New eSP on 125 top speed increase over older models?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

figurehead71
Regular User
Regular User

New eSP on 125 top speed increase over older models?

Post by figurehead71 »

Not sure how many users on here have the PCX 125 eSP engine.

So I took my new Red PCX 125 out for it's first lengthy ride to my parents house and back 110 mile round trip, partly to go and spend some time with them, partly to get the bike "bedding in".

I was surprised that with my lard ass (5' 10" 240lbs) that I was able to max out on a dual carriageway at 67mph, admittedly I had a tail wind and a 1/3rd mile straight stretch with a slight decline.

Starting to gain in confidence on it, really loving the handling, the grip in wet (few rain showers on the way back) the smooth acceleration..and for the most part the agility to keep with the flow of traffic.

Would be interested knowing what speeds others smaller/lighter are getting out of the new 125 eSP engines.
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Re: New eSP on 125 top speed increase over older models?

Post by EddieC »

where are you located? Wondering if your MPH is US or other MPH. You should put that info in your profile :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

67 on the speedo?
If so that's the same as the previous model.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
figurehead71
Regular User
Regular User

Post by figurehead71 »

EddieC wrote:where are you located? Wondering if your MPH is US or other MPH. You should put that info in your profile :lol:
UK.....I guess I should.
figurehead71
Regular User
Regular User

Post by figurehead71 »

gn2 wrote:67 on the speedo?
If so that's the same as the previous model.
Surely for lighter riders? My lard ass and having the underseat storage full I was surprised. If 67 was the max for the previous model then with my weight I would have expected less.
Cracksta
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cracksta »

not sure if its true but the eSP engines have a slightly higher rev limit hence bit more top speed.

If shame they dont come in white as standard, only red for now
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I used to see 67 easily enough and I'm taller than you and have the aerodynamic qualities of a brick outhouse.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
figurehead71
Regular User
Regular User

Post by figurehead71 »

Cracksta wrote:not sure if its true but the eSP engines have a slightly higher rev limit hence bit more top speed.

If shame they dont come in white as standard, only red for now
Out of the 4 different colours it came down to the choice between the white or the red, both the wife and myself liked the red and with it having an improved fuel economy as well.

So, if it does have a slightly higher rev and top speed I would be expecting someone smaller and lighter to be able to push 70+ out of it.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I've got a red ESP 125 and it flies along (relatively) and I'm six five and 95kgs. I started a similar post a while back and got the same response from the same person :|
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

check it with a GPS. as i believe to be typical, my speedo indicates about 10% faster than the actual speed as shown by a GPS navi unit which tend to be very accurate, so that would mean you are actually topping out at around 60MPH if that is also true with your speedo.
PCX-rider
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX-rider »

figurehead71 wrote:Not sure how many users on here have the PCX 125 eSP engine.

Would be interested knowing what speeds others smaller/lighter are getting out of the new 125 eSP engines.
I am 174 cm and 73 kg. My top speed "so far" is 110 km/t, about 68 miles. I have an 2012 125 eSP..... :ugeek:
ItsaHonda
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ItsaHonda »

Wow, you guys are getting 67 indicated on the non esp 125s!? I took mine out on a long stretch and decided to open it all the way up to see what it would do... and it didn't get past 55 indicated wide open for a good mile and a half. It was a bit windy (about 15-20 mph gusts) and I've only got a bit over 200 miles on it, so it may open up a bit more after it's fully broken in (?). I wasn't going to try it again as I don't like to run it that hard with so few miles... the little 125 is really working it's heart out and I need the thing to last me a loong time. I'm about 5'11 and 215 lbs.

I thought the red ones were supposed to be faster? ;)
Alex
2011 Suzuki Burgman 650
2011 Honda PCX 125
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

you'll probably find that it runs better and faster as the engine breaks in and loosens up. please let us know. both PCX engines have more than enough power to hit 100kph or 60mph but are somehow restricted to roughly those speeds. therefore, the bike can get there quite easily even with a heavy rider.

as i said before, the speedos tend to not be completely accurate and tend to err on the high side. therefore, speeds that are reported by only using the stock speedo should not be taken as the actual speed. i had mine up to 108kph today at the limiter, but i know from running a GPS/navi that the stock speedo indicates about 10% faster than the actual speed on mine.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Yep my original model 125 gets to 67 indicated and I am comfortable behind my tall Ermax +25 screen. Speedo is supposedly 8% overreading according to other posts but since I didnt buy the PCX for speed I havent bothered checking against a GPS.
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

I’ve been told Honda calibrates speedos to be 8% optimistic everywhere except in the US where they are calibrated spot on.

It is pointless to compare top speeds if we are using different speedo calibrations. You fellas on the other side of the pond just THINK you’re going faster than us.
ItsaHonda
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ItsaHonda »

My Burgam reads about 8-10% optimistic and it was my understanding that pretty much all motorcycle/scooter speedometers do... though my PCXs speedo does seem pretty accurate.
Alex
2011 Suzuki Burgman 650
2011 Honda PCX 125
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Urbanian wrote:I’ve been told Honda calibrates speedos to be 8% optimistic everywhere except in the US where they are calibrated spot on.

It is pointless to compare top speeds if we are using different speedo calibrations. You fellas on the other side of the pond just THINK you’re going faster than us.
This is exactly it.

For a long time, I was compiling top speeds here. You'll notice that all the UK scooters top out at 66-67 indicated, 60gps, whereas the US scooters top out at 59-63 indicated, 60gps.

There is not a speed increase from the eSP model, but there is a MPG boost of 5-10%.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes