Shuddering, Juttering, jerky starts.. Quick Fix ??

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Shuddering, Juttering, jerky starts.. Quick Fix ??

Post by easyrider »

Seems to happen mostly on a cold start but noticed it occasionally when coming off high speed deceleration at low point rpms.. If this happens to you, this worked for me. I used brake cleaner on belt, clutch , cleaned rollers, and all belt face plates of variator and clutch. Used some fine sandpaper /emery cloth and slightly roughened up the face plates and all belt driven surfaces. Did not have to disassemble clutch. Note :just sprayed into under openings liberally with a small straw. You cant imagine how much dirt was inside. Anyway worked for me and an easy fix .Thought I would share it. I also thought it could be the clutch shoes perhaps glazed , but only spray cleaned them to see as an experiment. In my case this fix worked fine without disassembly of the clutch. I tend to think that this issue may also be related to temperature, dirt, and climatic conditions ie humidity etc.
MiddleRiverPCX
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: Shuddering, Juttering, jerky starts.. Quick Fix ??

Post by MiddleRiverPCX »

My 2013 PCX150 shudders on start. Not a whole lot, and mostly on the first start of the day. I suspect dirt built up in the clutch. I'll take the cover off sometime soon, and clean it out, or at least take a look. I CAN imagine how much dirt would collect in that housing, belt material and brake lining is kind of trapped.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Shuddering, Juttering, jerky starts.. Quick Fix ??

Post by homie »

I felt this once lately for the first time under a load (spouse on board). Backed off the throttle a little and ask her to lose a couple... JK

Might be getting close to an inspection for some of us concerning minor, occasional shuddering. If its constant... GET IN THERE and stop speculating.