Took a spill yesterday...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Took a spill yesterday...

Post by C-Note »

Well, I took a little spill yesterday, in a situation that I knew could be dangerous, but it happened very quickly and I could do nothing to stop it.

I was headed down a hill in a rural area towards a unmarked "T" intersection. Just in front of the intersection is a pair a railroad tracks. The first track is a short distance (maybe 30 ft) from the intersection, but the second track is right at the intersection. If you are making a turn, the track is actually under you tires.

As I came to the intersection, I began to make a left turn while looking right. There was a car approaching and when I hit the brakes the bike slid out from under me and I went down. I wasn't going very fast at all, only a few mph but the bike slid out like I was on ice, and it was perfectly dry. I know better, but it didn't occur to me at the time.

I didn't get a scratch as I was dressed for riding. I did hit my head on the pavement but I had a full face helmet on and they work well. I'm glad I was wearing it. The worst thing that came out of the whole incident is that I have a few skuffs on the bike faring, and a little wounded pride. Other than that I am fine, bike is fine.

Live and learn I guess. Be careful on RR Tracks. I have a new found respect for them, even when moving slowly.
rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Took a spill yesterday...

Post by rainburg »

So sorry to hear that you had a fall :cry: , but very good news that you are fine and the scooter is in decent shape too! Did you go down because you were braking when you reached the railroad tracks? Or did you meet the railroad tracks at a bad angle? Just trying to add to my limited knowledge base.

Thanks for sharing your experience C-Note!
2011 Honda PCX, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2 Honda Civics, 5 bicycles and 1 more on order
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

You need to replace your helmet - they're one hit wonders. Glad you're OK :D
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

I think it was due to the angle of the bike on the track when I braked. I was slightly turning when it slid out.
DixiePaddler

Post by DixiePaddler »

Glad you're okay, as well as the bike!

Luckily in my area, the train track crossings are well within the 45 degree safety guideline. My big watch-out-for is beach sand accumulating on streets.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Good to hear you are ok - gear works. Train tracks are slippery buggers - I have tram tracks all over Zurich and I'm always extra careful it crossing on any angle. Brakes are just a no no on these guys.
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

Geez, I knew tracks are slippery but not that much. Happy nothing worse happened. I need to cross a railway crossing in my area, too, but British Rail put some rubbery stuff between tracks and its in a 90 degrees angle. Good to know what can happen.

And yes, you will need a new helmet, the inner shock absorption layer is compressed now.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

djcat wrote:Geez, I knew tracks are slippery but not that much. Happy nothing worse happened. I need to cross a railway crossing in my area, too, but British Rail put some rubbery stuff between tracks and its in a 90 degrees angle. Good to know what can happen.

And yes, you will need a new helmet, the inner shock absorption layer is compressed now.
No they can be like ice. Remember that they are iron and can collect moisture if they are at a lower temperature than the environment

The helmet may not need changing. It would depend on the severity of the bump. Definitely need an examination though.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

C-Note, Good to read you're okay. How ya feeling now?
As a kid train tracks just seemed to be everywhere I wanted to go on my bicycle. When we'd meet up I could almost hear them saying "I dare ya to cross me!" I learned really fast how to make it to the other side "upright" as I crossed them. Yep, bicycle riding was truly my train-ing wheels for the future. Here's a youtube that I found informative on tackling those rails
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq9LenxS-ug
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

Glad you're OK and that you had minor damage to your PCX. One never stops learning, even if it has to be the hard way.

One of the things I was advised to do when I started riding was to stay clear from manhole covers, even in the dry, and to be very wary of pedestrian crossings in the wet. Where I live they are painted with some kind of special paint so they don't slipper that much, but I'm still cautious on them. No braking, gentle throttling and ride as upright as I can whilst on them. Train tracks are pretty much the same.

I do these things even on the dry, so it becomes second nature and I don't have to think about doing it if I'm on the wet.
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

WhiteNoise wrote:C-Note, Good to read you're okay. How ya feeling now?
As a kid train tracks just seemed to be everywhere I wanted to go on my bicycle. When we'd meet up I could almost hear them saying "I dare ya to cross me!" I learned really fast how to make it to the other side "upright" as I crossed them. Yep, bicycle riding was truly my train-ing wheels for the future. Here's a youtube that I found informative on tackling those rails
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq9LenxS-ug
I'm ok, just noticed a bruise on my left elbow. Other than that I'm ok. I do have a couple of scuffs on the faring that will need to be repainted, but no cracks.

These tracks are perpendicular to the road and my path of travel, but they are right at the intersection, and the intersection is fairly blind to the right, so I did not see the car coming until I was on the tracks and starting to turn, that's when I braked. Man it was like ice! I was barely moving.
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

Cascanciu wrote:Glad you're OK and that you had minor damage to your PCX. One never stops learning, even if it has to be the hard way.

One of the things I was advised to do when I started riding was to stay clear from manhole covers, even in the dry, and to be very wary of pedestrian crossings in the wet. Where I live they are painted with some kind of special paint so they don't slipper that much, but I'm still cautious on them. No braking, gentle throttling and ride as upright as I can whilst on them. Train tracks are pretty much the same.

I do these things even on the dry, so it becomes second nature and I don't have to think about doing it if I'm on the wet.
Good advice, never really considered painted crossings.