Accidents

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gagazman
Year: 2016
Color: PCX Black

Re: Accidents

Post by gagazman »

flyingzonker wrote:It doesn't hurt to be a little scared when riding. You will by and by get more confident and then you will be tempted to start taking risks--that is the danger. I sometimes think it is good to get into an accident early on, as long as it is not fatal or permanently maiming, because it will teach you the importance of helmet, gloves, boots, etc. It will nip fool's confidence in the bud.

I got highsided when I first started riding. I had always worn a helmet and was thinking that maybe I was being a flipping sissy in that regard--I mean, in Illinois helmets are the exception, not the rule. Here I was on a scooter wearing a full face helmet, and these guys on Goldwings and Electraglides were sailing past me all day with their hair flying naked in the breeze. I had just about decided to can the helmet, when I got thrown violently off my bike, and dove head first into a cement curb. I remember the powerful smack my helmeted head made against that concrete. I immediately jumped up, put my hands to my head and couldn't believe I was still alive. I have never even so much as sat down on a bike after that without a helmet on.

I have had three or four accidents. I am a better rider for having had them.

I wouldn't advise people not to watch accident vids--that is a pretty good way to learn what not to do.

Here in the UK helmets are compulsory so no choice in the matter, which is a good thing.

I wear a full face helmet and at times feel a right prat but I just think about it that it could save my life one day.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When we had our accident our helmets were ruined but saved our heads. If we had opted for those skull cap type of helmets we would still be in the middle of face reconstruction. I rolled about 40 yards on asphalt but was able to get up, dust myself off and go over to help my wife who was not wearing her full protection. Consider your helmet and other body armor as your replacement for car airbags.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Post by montliz44 »

honkerman wrote:
gagazman wrote:Cheers all. i know it is maybe premature to have these thoughts. i have all the safety gear (helmet, gloves, jacket, trousers, boots, hi viz vest) and try my best to pre-empt what is going on with regards to the road. i always stop at junctions and look, i always slow down for corners, I am constantly looking in my mirrors. I am enjoying my riding of my beloved PCX, and yes, maybe I think i should stop watching youtube and reading crash reports.
I am not going to stop something I have always wanted to do (but never got round to it). And with you guys to turn to when it gets tough, all the more better.
Thats all!!
Don't believe the well used bit about: "there are two kinds of riders...those who have crashed and those who will." While many of us have, there are plenty who haven't and never will. I think that old saw is used to comfort bad riders who can't seem to keep their wheels underneath them. You seem to be taking all the right steps.

If you have not done so already, you may allay some of your fears by taking a rider safety course. N
"The preacher said 'You know you always have the Lord by your side', and I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran twenty red lights in His name. Thank you Jesus; thank you Lord." -- Jagger/Richards, Sony/ATV 1977

Good luck, pal.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
artiglieri

Post by artiglieri »

Hi, I saw this site & thread by chance and thought I might have some advice valuable to others.

Firstly, the "two types of rider.." phrase may seem pithy and a bit unpleasant, but from my experience it is pretty accurate. Crashes are not indicative of rider skill, nor is the bike they ride, nor their licence status. You can do everything perfectly and still be involved in a crash. At the end of the day, if you're not prepared to risk a crash you shouldn't be riding. Never think "I'm too good/too careful/too well-equipped to crash". It happens. And if it hasn't happened yet, don't get complacent or arrogant - you've only been lucky!

Back to my point, I've been riding (commuting and social, in the UK) for several years now. I do about 30 miles a day, every day, all year. The vast brunt of it on a PCX125, but some of a range of bikes. I also work in physiotherapy, so I see a lot of motorcycle accident reports and injuries. You're right about that already - don't read accident reports, nothing good will come of it. You're not reading facts, you're reading someone's version of events. It's unreliable and you can't take anything away from it.

I've crashed 5 times in total (I think), all different scenarios, but I've learned something from each time and it hasn't deterred me from riding at all. In fact, it's quite the opposite - I'm determined to keep improving (my riding skill, my decision-making, and my contingency planning). I have sustained bad injuries - fractures, dislocations, muscle tears, concussion, and I have had titanium plates and screws put in my shoulder and clavicle.

This is my advice to you:

-With regard to adverse weather, always trust your instincts and never overrule it with advice from car-drivers, weather reports or pedestrians. If you have an inclination that the weather is unsuitable - don't ride. Only ever take advice from other motorcycle riders who have been through those exact conditions i.e. same day, same time, same roads. I would have avoided one crash if I had followed this rule.

-Never assume a car driver will do what they're telling you they'll do - they can be dipping their lights, waving you across a road, indicating .etc. it doesn't matter. Only go into the gap when you know 100% you can get out of it if they do the opposite of what they're telling you. In my case, I had a van driver in traffic wave me across the gap in front of him, only to accelerate straight into me and cause terminal damage to my scooter. These days, I only turn across the path of traffic if they are completely stationary and I'm satisfied they literally couldn't hit me even if they tried. Be paranoid! Very rarely car-drivers basically will show such a blatant disregard for your safety that they are essentially guilty of homicidal behaviour.

-Film everything! I've been hit and had car drivers & their insurers claim it never happened. If you're the only one with significant damage, and no reliable witnesses (mine gave all details and then wouldn't return any contact), expect to have a fight on your hands to prove it ever happened. I now ride with a shoulder-mounted GoPro at all times. It could have saved me thousands of pounds in insurance fees if I'd had it earlier.

-Watch motorcyle racing. It always astounds me how few riders actually watch racing. It's like a park footballer not watching the world cup. You will pick up so many tips and helpful bits to improve your skill and your outlook. I'm a Jorge Lorenzo fan and watching him has given me an ultra-smooth riding style all about momentum and balance, it's given me the two-finger breaking technique (four fingers seems ridiculous now), and when I broke my leg & shattered my clavicle & dislocated my shoulder, I was so much more knowledgeable about the injury, the surgery, how to best recuperate & minimise recovery time, I knew how it would affect me, and it gave me inspiration and morale. In short, watching motorsport has made me a far better and more confident rider.

-Buy a premium brand helmet. When you're riding frequently it becomes about the most important thing in the world to you, and I echo what the others have said. You might get some funny comments made, but the tarmac doesn't care what you used to be sitting on when you're about to hit it.

..and, by the way, with regard to the PCX: it's fantastic. You couldn't have a more forgiving, more capable (pound-for-pound) ride! I hope there's something helpful for you here :)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

artiglieri wrote: I hope there's something helpful for you here :)
I liked it! Read the whole thing AND I might watch the motor sports too. Good read... excellent!
ScooterAddict
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by ScooterAddict »

gn2 wrote:Two wheels carries additional risk. Inescapable fact.
When I became a father I stopped riding.
When I became a 'rider,' I quit fathering kids! (Didn't have any!)
2013 PCX150, GIVI tall w/s, Hondaline topcase, Tusk 15mm handlebar risers, NCY Variator, NCY Drive Face, NCY 13gram rollers. (I put a brand new Honda OEM belt on), R- Michelin City Grip, Front- Michelin City Grip, 10w30 syn with 2oz of MotorKote, GrabOn grip covers.

2013 Honda CRF250L
2-2005 Honda Metropolitan's,
I have always had big displacement road bikes. I'm now into the "small revolution."
I just need one more 2 wheeler!!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

ScooterAddict wrote:
gn2 wrote:Two wheels carries additional risk. Inescapable fact.
When I became a father I stopped riding.
When I became a 'rider,' I quit fathering kids! (Didn't have any!)

He meant the local sheep.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

artiglieri wrote:I'm a Jorge Lorenzo fan
Me too.
Don't care if he wins the championship this year or not, just so long as he beats Rossi.
artiglieri wrote: and watching him has given me an ultra-smooth riding style all about momentum and balance, it's given me the two-finger breaking technique (four fingers seems ridiculous now)
The correct number of fingers for scooter brakes is four, they are designed to be operated by four fingers.
If you habitually operate the left lever of a PCX with two fingers, when bad shit happens and you need to grab a really big handful, your two fingers will not be able to get the maximum retardation from the braking system.

The brakes on motogp bikes are a completely different animal altogether.
Remember Catalunya 2006...?

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:I'm a Jorge Lorenzo fan
Me too.
Don't care if he wins the championship this year or not, just so long as he beats Rossi.

[/quote]

Even for a Scot you are truly a miserable soulless bastard.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:Even for a Scot you are truly a miserable soulless bastard.
Love you too :kiss:
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
gagazman
Year: 2016
Color: PCX Black

Post by gagazman »

artiglieri wrote:Hi, I saw this site & thread by chance and thought I might have some advice valuable to others.

Firstly, the "two types of rider.." phrase may seem pithy and a bit unpleasant, but from my experience it is pretty accurate. Crashes are not indicative of rider skill, nor is the bike they ride, nor their licence status. You can do everything perfectly and still be involved in a crash. At the end of the day, if you're not prepared to risk a crash you shouldn't be riding. Never think "I'm too good/too careful/too well-equipped to crash". It happens. And if it hasn't happened yet, don't get complacent or arrogant - you've only been lucky!

Back to my point, I've been riding (commuting and social, in the UK) for several years now. I do about 30 miles a day, every day, all year. The vast brunt of it on a PCX125, but some of a range of bikes. I also work in physiotherapy, so I see a lot of motorcycle accident reports and injuries. You're right about that already - don't read accident reports, nothing good will come of it. You're not reading facts, you're reading someone's version of events. It's unreliable and you can't take anything away from it.

I've crashed 5 times in total (I think), all different scenarios, but I've learned something from each time and it hasn't deterred me from riding at all. In fact, it's quite the opposite - I'm determined to keep improving (my riding skill, my decision-making, and my contingency planning). I have sustained bad injuries - fractures, dislocations, muscle tears, concussion, and I have had titanium plates and screws put in my shoulder and clavicle.

-With regard to adverse weather, always trust your instincts and never overrule it with advice from car-drivers, weather reports or pedestrians. If you have an inclination that the weather is unsuitable - don't ride. Only ever take advice from other motorcycle riders who have been through those exact conditions i.e. same day, same time, same roads. I would have avoided one crash if I had followed this rule.

-Never assume a car driver will do what they're telling you they'll do - they can be dipping their lights, waving you across a road, indicating .etc. it doesn't matter. Only go into the gap when you know 100% you can get out of it if they do the opposite of what they're telling you. In my case, I had a van driver in traffic wave me across the gap in front of him, only to accelerate straight into me and cause terminal damage to my scooter. These days, I only turn across the path of traffic if they are completely stationary and I'm satisfied they literally couldn't hit me even if they tried. Be paranoid! Very rarely car-drivers basically will show such a blatant disregard for your safety that they are essentially guilty of homicidal behaviour.

-Film everything! I've been hit and had car drivers & their insurers claim it never happened. If you're the only one with significant damage, and no reliable witnesses (mine gave all details and then wouldn't return any contact), expect to have a fight on your hands to prove it ever happened. I now ride with a shoulder-mounted GoPro at all times. It could have saved me thousands of pounds in insurance fees if I'd had it earlier.

-Watch motorcyle racing. It always astounds me how few riders actually watch racing. It's like a park footballer not watching the world cup. You will pick up so many tips and helpful bits to improve your skill and your outlook. I'm a Jorge Lorenzo fan and watching him has given me an ultra-smooth riding style all about momentum and balance, it's given me the two-finger breaking technique (four fingers seems ridiculous now), and when I broke my leg & shattered my clavicle & dislocated my shoulder, I was so much more knowledgeable about the injury, the surgery, how to best recuperate & minimise recovery time, I knew how it would affect me, and it gave me inspiration and morale. In short, watching motorsport has made me a far better and more confident rider.

-Buy a premium brand helmet. When you're riding frequently it becomes about the most important thing in the world to you, and I echo what the others have said. You might get some funny comments made, but the tarmac doesn't care what you used to be sitting on when you're about to hit it.

..and, by the way, with regard to the PCX: it's fantastic. You couldn't have a more forgiving, more capable (pound-for-pound) ride! I hope there's something helpful for you here :)
Thankyou. Some great advice in among there. After a couple more weeks riding I have gained a little confidence and echo what you say about car drivers. I had one waving me out to do a right turn through traffic and they failed to realise a lot of traffic was coming. I could see this though so refused to pass through.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gagazman wrote:
artiglieri wrote:Hi, I saw this site & thread by chance and thought I might have some advice valuable to others.

Thankyou. Some great advice in among there. After a couple more weeks riding I have gained a little confidence and echo what you say about car drivers. I had one waving me out to do a right turn through traffic and they failed to realise a lot of traffic was coming. I could see this though so refused to pass through.

Haven't you forgotten something...?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (151.12 KiB) Viewed 673 times