Cheap lesson: add me to the crash list?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

db22
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Cheap lesson: add me to the crash list?

Post by db22 »

I park my PCX in a private parking ramp my employer owns, since someone tried to steal my old CB550 last year in the public bike parking area. There are several tight turns required to reach the right floor, and in reverse to descend to the street. On the way out this evening, I encountered a car going up the ramp just as I turned and leaned around the corner. I was tired and wasn't used to cars coming up the ramp in the evening, so I panicked and squeezed the rear brake too hard. The rear wheel locked and I slid down on the right side, going about 2mph. The driver stopped and asked if I needed help, but nothing was hurt other than my ego. The PCX sat calmly on its side, purring away. I had a rolling fall, landing on my elbow and shoulder and bumping my head on the concrete. I was wearing a jacket with elbow and shoulder armor, and a 3/4 helmet, and did not suffer even a slight bruise. The bump on the head was loud, but the helmet distributed the impact and I felt no jolt. I stopped the engine, picked up the bike and coasted down to the ground floor to examine the damage. Some minor scuffs on the plastic and a loose right mirror, nothing more. This was a cheap lesson -- stay awake, expect the unexpected, and wear an armored jacket and a helmet.
I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride...
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: Cheap lesson: add me to the crash list?

Post by flyingzonker »

I know where you are coming from. I'm sure that now (and probably before now) you would sooner go riding without your pants on than go without your helmet. That, at any rate, is how I feel after twice falling off my PCX, both times at low speeds, and both times owing the fact that I was able to get up and walk away---well, actually both times I rode away, and one of those times I rode away with a badly sprained ankle, but at least my skull was intact--to the fact that both times I was wearing my sporty high viz yellow full face helmet.

Cheap lesson indeed, if it teaches you how God damned easy it is to go down and how pathetically vulnerable the head is (and knees and elbows) when you do.

Helmet and knee and elbow protection can really help you out when you go down at 15 or 20 mph. Go down at anything over 40--I wanted to type 30, but I will walk on the wild side and go with 40-- and nothing with help you much.
Sasso
Color: White

Post by Sasso »

Gear helps you at any speed, and speed is not the only decided factor in injuries sustained whilst falling off a bike.

HOW you fall off and on what body parts you land on also determine the injuries.

I've fallen off going at 20kmph and hurt my knee quite bad due to it being one of the first impact zones.

I've also recently come off at 45kmph and suffered less pain and injuries than the slower speed off. I attribute this to the lower height at which my bike and my body departed, thus less vertical force and the fall must have distributed the energy to a more generalised area over my body and not one particular extremity.

All in all falling off a moving object and hitting hard ground sucks, but it sucks considerably less with wearing motorcycling gear aka helmet, jackets, gloves, boots, and pants.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

flyingzonker wrote:I know where you are coming from. I'm sure that now (and probably before now) you would sooner go riding without your pants on than go without your helmet. That, at any rate, is how I feel after twice falling off my PCX, both times at low speeds, and both times owing the fact that I was able to get up and walk away---well, actually both times I rode away, and one of those times I rode away with a badly sprained ankle, but at least my skull was intact--to the fact that both times I was wearing my sporty high viz yellow full face helmet.

Cheap lesson indeed, if it teaches you how God damned easy it is to go down and how pathetically vulnerable the head is (and knees and elbows) when you do.

Helmet and knee and elbow protection can really help you out when you go down at 15 or 20 mph. Go down at anything over 40--I wanted to type 30, but I will walk on the wild side and go with 40-- and nothing with help you much.

That's not true really is it.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I went down at 45 mph, and all of my gear worked as advertised, so don't think the gear isn't helpful at 40 mph. It was so helpful that I walked away unhurt. Compare that to those who go down and only have a helmet on. Their head would definitely be saved, but the rest of them will wish it had the protective gear on as well.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

you you wrote:
flyingzonker wrote:I know where you are coming from. I'm sure that now (and probably before now) you would sooner go riding without your pants on than go without your helmet. That, at any rate, is how I feel after twice falling off my PCX, both times at low speeds, and both times owing the fact that I was able to get up and walk away---well, actually both times I rode away, and one of those times I rode away with a badly sprained ankle, but at least my skull was intact--to the fact that both times I was wearing my sporty high viz yellow full face helmet.

That's not true really is it.
Gotta agree with YouYou on this one, FlyingZonker. I've fallen off of those things several times over 40 mph and I've tried it with more gear and less gear and in-between amounts of gear and I have to say the more gear the better in every case.

Johnny

p.s.: Mel is right again!
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

Sasso wrote:Gear helps you at any speed, and speed is not the only decided factor in injuries sustained whilst falling off a bike.

HOW you fall off and on what body parts you land on also determine the injuries.
Yes, gear at any speed is better than no gear at any speed. And yes, how you land and on which limb or/and organ, is a big part of the mix. Of course, you, who have fallen off multiple times, must be aware of how little part you play in deciding how you land and which part of your carnality takes the brunt. My experience with falling has been such that I am down and done for before I have time to blink.

I will say this for high speed: You have more stability, due to momentum and gyroscopic pressure, than you do at lower speeds and are less likely-provided some other vehicle does not enter your space, and provided you are a skilled cornerer-- to come to accidental grief. I think there is a statistic to the effect that most motorcycle/scooter accidents are low speed affairs, occurring at 30 mph or less.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:I went down at 45 mph, and all of my gear worked as advertised
:lol: :lol: :lol: I know this isn't funny to you or anyone for that matter but I have a weird sense of humor and I laughed out loud at the statement. You are like the crash dummy of the PCX forum AND you made the evening TV news! Why are you my hero Mel? I would ride with you anytime.

As for the poster do we put him on the crash list for this incident Mel? The whole 2mph thing seems more like a topple and I feel bad and want to give him a pass for the circumstances but he's so sincere about it. I enjoyed reading his peril more that I should for the writing and hope it doesn't happen to me :D I leave it up to him, maybe he plans a more exciting crash soon and this will be an unjustified addition to the PCX crash survivors hall of fame... but it would be a good read from this guy.
Attachments
mac2.jpg
mac2.jpg (8.47 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
db22
Regular User
Regular User

Post by db22 »

homie wrote:
Mel46 wrote:I went down at 45 mph, and all of my gear worked as advertised
:lol: :lol: :lol: I know this isn't funny to you or anyone for that matter but I have a weird sense of humor and I laughed out loud at the statement. You are like the crash dummy of the PCX forum AND you made the evening TV news! Why are you my hero Mel? I would ride with you anytime.

As for the poster do we put him on the crash list for this incident Mel? The whole 2mph thing seems more like a topple and I feel bad and want to give him a pass for the circumstances but he's so sincere about it. I enjoyed reading his peril more that I should for the writing and hope it doesn't happen to me :D I leave it up to him, maybe he plans a more exciting crash soon and this will be an unjustified addition to the PCX crash survivors hall of fame... but it would be a good read from this guy.
Thanks for the generous review of my writing. This is my third low-speed topple on a two-wheel motor vehicle, first on a PCX (yes, it was a topple, not a crash -- the brakes slowed me down a lot before I went down). I have no plans to dump a bike at a higher velocity.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Stick him in Homie as a benchmark for a minimum crash. We used to call them a scrumple.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

you you wrote:Stick him in Homie as a benchmark for a minimum crash. We used to call them a scrumple.
youyou has spoken and because his dongle is hanging longer than mine in avatar db22 makes the glorious crash survivor hall of fame. Lets get his scoot touched up and back out there with all the confidence he needs to ride again.

I dub thee sir db22 honorary member, may ye never go off again... hale, hale, ra, ra.... woot!
Attachments
mac&chief3.jpg
mac&chief3.jpg (9.1 KiB) Viewed 1386 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
you you wrote:Stick him in Homie as a benchmark for a minimum crash. We used to call them a scrumple.
youyou has spoken and because his dongle is hanging longer than mine in avatar db22 makes the glorious crash survivor hall of fame. Lets get his scoot touched up and back out there with all the confidence he needs to ride again.

I dub thee sir db22 honorary member, may ye never go off again... hale, hale, ra, ra.... woot!

It's a wingtip!!
Geoffers
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Matt Black

Post by Geoffers »

I've came off once at motorway speed thanks to some black ice I didn't see. I went skidding across the carriageway on my back like a pebble skimmed across a lake. Without full gear I would have been a smear on the tarmac. In reality I got nothing but a few bruises.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Geoffers wrote:I've came off once at motorway speed thanks to some black ice I didn't see. I went skidding across the carriageway on my back like a pebble skimmed across a lake. Without full gear I would have been a smear on the tarmac. In reality I got nothing but a few bruises.
That's why we wear it, I see all these Illinois squids out there today and just because we can dosent mean we should. I was on the Stevenson last night for my weekly need for speed in full gear after watching to much news over plane crashes and mosquito disease as I'm about to surrender myself to travel to Hawaii next week and the 90-110 mph burst down the expressway really resets your anxiety meter. Face your fear head on and it all fades to black... I am ready for anything :lol:
db22
Regular User
Regular User

Post by db22 »

homie wrote:

Thanks, homie! Did some minor touch-up while the plastic was off for my first valve adjustment. It'll never look "new" again, but nothing I own ever does.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

db22 wrote:
homie wrote:I dub thee sir db22 honorary member, may ye never go off again... hale, hale, ra, ra.... woot!
Thanks, homie! Did some minor touch-up while the plastic was off for my first valve adjustment. It'll never look "new" again, but nothing I own ever does.
you know... we can find you the new plastics for peanuts here in the states but man you will need the patience of Job to do forward panels... and you know how patient he was o_O
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

The other day, and today, I saw this thread's title and author. The word "crash" had me moving on and scrolling through assorted topics, I replied to a few but this one kept haunting me.
I wondered, How long can I escape reading it? I'm not capable of worrying for long periods I can assure you. Tonight was the night for me to read here.

I need an emoticon sighing with Relief!
Twas a spill a wee one and db,...you are alright!! I'm better too, thanks!

Scoot doesn't hurt, no worries there. Plastics are easily obtained and cheap here in the U.S of A.
YES indeedy! You had your gear on. Head saved! Applause, applause!
I bet it rattled you more than anything. You knew you lucked out. Being tired and seeing a car where a car normally isn't! That surprised you. The rest is history.

Next time Please consider another means of transportation when you know you feel tired.
Phone a friend? Family? Someone awake?

Sigh....all is good in PCX land once again. Goodnight
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

WN sometimes I get spooked, an uneasy feeling when i'm out there in traffic. Like you are not on your game, senses just not sharp enough for the ride. What's my problem, focus homey, never ride distracted it's not a car where you feel safe to have thoughts of the day while driving. I go home or get off at Starbucks and re-calibrate. Anything but keep joy riding when I get that un-easy sensation. Music helps a lot, not sure why.

Also a clue that fatigue is sneaking up is your balance when stopping, I like a clean perfect three point stop, 2 wheels and my foot :) no wobble or weaving or its time to go home.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

So glad you elaborated homie. ;) Worth mentioning: "Those Off Beat Days"

Yes, I have had that sensation, that odd feeling whilst riding.
Feeling uncomfortable, shakey, nervous, distracted, vision off, tired bro, just tired.
Then there's worry, that gets the best of me too (Mom and all). Funny how your body signals you.
I can definitely sense when "I'm out of sorts."

Sooo...It's important to listen to oneself cause ain't nobody gonna hear that inner voice singing out but you!
And nobody knows your body the way you do!

One day last year I suited up all anxious to ride. It was a spectactcular sun filled, blue skyed and wind free day. I felt for sure that my God delivered it to me personally :P That's how Perfect the Day was!
Off I rolled, I got myself a mile or two away and strangely felt "I wasn't with it!" So I pulled over.

I sat there wondering why? I took a few deep calm breaths, gave myself a chat, then moved along again. Still Not good. My Legs were not landing properly, my timing was off the mark. Traffic lights were even spooking me. Wow, what the heck's going on! I was depressed, then annoyed. I just had to turn my scoot around. I got home safe after going only a few miles! Geez, that sucked!! What happened?
I sat on my deck in my gear and noticed my heart was thumping. My blood pressure must have been down or up (I thought). Either way nothing got better that day. I had to accept it was my Bodies "Off Day." That sure as hell didn't make me feel any better! But waking the next day did :P

I'm telling you my story today. "I'm Still Standing," ..... I listened to me
~The End~
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Its true the streets are unforgiving for us bikers, sometimes you feel in command and anticipate everyones next move and other times you just can't sink with the traffic. These are the times you had better listen and find something else to do because its all for pleasure over at my garage and it's not going to be fun to crash... says the riders listed below.