A fresh start

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

A fresh start

Post by maddiedog »

In late December 2016, a friend of mine sent me a Craigslist link to a PCX. It was white. 2011. Same as the one I've missed the last couple of years. It didn't run. It had fairing damage on both sides. Even though it had just a smidge over 3k miles, the rear tire was absolutely bald. It had no maintenance records. ...But it was cheap. Dirt cheap. I knew what the problem was, and could fix it too.

Work deadlines and work travel, plus awesome family togetherness took the PCX out of my mind completely. The holidays came and went like a passing storm, and I was suddenly back in the office again. My first day back, a coworker sends me a random craigslist link via our office instant messaging client. It's the same PCX. o_O

I like to fix things. It's why I work in IT. I thrive on cleaning up other people's messes in the computer world, hopping from customer to customer, fixing their problems, and making their day better for it. I absolutely love solving problems and seeing things done right, even more so seeing users happy, smiling at the restored order and functionality.

But, there's some problems in life you can't fix. A bit over a year after my son was born, and at the same time I more or less disappeared from this site, my wife was diagnosed with MS. It hit us REALLY hard. We're super-young; we had our son when we were 25 years old. It really made priorities in life change. Between being a father and helping my wife through her disease and depression, I hardly had time for work AND college, let alone riding. Furthermore, there was a real risk of future money problems. If my wife's MS got worse, we'd have to sell the house and get an accessible one. Money was one that I could fix by downsizing, part of that was my PCX. It was a mistake, but the V-Strom would let us drop to one car if we needed to.

Those hard times have passed. My wife's prognosis is amazingly good. She is literally back to 100% mentally and physiologically, and is one hell of a fighter. Her MRIs show virtually no ascertainable damage to her brain. The treatment is working perfectly. Despite that, we shifted our life priorities. I started applying myself fully at work, resulting in two promotions in the last two years while doing what I love -- fixing things. I graduated college. The concern of dropping to one car or needing a new house is long gone for now, and we're putting good money into savings for those potential eventualities. Even if we can't fix MS, we are bigger than it. Our lives belong to no one but ourselves. The disease can't decide things, we can control our own path. We win.

More months pass, and we talk about having a younger brother or sister for our son Noah. We decide to go forward with it, and a month later, were preggers! :D :D :D I couldn't be happier. We love each other more than ever, we have an amazingly ridiculous toddler with a hilarious attitude, and have another coming in June.

But, I promised her before we got pregnant with baby #2 that I would not commute on my motorcycle anymore. With a toddler, and me loving being a dad, all my camping has shifted from motocamping on the V-Strom to camping out of my Honda Element. I haven't commuted on the V-Strom in more than 6 months, and it's been over a year since I camped with it. It just sits, because it's not a family vehicle. I look at it fondly in the garage, and really, REALLY want to take it on errands around town, but it's too big and heavy to easily get out of the garage for a quick grocery trip. But a PCX... Now that is a machine made for errands, easy to get out of town, easy to park and turn around, and great for zipping around town. Plus, I know I can travel far and wide on a PCX if I need to -- I've done it dozens of times! Sure, I can't go on the highways, but it's not like I can put a toddler and an infant on any motorcycle anyways.

I made a decision I'd have to apologize to my wife for later, grabbed the pupper, and hopped in my truck. It was time to go pick up something to fix. 8)
1.png
1.png (866.57 KiB) Viewed 2121 times

The bike was actually better than I thought it would be.

I didn't let on that I felt that way, and given the buyer was talking the bike down, I asked for lower than his price. He accepted. I was too excited to take a picture; I just grabbed the title, and loaded my new PCX into the back of my Element. :D
2.png
2.png (612.07 KiB) Viewed 2121 times

We rode off into the sunset, getting home far after midnight. Unloading was super easy, especially since I'm used to shoving around a big V-Strom. :lol:
3.png
3.png (1.03 MiB) Viewed 2121 times

And so, the PCX was at home in its new stable. It needs work before I can ride it, but I have a PCX again. :D

I immediately went online that night, and spent $300 on a new seat identical to my old one, a windshield, and a bunch of replacement fairings... Then apologized to my wife. :lol: :lol: She understood, but made me promise to never sell this one. I agreed.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Re: A fresh start

Post by GeorgeSK »

Absolutely Awesome, Maddiedog. The update on your wife's health is probably the best thing I've heard in months. Congrats on having a second child, and another PCX to wrench on, and work that is satisfying. Life can't get much better than your current story - I sincerely pray that the stars stay aligned for you.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Welcome Back!
Ya you can be bigger than MS.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

Thanks guys! I appreciate it! :D

After writing the above post, I thought about not posting, but I'm glad I did. I feel better about getting it off my chest, especially since it's basically the reason I disappeared from here. I'm not sure I'll ever be as active again as I was when I first started this forum. I used to post at work, but I'm so busy now at work that I don't have any time other than when I'm home. I think I'll be at least a bit more active though, since travel has more or less permanently calmed down (or so I've been told).

Back to the PCX... It was dead when I bought it. I checked the spark plug and oil, they looked fine. The flywheel would spin giving resistance when it should through two rotations too. Since those were good, I decided it was worth buying. I figured the issue was probably the battery since it was the original. I was fairly sure the ooooooold gas was bad too, but fortunately the tank was rust-free.

Furthermore, the poor PCX had been stored outside. I could tell the owner wiped it down before I got there, but it was still nasty. There were lines of green algae anywhere the owner missed, and the seat and grips... They had some sort of brownish film... I should have gotten pictures, it was gross.

I rinsed it off today, drained the gas, added new gas, and jump started it. The PCX started immediately. We are operational. It was the battery, or maybe bad gas.

I started an oil change, but the dang oil screen bolt on the left side of the crankcase is absolutely stuck. It must have been tightened by an impact gun, or maybe a gorilla with a wrench. I'll have to get that off with my impact gun tomorrow. Here's where I stopped:
5.png
5.png (839.96 KiB) Viewed 2115 times

I'm excited for when the parts come in and I can fix it up. Both brake levers , both grips, both lower fairings, the rear grab handle, and the cover near the speedometer all need replaced... Maybe more when I dig into it. It's all on order, along with:
- This seat: http://www.powerbypcx.com/en/accessorie ... v1-v2.html -- Mark got me this same seat years ago for the first PCX I had. It's phenomenal. Even the $400 seat I have on my V-Strom isn't as comfy.
- This windshield: https://bikerzbits.com/honda-pcx125-spo ... hield.html -- I wanted to try something new, and it was cheap. It'll probably not be as good as my old Givi 323, but we will see!

The parts shipped earlier in the week, and should be in next month (hopefully).
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

GREAT POST DAVE!!! Welcome back. Thanks for sharing about your life. And you just know it was the right PCX, because it is white. ;)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Awesome :D :D
JetPilot
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: INVISIBLE

Post by JetPilot »

Hi Dave,

You are a smart guy, commuting to work on a motorcycle WILL result in an accident sooner or later, and you would have been injured and unable to work. With all the bad drivers out there it is just a matter of time before one takes you out while texting, etc.... Make your rides ones that are out in the country, minimum of traffic, rides that you enjoy. I am a hard core rider, and would use my motorcycle every day, rain or shine, BUT, someone took me out one day... I figured out that it is just not worth the risk for a ride in stop and go traffic, looking at the back of cars, and riding by stinking parking lots... I did not give up riding completely, but I reduce my risk as much as possible now, by choosing when to ride, and even more importantly when NOT to ride.

Cool that you take your dog with you, they are awesome !!! You left out the most important piece of information, how much did you pay for the PCX ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Mike
Attachments
KaylaDriving.jpg
KaylaDriving.jpg (10.3 KiB) Viewed 2081 times
Rickjds
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2020
Color: Candy Luster Re

Post by Rickjds »

Congrats on all accounts!
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

Very good read. It's great to hear about someone who does not need the latest and greatest. I have the same ride as you the 2011 model. The older body style feels smaller and more agile feeling to me. Something about that dash with its roundness makes the cockpit feel slimmer. I think it's feels better than the newer bodystyle. Are you going to big bore this one?
:geek:
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Welcome back Dave.

I'm glad you and the family are fine and congratulations on the good news.

Keep us informed how the pcx project is doing.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Dave, welcome back! If you need a hand with your new project, just give me a call. Our bikes are in the basement right now but it wouldn't take me long to get her bike out. .... I am working on my bike right now, redoing wiring for all of the extra front LED lights I have added. (I had the wires running to a switch but am moving them directly to the headlight wires so they will come on when the bike starts).

I am really glad that your wife is responding to treatment. It is a scary disease, just like my leukemia. All you can do is trust that things will work out, and face life with a smile. Attitude is everything. Cherish every moment you have.

I do have many parts I took off of our 2013 bikes, including a Givi 322 mid high windshield, if you need any.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Carl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Post by Carl »

Welcome back!

Your pcx looks tiny compared to the v-strom!
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I have stock IRC's if you need new rubber, PM me if interested. Never going to put them back on my PCX.
Attachments
homie.jpg
homie.jpg (107.11 KiB) Viewed 2028 times
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

A joy to hear that things are looking up for you.

Lang may yer lum reek! :)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (122.98 KiB) Viewed 2004 times
Wow! You darn well know I'm HAPPY!!
What a Great surprise to log in and see a thread started by you, maddiedog/Dave.
BOOM! Instant smile across my face!
Welcome Back to Your Forum(s)!

Thank you for explaining So Much, (although not necessary) it's appreciated. I've been concerned and worried for sometime, but now......, well Now, "I FEEL GOOD....!!"

Please tell your wife how Happy I am for her, and what a wonderful turn around! She's gotta be a strong kick-ass woman. I praise you for being such a loving husband and father. I can only imagine how hard life has been. Breath. It's in the past now :P and ya'll love each other More than Ever! Yeh!

Ya did it, you hit that pause button, NO! I mean the STOP button and never to see Go again!
That's my prayer for her, you and Noah and Oh Wait........

There's a "bun in the oven!" Woot a summer baby. Save those toys, save some clothes, save, save, save!! :D Congrats on your baby decision. It's a Grand & Happy one at that! Happy is important.
Keep those bodily Endophins flowing!

Hold up! You done went and got yerself a 2011 (like my first and yours) White PCX!! More Great news at a Great price! (What did you pay anyway? Yeah I'm bold enough to ask, I'm WN afterall :lol: )
Where did you travel to fetch it? It sounded like you traveled far.

Great seeing maddiedog, miss her on the forums too!

Guess I should shut my mouth and let another take the floor :D
Hugs to All of You and keep on keeping on! 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Dave, maybe you can join us some time as Freddi tries to relearn riding with her rebuilt shoulder. No, she has not ridden since the accident. She has limited use of the left shoulder and she feels it when she tries to use tools like the weed eater or push lawn mower. The vibration is too much, which causes her pain, so she is cautious about getting back on the bike. That doesn't mean that she doesn't want to ride. She is just a bit afraid that she will not be able to handle it and may either drop it or hurt herself. Maybe together we can get her back on her bike.
By the way, I am amazed that you were able to get the PCX into your Honda Element. It has a lot more room than I thought it had.
Aside from the broken plastics, which are a little different from my 2013 model, is there anything that you need immediately, such as brake levers (I have the factory ones on a shelf), or factory weights (I replaced ours with NCY 13 gram ones)? Just let me know if you need or want help.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

atpcop
Year: 2017

Post by atpcop »

Was this in Athens?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Was what in Athens?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Try to be a bit more specific, ok atpcop? Folks here are from all over the globe.

So, Haha! at first I thought you were joking...like in Athens, Greece :lol:
but then I thought....nah, it's gotta be in Georgia!! Google is my friend ;)

So did you yourself see an '11 White on CL in Athens, Georgia? Maybe that was the one that Dave stole I mean, :lol: bought?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

Welcome back Dave, it's great to hear you and your wife have overcome one of life's biggest hurdles, bad health.

My wife had Hodgkin's lymphoma 3 years ago. We were lucky to get a great doctor who understood the disease, and that, combined with Alice's incredible will to see it through, means she has been in remission for 2 years and enjoys excellent health generally.

I agree with your wife, don't EVER sell your pcx! It's the second best form of therapy you will ever have, only beaten by having a loving family around you.