i think cars are cheaper to use

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

eggman
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

i think cars are cheaper to use

Post by eggman »

ive had a few last to 300000 miles and only did general maintance my buddy just sold a chevy caviler with over 300000 ive already put money in my scooter and it don't even have 10k miles on it. I hope it last me to at least 50 k miles witn not much money
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Re: i think cars are cheaper to use

Post by relic »

Walking is even cheaper!
You pay your money and take your chances on how things unfold.
experience is not always cheap but sometimes can be fun.
eggman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by eggman »

ive walked for like 15 years or rode a cheap bike.
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by relic »

Well I guess you are due for some good luck.
If I could would send you some.
eggman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by eggman »

ty I'm very grateful for the pcx. walking to my dr sucked it was so far. grocery store was only a few miles . but riding is still better
Rick54
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Rick54 »

Well, I have to agree that no education is free! I also am wondering, and perhaps a consensus of the folks on this forum can give me an idea as to their feelings in regards to the PCX being a high maintenance machine in terms of dollars?
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

If you have the man do ALL the suggested maintenance, the PCX can be quite an expensive proposition. Add another insurance bill, and you need to ride a lot of miles to break even.

But the fun of riding a PCX is quite the reward, and easily worth it for me.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I do most of my own maintenance on our bikes, and they turn out to eat quite inexpensive as apposed to car maintenance. Yes, a car may last 300,000 miles but that is not the norm.
My SUV was 12 years old and only had 87,000 miles on it when it was totalled by a speeding loser who lived at home, worked part time, and had his mother buy him his cars...that he would promptly wreck. How long does a car last that is abused?
How long does a car last that is put together Cheaply? How long does a car last that has not had proper maintenance? I know of people who are driving Honda cars that have high miles on them. I also know people who have destroyed every car they have gotten their hands on. It all depends on how you take care of them, and that includes your pcx.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Rick54
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Rick54 »

I guess I should re-qualify my question in regards to $$, as time is worth something also. Mel, you do a lot of your own work, so your time is worth something also.
I remember what seems like a hundred years ago, when snow mobiles were new and in their infancy, everyone was getting one. They'd spend the weekends riding them, and the next week fixing them. Seemed like for every 8 hours of riding frustration, you'd spend 12 hours fixing them.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

You think cars are cheaper to use than a PCX...?
Simple answer: you're dead wrong.

Complex answer:
Cheapest car available in the UK, Dacia Sandero, cost £6000
New PCX costs £2700
So the PCX has a £3300 head start and that's before you even look at the running costs and the fact that the car will use roughly three times as much fuel.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

gn2 wrote:You think cars are cheaper to use than a PCX...?
Simple answer: you're dead wrong.

Complex answer:
Cheapest car available in the UK, Dacia Sandero, cost £6000
New PCX costs £2700
So the PCX has a £3300 head start and that's before you even look at the running costs and the fact that the car will use roughly three times as much fuel.
Apples and oranges.. cannot compare... two different concepts.. Best for cheap is a bicycle or even a pair of Reeboks.
riding@100mpg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Re:cars verses scooters

Post by riding@100mpg »

i've had scooters and motorcycles for years. they are a little cheaper to run considering gas mileage and insurance but not that much. on the other side,if you enjoy your pcx like i do mine, you can not put a price on that. people spend a lot of money on fun things. some even buy airplanes and very expensive boats just to drive on sundays so have fun and don,t worry so much about the cost
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

easyrider wrote:Apples and oranges.. cannot compare... two different concepts..
Rubbish.
Its the cost of ownership we're comparing, not the vehicle itself.
(cost of oranges can be easily compared with the cost of apples)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

The maintenance I do on the bikes is actually fun because it gives me the satisfaction of accomplishment when it is completed. When I add new things to the bike I get to see my ideas become a reality. Satisfaction in an accomplishment is priceless.
Yes, there are times when the bike can be frustrating, but that is no different than the frustration of owning a car.
I think it still comes down to how you take care of your investment...and it is an investment. When you finally decided to sell either the car or the bike you have to subtract the fun you had from the cost of the vehicle initially to determine a value. You don't expect to get all of your investment back, so what was your fun worth?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

i think cars are cheaper to use....
only if it's your parent's vehicle you're driving! :lol:
Wait a minute, you just Might be responsible for adding (all) fluids, and fixing damage if you're the one at fault.
:roll: Thou, most parents today are too forgiving. My parents were too strict. I never got to drive any of my Father's cars. That was unheard of (by him).
That's the other extreme folks. Find a middle.

eggman, truth....Cars are Not cheaper to own, maintain and "Use"
Praise your Scoot! :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

In high school, I blew up the engine in my mom's brand-new Jaguar. The main bearing went. I was only doing 110 mph. Should have been able to do that speed all day.

Oops.

Luckily, it was covered under warranty, or I'd still be paying for it out of my allowance.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by relic »

Remember my dad telling me when I was learning to operate heavy trucks-dumpers-that a new driver would cost about $10000 in repairs and wages- mostly repairs- while learning- 1970's dollars.
Must have hit that number cause one day he tells me the truck is now in my name and I get to pay the bills.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Since I didn't really have any parents, I did not learn to drive until I was in the military. If you break a military vehicle you will be called in front of the head of the motor pool, and you had better have a good excuse or you will find yourself in deep sh#t. hen I could finally afford a car, I bought a motorcycle instead...a Harley. I had never ridden one before, but I as willing to learn and the guy selling it as willing to teach me. It was fun, until winter. Winters in West Texas are very cold, and very windy. There are no trees or hills to stop the wind, so when the snow started blowing, I had to walk. That really did kill the fun I had been having on the bike.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by relic »

Since we wandered a bit of topic Mel
your story reminds me of leaving high school. When I said I didn't want to you use a pencil anymore they gave me a chainsaw and said don't break it and don't come to us saying you hurt yourself.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

My PCX cost £2700 May '14 - ridden every week day since then all weathers. Insurance is now £100 3rd party only (I ride safe and figure I save money on fully comp which would be higher premiums if an accident happens, excess, etc, so better off in the long run and they would not pay full cost anyway), road tax £17/yr, maintenance - so far oil and just oil - still on original air filter, plug, etc (had coolant leak checked at garage, £35 all in for whatever they did) - gear costs say £200 for 4* rated helmet and protective jacket, gloves and trousers. Bike still rides like a charm giving some of the best mpg of any PCX.

Just changed oil again in engine and final drive - will need to change filter, plug, belt, rollers soon but all of that can be had £45 shipped as one lot, plus final drive bearings for around £70 (UK price) and rear tyre (still on original IRC which seems to have lots of life left in it!) So, around £3500 over 3-4 years for bike, gear, service (do myself) and insurance/tax all added in and bike still worth well over a £1000 to sell. Will need to have the MOT done in May next year so say £40-100 if parts are needed. I'm on a CBT which is £79 for 2yr's or can take the A1 for £127 one off. For commuting, the PCX is cheaper than a car if you do the service yourself and ride carefully.

Compared to £1600/yr using underground tube, and being so much more convenient and fun than using that or a car in heavy traffic (allowed to filter in the UK) - the pcx was the best decision ever and cheaper than my old Ford car was to run/yr (insurance was around £200-300 even with 19yr's no claims!), MOT (average £250 with some work), fuel (30mpg's!!!), stuck in traffic for ages :(