changing footpegs

Cosmetic accessories, comfort accessories, windshields, luggage racks, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

marc1973
Year: 2019 125cc
Color: grey

changing footpegs

Post by marc1973 »

I am thinking about getting soon black foot pegs can any one give me instructions on how to remove and install new pegs please
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: changing footpegs

Post by Mel46 »

Are you talking about the back passenger foot pegs? I replaced the passenger foot pegs on my 2013 pcx. I don't know if they are the same as those on the 2015 pcx. On mine there is a pin that runs through it, with a cotter pin holding the pin in place. under the peg there is a spring and a ball bearing within a hole in the peg itself. You have to be careful of those when you take the peg off. The spring goes in the hole first, followed by the ball bearing. Once the pin is out, slide the foot peg slowlytoward the outside. I used a screw driver to bump it so that the ball bearing will come out of the little hole it slides into on the frame. Be careful. The bearing and spring will come out the bottom. To reinstall it, put some scotch tape over the hole in the peg, with the spring and ball bearing already installed. That will help to keep them in place while you work on installing the peg. Hopefully this is what you wanted to know.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Hmm, was just wondering about this. What needs to be removed to get to said pin bodywork wise?
Thanks in advance
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

There are two panels that must come off before you attempt to get the foot peg off. However, to get those off you may have to take other panels off. The bottom panel is easy enough and does not require removal of other panels first. The floor step, though, requires that you take other parts off that interconnect with it, so be careful with it. From what I remember, you have to start in the rear of the bike and work your way forward. That means taking the side covers, the seat and storage off also. Since the Right and left front covers are interconnected to the floor step, you will have to work to get that disconnected without breaking anything. Make sure you take the center cover off too. That is the ne with the fuel door. It is easier to remove it with the door open. Take your time, and keep up with your screws (I have 5 or 6 of those magnetic bowls that I separate the screws in). Once you have torn down the bike a few times you will become more confident. In the end though, you will have to take most of the bike apart to get to those back steps.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Luster Re

Post by Rickjds »

Sorry to hijack this thread, but do you have to take off the seat and side panels just to take off the center panel?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Center Panel? Are you talking about the center panel that contains the gas cap flap? To take that one off you have to take the seat itself off, which is easy enough since it only has 2 bolts.
(I take that panel off almost all the time. It has wiring for my accessory outlet, and now it also has a switch that can either turn on the strobe lights on the bike or the daylight running lights that I just added.)

If that isn't the panel you mean, please elaborate.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Rickjds »

That is the panel. I have a 2017, and there are four bolts/nuts holding the seat down that connect the S clip as someone had mentioned that clip in another thread. I removed those nuts and the 8 mm srcrew at the top of the panel closest to the seat, took the seat off and tried a pry trim removal tool. Couldn't get the cover out. Am I missing more bolts holding the seat or panel down?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I just looked at a parts breakdown for the 2016, which I think is just like the 2017. It shows two extra nut springs that are not on the earlier models. Those are used exclusively to hold screws, so there must be a screw on each side that connects that panel to the side panels. THIS is why you need a service manual with a parts breakdown for that year. That may mean that you will also have to take the storage bin out in order to get to them. That sucks. Once you do that you may as well adjust your valves!

http://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/201 ... #sch939855
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Rickjds »

Thanks, still waiting for the repair manual,to come in.
romnation
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Post by romnation »

Can anyone provide some pictures or video of this process? I would be forever greatful. Trying to do this myself as well. I have the service manual, but it doesn't seem to cover replacing the pillion pegs at all. I am familiar with removing the plastic panels, but I'm still a bit confused on what all needs to be done to the pegs removed and the new ones installed themselves. Are you saying the thing is spring loaded and is going to fly up on me? Or that its easy to lose some of the parts if you aren't careful?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Simply stated, Yes to both questions. If you move the pegs back and forth you will notice how it reaches a point going backward in which a spring seems to take over and it just rolls backward into the stored position. That is the ball bearing and spring in action.

Just be aware of it when you start to take it apart. When I took mine apart I had to chase down both the spring (the size of one used in a ball point pen) and the little ball bearing. If you are aware of them and work slowly you can capture the ball bearing and spring before they pop out of the hole.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Great tip Mel 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Spaguar
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018 Forza 125
Color: Silver/Pacific

Post by Spaguar »

Hey Mel,
I like your new avatar. You lost some weight?
Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
ImageImageImage