Place Seems Dead

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

tuanies
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Place Seems Dead

Post by tuanies »

I took the PCX on the highway and did 65mph drafting. As long as there's traffic and a fairly flat surface it's not too bad. I'd consider an NC700x if it weren't so expensive. I wish there was a 300cc in-between I could get.

I might sell it since I barely have time to ride it and just focus on the cars >_<

On a side note - I interviewed Ken Block yesterday. Really nice guy.

Ken Block by tuanies, on Flickr
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

tuanies wrote:On a side note - I interviewed Ken Block yesterday. Really nice guy.
Never heard of him, does he do NASCAR or something?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Is he sponsored by Monster?
tuanies
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tuanies »

He's a rally racer, co-founder of DC Shoes and star of the Gymkhana video series
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

Errrrrrrr?
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

Anyone who likes rallying knows Ken Block. His Gymkhana videos are quite popular over the net. He even participated in the WRC, although with not much success. To me, it looks like he's able to do quite spectacular and enjoyable things on those Gymkhana vids, but after all, that is something you can practice, and practice, and practice again, then you shoot the video. In real rally life, you're on the track going sideways at +120 mph with your copilot giving you instructions and you have to deal with the unexpected. It's kind of different and it often takes you off the track and into the ditch.

Rallying, after all, doesn't seem to be as popular in America as it is in the Old Continent. It's been a sport which has been traditionally dominated by European drivers (particularly the Scandinavians and Finns), but that has seen better times too, due to the global financial crisis. The regulations regarding the car's specifications have changed and both the engines and the cars have been downsized, and as a result, it's no longer as spectacular as it used to be.

I remember the good old times when you had six to eight drivers that could win a rally. Names likes Mäkinen, Kankkunen, Auriol, Delecour, Sainz, Liatti, Panizzi, and the sadly lost Burns and McRae will never be forgotten.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Cascanciu wrote:Anyone who likes rallying knows Ken Block.
I like rallying but have never heard of him.
Cascanciu wrote:He even participated in the WRC, although with not much success.
That will explain why I've never heard of him
Cascanciu wrote:The regulations regarding the car's specifications have changed and both the engines and the cars have been downsized, and as a result, it's no longer as spectacular as it used to be.
Much safer for the spectators though.
Cascanciu wrote:I remember the good old times when you had six to eight drivers that could win a rally. Names likes Mäkinen, Kankkunen, Auriol, Delecour, Sainz, Liatti, Panizzi, and the sadly lost Burns and McRae will never be forgotten.
You forgot Stig Blomquist and Ari Vatanen...?
Those times will return once the utterly amazing Sebastian Loeb retires.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

The madness of the Group B cars is both a highlight on speed/skill of the drivers vs. the tragedy of several deaths (drivers and spectators). Still think the Peugeot movie Climb Dance of Ari Vatanen going up Pikes Peak Hill (when it was still gravel) in his 405 T16 is brilliant. A great spectator sport.

Did get to meet Richard Burns in London just after he won the championship in 2001. Chilled out guy taking media for a spin around Marble Arch.
Attachments
010-13---burns.jpg
010-13---burns.jpg (157.56 KiB) Viewed 1149 times
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Place Seems Dead

Post by Alibally »

No doubting Ken Blocks car control but I think he lacks the Big bollocks of the truly great rally drivers such as Walter Rohrl , etc etc.
If you watch some of the old group B stuff on YouTube you will see why.
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

I was, actually, speaking of the post-Group B era. I was a child when Vatanen and Blomqvist raced, but if you throw them in, then you can't forget to throw Mouton, Biasion, Mikkola, Röhrl, and the sadly lost Henri Toivonen as well ;) .

What's happening with Loeb is quite similar to what happened in F-1 during the Schumacher era. There's just nobody at his level. During those years I mentioned, you had a group of drivers at a very similar level, and you couldn't tell who was gonna win. There were epic battles and now it's become boring. I disagree that it is any safer for the spectators just because the cars are slower and their technology has been simplified (no more active diffs, for example). It is the public's responsibility to place themselves within the authorized areas. Stay where you're supposed to, use your common sense, and you should be OK, regardless of how fast and spectacular the cars are.

Someone said Ari Vatanen and Pikes Peak?. Then, hold fast :lol: .

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Cascanciu wrote:What's happening with Loeb is quite similar to what happened in F-1 during the Schumacher era
I don't think it is.
Schumacher in his heyday had a massive advantage by being supplied with the best cars, tyres and unlimited testing on a private track, facilities which just were not available to any other driver at the time.
Loeb drives machinery which is the same as that which is available to others.
It is my suggestion that Loeb is a much better rally driver than Schumacher was an F1 driver.
Put Loeb in an F1 car and it wouldn't take him long to be up there competing with the best of them.
Put Schumacher in a rally car and he would be nowhere.
In my opinion Loeb is head and shoulders above Schumacher.
tuanies
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tuanies »

Welp, back at home. Ken Block won the Olympus Rally, but David Higgens for Subaru Rally Team USA won the season.

Here's a couple shots, the rest are on flickr

Olympus Rally 2012 by tuanies, on Flickr

Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

Nice pics, thank you. Have you got tarmac rallyes in the US or is it just on gravel?. I like both, in fact, but prefer the tarmac provided that there are powerful cars on the road. You know, we all want to see some sideways action :lol: .
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

We have all sorts of rallyes here. :lol: I'm sure if you can think of it, someone is racing it somewhere in the USA. We even have lawnmower races (well, at least we do in Georgia :lol: ).

Ken Block is amazing. Put on some headphones so you can hear how he thrashes this poor car (its just bouncing off the limiter), then watch this:

Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

Ho Lee Shiznit!
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

I have Ken Block DC trainers. Want his car.

Also, sorry ive been away a while, just been busy.
ImageImage ImageImage Image