Braking & Breaking

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

RedBaron

Braking & Breaking

Post by RedBaron »

Happy new year

2017 is going to be a good one.

What is the general consensus for braking with the combi brakes on the PCX? Do you still use both levers or just rely on the left lever unless you need to stop ASAP.

Does the system equalize the front brake if you pull both levers or will it just apply too much and potentially lock up?

Breaking in. Am I incorrect that no flying starts and no full open throttle for first 600 miles and no harsh deleceration is the safest way to go. Just keep it smooth and varied.

Really cannot wait to get mine. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks
doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: WHITE

Re: Braking & Breaking

Post by doletotodole »

My personal experience to share:

both brake levers, very strong potential to lock up. I nearly keeled over this way at speed of only 20MPH...
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Apply gentle and increasing pressure on the rear 1st (unless going very slow to start with) and then apply gentle but increasing pressure to the front too - it's very bad and dangerous practice to get used to using the front only or in the main as when you need to brake suddenly, or on slippery patches, you will instinctively grab the front lever and topple!
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

RedBaron wrote:Happy new year

Breaking in. Am I incorrect that no flying starts and no full open throttle for first 600 miles and no harsh deleceration is the safest way to go. Just keep it smooth and varied.

You are very INCORRECT on break in... What you state is a MYTH, old, outdated information that you have, that has been kept in the manuals by LAWYERS, not engineers. Many people have not figured out yet that lawyers have the final say of what goes into the manuals.... Read all the details here and see how the factories do it in the video:

http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr60QK0Hsvs

Mike
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

JetPilot wrote:

You are very INCORRECT on break in... What you state is a MYTH, old, outdated information that you have, that has been kept in the manuals by LAWYERS, not engineers. Many people have not figured out yet that lawyers have the final say of what goes into the manuals.... Read all the details here and see how the factories do it in the video:

Mike
Not again please.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The 600 mile mark is so the parts will seat. You will not get the full potential out of the engine until some time after that point. I think it is suggested that you not give it full throttle because of that. Quick take offs won't gain you much if it can't go as fast as you had hoped, which is what will be the result when it is new.
The old way of doing things was slow and easy but modern machines can handle break in much better than in the old days. On your first oil change it is expected that you will have fine metal particles in the screen. That is why it is important to get that first service done at or or shortly after 600 miles.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JetPilot »

Mel46 wrote: 1. I think it is suggested that you not give it full throttle because of that.

2. On your first oil change it is expected that you will have fine metal particles in the screen. That is why it is important to get that first service done at or or shortly after 600 miles.
1. The reason that is " suggested " is LAWYERS, not engineers. And lawyers do not care about your break in or how well your engine performs over its life.

2. CONFIRMED: The vast majority of metal particles are put in the oil in the first 50 miles, if you actually bothered to READ the article, you would change your oil at 50 miles. I tried this, and all the metal in my oil as at the 50 mile change, there was virtually NOTHING at 600 miles.

Its easy for some people to give bad advice, and talk without even bothering to read or look at the information. That is the LAST type of person that will ever give you good, accurate advice...

Mike
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I was told you are supposed to let the tyres bed in from new as they do not have as good grip straight off as when they have 'ruffed' up a bit. Perhaps another reason to go easy for the first 50 miles or so. I expect a 'wifes tale' or similar response but my dealer mentioned this to me when I collected the bike.
Go easy. no going easy - it's your bike, etc, but is there a good reason to go full throttle that often? The bike pulls away from other vehicles at lights quite well with moderate throttle and where commuting is concerned, which is where the bike is aimed, most towns have low 'max' speed limits on roads anyway.
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Red

Post by Chapel77 »

you you wrote:
JetPilot wrote:

Mike
Not again please.
And again, and again.

Providing a couple of links to youtube vidoes doesn't make for an expert opinion.

As with most reasonable people, take things easy to start with, learn the dynamics of a new scooter and allow some parts to bed in, including scrubbing off the releasing agent from the tyres.

Most importantly, enjoy your new scooter!!!
Living the Honda Dream!
rp150
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by rp150 »

I would like to agree with Iceman, use your left brake handle first, then use the right to come to your stop. After you do it a while, you'll get the hang of it. Breaking it in. Slow and easy is the best as you get to know your bike. Many accidents happen when were new riders and trying to do more then what we can handle. Enjoy your riding.
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JetPilot »

Chapel77 wrote: Providing a couple of links to youtube vidoes doesn't make for an expert opinion.
No it does not, but taking some time to do my research and actually LEARN about this makes me a lot more educated on this issue than you are. One thing is very obvious from these repsonses, people like Chapel77 have obviously not read or looked at the information, just posting based on NOTHING. Very typical for low performance people, post based on ignorance, and giving bad advice without do any research.

If you actually took a few minutes to watch the videos, then you would have to write all the motorcycle manufacturers and tell them that they are doing their testing and initial runs wrong...

Mike
Chapel77
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Red

Post by Chapel77 »

I'm not a low performance person, and I am not ignorant. Your tone and the use of capital letters to shout to make your limited point is both rude and shows a lack of manners.

Accept people have other views than yourself, and without the need to resort to insults to try to support your position.

In many of the threads I read on this forum, this seems to be your default way of posting, including trolling PCX threads slagging off the scooter, to support your purchase of a Forza.

There is a difference between healthly debate and just being plain rude, unfortunately you seem to fall into the latter group.

Don't bother to respond.
Living the Honda Dream!