood up" (butt off seat) to lean over the bumps... no worries. Even hit 45+ without thinking on a multi-lane section of a bridge over a bay, major grin factor! :D
Tristik
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Tristik »

~~
I think it took a whole day for me to be comfortable enough to go over 35. I've had my bike for a tad over a month now I think and I've had it up to 70. The bumps and dips really worried me at first and I was tensing up a lot. Now that I've ridden more, I've fell into a more relaxed grip on the bike and hunch over a little bit to make sure there is slack in my arms so the handlebars don't get ripped out of my hands on a big, unseen bump or dip.

The dips scared me more than bumps did. With bumps, it kinda pushes the grips into your hands, but on dips it tries to rip them out of your hands. That's why I've naturally fell into a stance that allows more travel in my arms I think. We have a lot of crappy roads out here.
~~
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Hmmm, let me see, what did it feel like when I started riding...?
It's so long ago I can't remember :lol:
Try to monitor the road surface ahead and steer round any obvious major bumps and holes.
And try to remember where they are so you can avoid them in the dark too ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

Welcome to the forums Happyscooter. I am amazed at how road furniture can be so badly thought out with regards to potential hazards to motorcyclists/scooterists. My particular gripe is with the location of many manhole covers. I have a stretch of road on my commute that seems to have been designed to catch out the unwary. Thankfully I have ridden this road for years on big bikes and know from experience which entry line to take as many covers are 'on my line' and appear on adverse cambers. Not so much of a problem in the dry but potentially problematic in the wet. The same with a few corners where, it seems to me, that heavy trucks have worn the road surface (or moved the tarmac) into little bumps and ridges right where you naturally ride. Local knowledge is a wonderful thing and planning your positioning and then getting through the bend nicely under power can be one of the true joys of riding on two wheels. The same goes (actually probably more so) for negotiating a piece of road for the first time and 'getting it right'. Many 'newbies' think that getting on a machine and going full blast is cool but you have to be aware that hazards lurk just around every blind bend and you should only ride at a speed that you can comfortably stop within your bounds of vision...diffficult sometimes I know. Just keeps your eyes open and your wits about you. Take in all the clues that are there for you (road signs, car brake lights coming on, double white lines etc) In the UK, when the dotted white lines 'lengthen' (say from 8 feet long to say 15 feet long) it's telling you some hazard is ahead ( a tightening bend, a hump in the road or maybe narrowing lanes or concealed entrances-it may be anything, and not immediately apparent)

Hope this helps,

Bill
Image[/URL
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Hmmm, let me see, what did it feel like when I started riding...?
It's so long ago I can't remember :lol:

Can you remember the man with the red flag?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Cheeky cunt :lol:
I can remember when you could just pitch up at a bike shop and ride off on a screaming 250 stroker without any tuition whatsoever, just a pair of L-plates and you were good to go.
So that makes me young becase I can't remember when you could ride a 650 on L-plates.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

gn2 wrote:Cheeky cunt :lol:
I can remember when you could just pitch up at a bike shop and ride off on a screaming 250 stroker without any tuition whatsoever, just a pair of L-plates and you were good to go.
So that makes me young becase I can't remember when you could ride a 650 on L-plates.
Come to Switzerland.....you can still do it. I could have got an A license in the post and ridden out on a shiny new unrestricted Firebird that day. 12 hours of lessons within 4 months and a practical test within 12 months. No riding experience required o_O (just over 25 with a car license). I'm old, so my sense of mortality made me go for an A1 125cc license for a while.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Cheeky cunt :lol:

Remember what?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Back on topic, I've hit some monsterous potholes on my PCX. Don't panic, just ride it through.

My first bike, back in 2006, took me about a week of practicing before I was willing to go 60+. I was being a bit reckless though.

Take it easy and stay in your comfort zone. It doesn't matter how long it takes you to feel safe at 60mph, what matters is that you're safe and in your comfort zone while riding. Injuries and accidents occur when you ride above your skill level, so don't worry how long it takes.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes