Finally Tried the Burgman

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Finally Tried the Burgman

Post by rainburg »

Well, after almost 6 years of ownership I finally rode our Burgman 400 this past weekend. I always intended to ride it, but felt a bit intimidated by the monster. After riding the PCX for a year now, I was finally more than ready to give it a try. Same basic controls; how tough can it be? We just rode around our neighborhood area so I was limited to modest speeds.

The first thing I noticed was that I was making my turns wider than usual. Definitely can't roll the throttle back as hard as I do on the PCX. The Burgman wasn't smooth at slow speeds, but had a nice pleasant low pitched hum to the engine once you were moving. No surprise that it took steep hills with ease, and it was nice to be able to apply some throttle. Definitely could leave the PCX far behind climbing a steep hill. In general, it is also a much more solid ride and I didn't feel the bumps in the road the same way. Not sure if it is just the much greater weight that keeps it solidly on the road or if it also has better suspension. I also found I was warmer on the Burgman as it has much better wind protection with its wider body.

For the type of riding I do the PCX is a great scooter. It is so light and maneuverable and feels much more like my bicycle in the way that it handles. I intend to ride the Burgman occasionally just so I have more experience and can ride it safely should I need to for some reason. The Burgman is definitely a better scooter if you need more power and it would be much more comfortable on a long ride or in windy conditions. That said, I'll happily be taking my PCX out and leaving the Burgman in the garage most days I ride.
2011 Honda PCX, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2 Honda Civics, 5 bicycles and 1 more on order
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: Finally Tried the Burgman

Post by maddiedog »

Since the Burg is so huge, it'll float over bumps much better than the PCX. Your description of the Burg vs the PCX is very similar to how I feel with my Silverwing vs my PCX. I'll be taking my PCX whenever I can, it's lighter, more nimble, but much smaller and less comfortable than the Silverwing.

I've been trying to convince my wife to ride my Silverwing, but she won't even ride my PCX, since the PCX is a decent bit larger than her Buddy 125. :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rainburg »

The Silverwing looks fabulous for riding two up. I thought we'd do some rides together on the Burgman, but we never have. Now that I have my endorsement and ride a scooter, I'm really not interested in being a passenger. I haven't asked my husband, but I don't think he'd want to ride pillion either ;) So, if we are going to ride scooters together, I'm afraid we'll be riding a pair.

Has Maddie tried the new Silverwing yet? If so, where is she riding?
2011 Honda PCX, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2 Honda Civics, 5 bicycles and 1 more on order
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

She rides in the same spot on the Silverwing as on the PCX, on the tunnel bag. :D

I cant tell which she likes more. She is more inclined to nap on the Silverwing though, since she gets less wind. She took an hour-long nap on the Silverwing last weekend on the highway, while we were doing around 75mph. Dogs are like kids, they can sleep through anything. :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

maddiedog wrote:Dogs are like kids, they can sleep through anything. :lol:
Indeed, here's one kid sleeping at the wrong time

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong