split my tail :(

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

split my tail :(

Post by Cracksta »

Pissed off today, went to start fitting my new top box, had troubles getting the tail off, on youtube it looked so easy, managed to split the tail and its now cracked.

Could live with it but been playing on my mind all day, luckly there was a new one on ebay so just bought that so will drill the holes on that one instead.

Just wanted to vent my frustration :x

TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: split my tail :(

Post by TC3 »

Just hate when stuff like that happens. Least you found one straight away.
figurehead71
Regular User
Regular User

Post by figurehead71 »

I am surprised the tail plastic is that weak. Will be fitting a top box to mine within the next month or two.

I guess there are certain sections of the tail that have clips on that you have to be careful with. I most certainly wouldn't have been pleased myself if this had happened to my bike...that's some bad luck, but glad you have a replacement sorted quickly.
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

TBH, i was pulling it hard, i didnt know where the tabs were (manual would of helped :( )

so to learn from me, there are 2 tabs on each side, you'll need something to pry them off.

In the youtube vid, cant remember who it was but it was a silver one, his tail in the middle split too lol

take your time!
figurehead71
Regular User
Regular User

Post by figurehead71 »

Thanks for the warning, sorry however you have been a "guinea pig" to the alerted advice!
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

were you using the proper plastic removing tools?? Fingers are too big and bulky for the job...
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

no, i was doing it with bare hands :(

dont have any plastic removing tools, never used or needed them (in this case could of done with it).

either way, its a lesson learned, luckly not that expensive but annoying!
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

Never mind. It happened to me as well. My crack is located on the other side and slightly forward than yours. A bit of super glue fixed it and you have to know it's there to notice it.

Shit happens.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Now I'm worried...
happyscooter
Regular User
Regular User

Post by happyscooter »

That sux man but hey your name is "cracksta" lol
jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jasontheparamedic »

If you are in the USA then these people have a low price panel to replace the cracked one.

The downside is they are not the fastest in the world.

http://www.powersportsplus.com/
super_g

Post by super_g »

I had a similar issue, not realizing there were clips. I used a small flat head screw driver to push the clips and it worked really nicely.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Cracksta, we're all in the same boat here...hit or miss with the plastics. Sorry about your miss, it would make me :x too. Upside of this? You can do a practice "drill" run on the cracker and be a pro on the newbie :D
I've had several panels off my scoot the past few weeks including "this" one. I took some underside pictures of them for my future reference. Sharing this now for anyone wanting to see the grab rails's underside.
Good luck with the new panel and install!
Attachments
underside of  Grab Rail.JPG
underside of Grab Rail.JPG (38.87 KiB) Viewed 2111 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

cheers whitenoise!

I'm going to drill the new one before installing, the old one i'll sell it on as i'm sure people will want the tail or handy in repairing plastic.

Just unfortunate really, also i've only had the bike 3 weeks and already i'm getting scratches and marks on the side, espcially on the side stand side, i think its because where i park, all the bikes are bunched up together.
Keebler Dwarf

Post by Keebler Dwarf »

There must be something wrong with that bit, my repair shop made the same break in almost the same place at my last servicing.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

There's a clip in the back-center, and 2 in the front. I undo the two screws, lift to pop the back clip, then push forwards and up in order to get the piece off. I've taken mine off several times with no tools, just BE GENTLE -- you don't need a lot of force. You just need some force in the right direction. If pushing one way gently doesn't work, try another. Repeat until the clip pops. :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

Cracksta wrote:Pissed off today, went to start fitting my new top box, had troubles getting the tail off, on youtube it looked so easy, managed to split the tail and its now cracked.

Could live with it but been playing on my mind all day, luckly there was a new one on ebay so just bought that so will drill the holes on that one instead.

Hi, just went thru replacing multiple panels on my PCX. I can now tell you how to 'officially per the manual' remove that panel.

It is done completely by hand.
1. Remove the two machine screws toward the to rear of the panel.
2. Standing on one side or the other of the bike, firmly press with both palms on the top opposite front side of the panel, pushing firm and slow outward and rolling the panel slightly over until the snap clip pops out. Repeat for the other side. Don't over push.
3. Grab the panel from under and lift to the rear to pop out the clip in the back.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Cracksta....come back. How's about an update? How's it going for ya?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

C-Note wrote:
Cracksta wrote:Pissed off today, went to start fitting my new top box, had troubles getting the tail off, on youtube it looked so easy, managed to split the tail and its now cracked.

Hi, just went thru replacing multiple panels on my PCX. I can now tell you how to 'officially per the manual' remove that panel.

It is done completely by hand, and one of the simplest to remove.
2. Standing on one side or the other of the bike, firmly press with both palms on the top opposite front side of the panel, pushing firm and slow outward and rolling the panel slightly over until the snap clip pops out. Repeat for the other side. Don't over push.
3. Grab the panel from under and lift to the rear to pop out the clip in the back.
FYI, beneath the cover is the actual handrail. It's a cast steel part. You'll see four (4) bosses toward the rear of the handrail. That's where you bolt in your box, and why you have to cut holes in the rail cover itself. No biggie, but using a drill would be very tricky. You'll likely need a Dremel tool to cut the openings.

I had my box installed by a dealer and when I took my bike apart to replace the panels I had to disassemble that part as well to get the rear sides off. I was able to see what they had to do to get that box on, and it was fairly elaborate to my surprise.
C-Note
Regular User
Regular User

Post by C-Note »

C-Note wrote:
C-Note wrote:

It is done completely by hand, and one of the simplest to remove.
FYI, beneath the cover is the actual handrail. It's a cast steel part. You'll see four (4) bosses toward the rear of the handrail. That's where you bolt in your box, and why you have to cut holes in the rail cover itself. No biggie, but using a drill would be very tricky. You'll likely need a Dremel tool to cut the openings.

I had my box installed by a dealer and when I took my bike apart to replace the panels I had to disassemble that part as well to get the rear sides off. I was able to see what they had to do to get that box on, and it was fairly elaborate to my surprise.
Btw, to replace the cracked cover part it'll cost around $12 USD, go here to buy: http://www.powersportsplus.com/parts/se ... parts.html