Unused connector

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Luster Re

Unused connector

Post by Rickjds »

I noticed this unused connector right next to the negative battery cable but was not hooked up to the battery. Anyone know what this is for?
Attachments
IMG_3065.JPG
IMG_3065.JPG (71.91 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
IMG_3064.JPG
IMG_3064.JPG (90.87 KiB) Viewed 4436 times
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Unused connector

Post by Bash On! »

Looks like it might be a data link connector for using OBD.

Check out the wiring diagram here, and see if it matches the wire colors:
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=771
Last edited by Bash On! on Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

That is the diagnostic plug. You can plug a computer into it, or there is a special jumper you can get that will trigger the display on the dash to show any active error codes.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

LOL.. I don't think so, but I wish they would allow for user interface with full diagnostic software.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

homie wrote:LOL.. I don't think so, but I wish they would allow for user interface with full diagnostic software.
If it was a standard OBDII port like in cars, you could connect an ELM327 or similar dongle and bluetooth that information to your smartphone for full realtime display of all information.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

homie wrote:LOL.. I don't think so, but I wish they would allow for user interface with full diagnostic software.
I've used that very plug with full diagnostic software on my own PCX. It was a third party diagnostic suite, but Honda has their own as well. As for the Jumper, the manual lists it as SCS device connector. See pic.

The jumper causes a light on the dash to blink in a pattern, which corresponds to a code. It's a little obtuse, but it works.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (53.13 KiB) Viewed 4388 times
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

chicaboo wrote:
If it was a standard OBDII port like in cars, you could connect an ELM327 or similar dongle and bluetooth that information to your smartphone for full realtime display of all information.
It is not a true standard OBDII implementatation, as ghatvus not required for bikes. However it is a full diagnostic port which can be used with a scantool.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

Oyabun wrote:
chicaboo wrote:
It is not a true standard OBDII implementatation, as ghatvus not required for bikes. However it is a full diagnostic port which can be used with a scantool.

You just need the right tool.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Ah yes.... the little jumper that gives you a morse code like sequence for general diagnosis on the road. These are small, handy and very portable. I keep one on board, so where do you get one for the Honda?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I thought the ECU gave the codes on the dash whether the device is plugged in or not? Some people report problems with their bikes and the dash light flashing short / long flashes. So, this port is needed for general 'mil code alerting'?
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

iceman wrote:I thought the ECU gave the codes on the dash whether the device is plugged in or not? Some people report problems with their bikes and the dash light flashing short / long flashes. So, this port is needed for general 'mil code alerting'?
The dash light signals general fault, but the mil code is blinked by the diagnostics sequence initiated by the plug. It also enables clearing the codes.
A Scantool has more diagnostic possibilities though - so one can monitor all kinds of parameters measured and provided by the ecu, not just the fault codes.
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

homie wrote:Ah yes.... the little jumper that gives you a morse code like sequence for general diagnosis on the road. These are small, handy and very portable. I keep one on board, so where do you get one for the Honda?
Yep, that's the one. Punch in that part number and you can get one off partzilla.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/h ... oCOC3w_wcB

As far as the software goes and computer cable goes, they had it at the school I attended. I don't remember who made it, but I can probably find out.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

homie wrote:Ah yes.... the little jumper that gives you a morse code like sequence for general diagnosis on the road. These are small, handy and very portable. I keep one on board, so where do you get one for the Honda?
A paperclip from the stationary cupboard?
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

honkerman wrote:
Yep, that's the one. Punch in that part number and you can get one off partzilla.

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/h ... oCOC3w_wcB

As far as the software goes and computer cable goes, they had it at the school I attended. I don't remember who made it, but I can probably find out.
Excellent Honky! I will take that, yes please go find us the program and we shall see what kind of sensors are install on the Precious 8) I know you can make your own jumper but you need the codes. WOOT... I love stats, details and decoder spy stuff :lol:

Wait I don't have a 2016/17 PCX and there is no unused connector or a half dosen cool sensors monitoring the Precious :x
boooooooooooooooo never mind :oops:
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

I can tell you right now, it doesn't have a tip-over sensor.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

honkerman wrote:Yep, that's the one. Punch in that part number and you can get one off partzilla. http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/h ... oCOC3w_wcB
Not sure if that's just a wire, resistor or diode wrapped up in a candy shell :)
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

iceman wrote:
honkerman wrote:Yep, that's the one. Punch in that part number and you can get one off partzilla. http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detail/h ... oCOC3w_wcB
Not sure if that's just a wire, resistor or diode wrapped up in a candy shell :)
Just a wire. Lol.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube