Riding Tips

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: Riding Tips

Post by WhiteNoise »

Makes me nervous just thinking about a controlled laydown :| Key word here: controlled. Hmmm...
I've seen it done on TV but I'm betting I'd screw that up (no experience). But I've heard it said more than once.
Years back when I took delivery of my Piaggio MP3, my neighbor came out (who "use to ride") and said, "if you ever get in a situation where you think you're going to hit something, lay the bike down first!" I looked at him oddly, got on and rode away. I would've thought good luck with the bike more appropriate at the time. Needless to say, he never went back to riding. Perhaps "he" laid his bike down...wrong?
Like...how do you plan "that" in a few seconds time? I won't even know my name at "that" time :o
Okay, no nightmares tonight! It's late, I gots ta sleep! zzzzzz

Wait a sec! How's about another read? This one states that it's aimed at Baby Boomer Bikers :lol: (now who could that be? :roll: ) Nah, that's not so. The Info here applies to all the bodies.
http://www.genjac.com/BoomerBiker/index.htm
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

... controlled laydown ... Practice makes perfect, but I think if I had to practice a controlled laydown, I would want to do so on someone else's bike. :lol: :lol:
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

Never understood the concept of laying your bike down on its side to try to get it to stop when rubber should have better traction than metal and plastic. Maybe if I'm ducking underneath a Matson truck, but other than that:D...

I just completed the MSF BRC Course last week, and I'm looking forward to seeing if my dealer has any 2015 PCX's coming in yet.

While we're on the subject of riding tips, would you say the PCX is easier to ride? I've had some fun with the clutch and gear shifting during the course. Stalling because I let go of the clutch too fast without throttle, stalling because I came to a full stop without squeezing the clutch, stalling because I forgot to downshift, having the bike lurch forward because I downshifted without slowing. Good times:D.

Makes me curious if there's a hidden downside to that convenience of automatic transmission. Smaller wheels? Less powerful suspension?

I was riding a Honda Nighthawk that was missing a turn signal or two and is probably older than me, so I would think overall it can't be that bad. Especially if I see grandmas riding small mopeds everyday:D.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The downside to a CVT is increased friction in the transmission and higher fuel consumption.
Given that one of the benefits is that the engine tends to run at a more efficient rpm it cancels out a bit, but given the increased ease of use in traffic its a small price to pay.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

gn2 wrote:The downside to a CVT is increased friction in the transmission and higher fuel consumption.
Given that one of the benefits is that the engine tends to run at a more efficient rpm it cancels out a bit, but given the increased ease of use in traffic its a small price to pay.
Erm, kind of hard to imagine that given that the PCX weighs close to 300 lbs and gets 102 mpg o.O

But I assume that would be in the context of an apples to apples, cars to cars comparison.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Honda CBF125 averages higher than the PCX125, the Grom125 does even better
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/cbf125
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx125
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/grom_125
The French website Scooter Station places the PCX at number 7 in the 2013 scooter fuel economy stakes, all the 125s which better it do not have CVTs
http://www.scooter-station.com/Consomma ... oters.html
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/ ... xar/299277
Not sure why it does not show the 1st trip reading, but the 141mpg is what I am getting. I've only added the trip and fuel figures for the last two fill-ups as I did not register with fuelly when I got the bike, but the data entered is correct for fuel in, miles covered, etc since I started adding the info. It agrees with the sales receipt and trip readings for mpg.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

gn2 wrote:Honda CBF125 averages higher than the PCX125, the Grom125 does even better
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/cbf125
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx125
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/grom_125
The French website Scooter Station places the PCX at number 7 in the 2013 scooter fuel economy stakes, all the 125s which better it do not have CVTs
http://www.scooter-station.com/Consomma ... oters.html
Aside from the grom, we don't get those here in the states.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

kramnala58 wrote:... controlled laydown ... Practice makes perfect, but I think if I had to practice a controlled laydown, I would want to do so on someone else's bike. :lol: :lol:

The lay down thing crops up every so often with the well meaning in casual conversations by a certain type

Not a great deal to do with motorcycling or scoot riding in reality
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

More Safe Riding Tips brought to you from Jafrum's website blog.
Some really great pointers here. Worth the read.

I'm a bit puzzled by #15 :roll: Are you?
The part where it says, "keep your steering-wheel pointed......" Etc.

20 Tips On How To Survive Riding A Motorcycle
March 30, 2013 by madmoto

We’ve said it many times before, riding a motorcycle is one of world’s greatest pleasures, but it’s also one of the most dangerous ones – maybe it’s a pleasure because it’s so dangerous. You need to take some precautions when riding a bike. You do not need to dress up in an airbag balloon or some sort of a space suit. You don’t need to be looking like a mad person around you to see if there’s someone coming to kill you. But there are many points you need to look for when riding that will keep you safe. Some are common sense, some are built around experience.

Here are 20 pointers that may save you life. Read on, especially after point 1, a point many people’s eyes just glaze over.

1.The most common one is wear a helmet, even when you are riding only 100 yards. A full face integral helmet is better than a half helmet. Just pulling up and having your foot go out from under you is enough to bang your head against the pavement.
2. Learn the counter steering technique. In Europe it’s mandatory to learn and there’s good reason for it.. Counter Steering will enable you to quickly and safely avoid sudden obstacles on the road without falling. It should become second nature.
3. Watch out of those white lines on the road, and watch out even more for those pedestrian crossing lines. White lines, although very visible, are very, very slippery. When it rains, avoid them at all costs. If you have to ride over them in a curve and it’s wet, straighten your bike while riding over the line. If not, your bike will go horizontal.
4. When you cross a railroad track, cross it straight. Railroad tracks are slippery as well, and if you take them at an angle, your bike might go out from under you. This applies doubly when it’s raining.
5. Tire pressure on a car is important, but on a motorcycle is essential. Read the owner’s manual to see what pressure under what circumstances. Riding 2 up, with cargo? You’ll need to adjust the pressure. I’ve put Dymo labels on the side of my bike giving me 3 numbers: Normal pressure, with pillion and pillion & cargo.
6. Watch out when entering a place where there have been cars idling: gas stations, fast food drive-ins, toll booths etc. There’s always oil, gasoline and dirt. Watch where you put your foot.
7. When following cars, trucks, trailers, etc, best is to stay behind one of the wheels. First of all, in the middle of the lane, that’s where you’ll find the most oil, gasoline and dirt coming from the cars. Also, if there’s something on the road, like roadkill, if you are riding behind the wheel of the vehicle in front of you, it’ll get squashed. If not, you’ll hit it and you don’t know what will happen then (I think I do). If you’re following a big truck, keep well away. Truck tires can (and do) shred regularly, leaving big bits of rubber flying. At highways speeds, if a large chunk of truck tire hits you, you’ll be badly injured, or worse.
8. Always have the helmet visor down when riding, or have something to protect your eyes (like goggles or glasses). A bug that hits you at 60 mph is going to hurt, if it hits you in the eye, it’s goodbye eye.
9. You know why fighter planes attack with the sun in their back? Because they can’t be seen. The same happens when the sun is in your back, low, you’ve become invisible for the cars driving in front of you. Even if they pay attention, they’ll not see you when you overtaken them. So watch out. The same applies when riding into a low sun. Drivers behind you will not see you. I often just nudge my brakes so that the brake light goes on, this way the car has a better chance of seeing you when they approach.
10. If it’s warm drink plenty of water; if it’s cold, dress properly. Hydration and hypothermia are more dangerous than DUI.
11. Road rage on its own is pretty bad, but having road rage on a motorcycle, especially against a car puts you in the danger spot. Unless of course you’re riding with the Hells Angels. Believe me, you’ll not be teaching car drivers a lesson, unless it’s cemetery ethics.
12. Try to avoid the right most lane on highways, motorways and other fast moving roads. You’ll find that some soccer-mother driving a SUV forgot to take the off-ramp and will try to exit anyway. Don’t get in her path.
13. If you’re having problems at home or work, taking the bike might not be a good idea. People think they’re clearing their heads, but in fact they’ll not pay as much attention as they should. One of the highest factors for motorcycle accidents is divorce. The next highest is getting fired.
14. One of the old sayings for motorcycle riders is that your bike will go where you are looking. In a curve look as far as you can, not in front of you. If you see a pot hole, and you’re looking at it, you will ride through it.
15. When you stop at an intersection or for traffic lights, keep your bike in first gear and keep a close look in your mirror until cars behind you have come to a stop. Keep your steering-wheel pointed in the direction of the first lane you will encounter (ie in the US, from left to right); This way, if you are “nudged” by a car behind you, your bike will go with the crossing traffic.
16. When traffic is suddenly stopping or slowing down dramatically on a highway or interstate, ride in between the cars, even if your area does not allow lane-splitting. Cars coming up behind you may not have seen the slowdown or stoppage and slam into the rear of the traffic – you.
17. When slowing down in traffic using your motorcycle engine (ie downshifting), best is to gently hit the brakes so that your brake lights go on. Remember that motorcycle engines usually have high compression and can therefore brake much harder with just their engine. Cars coming up behind you are going to be surprised (and so will you when they rear-end you).
18. There’s no such thing as Green means Go, or a Stop sign that means other traffic will stop. Always assume that some idiot of going to run a red light, or stop sign and proceed accordingly.
19. Motorcycles are small, and it takes an effort to be seen. Make sure you’re visible. Apart from high-visibility clothing, turn on your motorcycle’s lights. Even during the day. In many countries, it’s mandatory for motorcycles to ride with their lights on. You can guess why.
20. Wear proper equipment. As mentioned helmets, but also gloves, jackets and boots. No one plans to leave their motorcycle while still riding, but if you do, best is be prepared. ATGATT is not just a saying, it’s vital. All The Gear, All The Time. Be a firm believer.

Just keep your head screwed on your body, use it and ride safe. Enjoy your ride. Your best safety factor is you. The more miles you put on your bike, the safer you become.

Authors
MH
marmot
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

21. Always wear clean underpants.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

22. Be aware of dump trucks in particular. If they are full, they tend to have dirt and dust, as well as what they are carrying, picked up be the wind and thrown back behind them. If they are empty they usually leave their tailgates partially open, which allows the wind to pick up what remains in their bed and drop it on the road behind them, as well as have the remains trail them as they move or stop.. In fact, some states and countries have no regulations concerning covering their loads, which makes the danger even more apparent.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Shiny side up.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

Don't sneeze in a full face helmet, it impairs your vision. Don't ask :)
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

23. Let's not be to anal over what is enjoyable
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

gn2 wrote:Shiny side up.
... and rubber side down ;)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Member iceman provided this youtube in another topic titled "PCX Test Ride around cone track," I thought I'd share it here as well.
A fun one to watch :) I wonder how many of us could do this? :roll:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SyG0pv_v7uM
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

WhiteNoise wrote: 18. There’s no such thing as Green means Go, or a Stop sign that means other traffic will stop. Always assume that some idiot of going to run a red light, or stop sign and proceed accordingly.
I generally take a red light with full traffic to mean that some ***head will have to run over several cars before they get to me. With no other traffic in sight, it's best to take a look to see if anyone can potentially run you over before you cross that intersection.
19. Motorcycles are small, and it takes an effort to be seen. Make sure you’re visible. Apart from high-visibility clothing, turn on your motorcycle’s lights. Even during the day. In many countries, it’s mandatory for motorcycles to ride with their lights on. You can guess why.
MSF recommends using high-beams during the day.
20. Wear proper equipment. As mentioned helmets, but also gloves, jackets and boots. No one plans to leave their motorcycle while still riding, but if you do, best is be prepared. ATGATT is not just a saying, it’s vital. All The Gear, All The Time. Be a firm believer.
I've had much sneering and mockery directed at me for asking about what gears to buy beyond the standard full face helmet, I wonder how many of those people are currently nursing a broken leg :roll: .

My hospital did drop me a hint that the facilities fees for ER and my room is upwards of $31,000; pre-insurance. That doesn't count my surgery, anesthesia, physician, and various other fees. All-in-all, I think full gear is cheaper than a trip to the ER.
Just keep your head screwed on your body, use it and ride safe. Enjoy your ride. Your best safety factor is you. The more miles you put on your bike, the safer you become.
Not strictly true. 5000 miles of stupid is still stupid. Best to maintain good habits and don't let yourself get cocky just because you've been riding a while.

I'd also add onto the list somewhere:
-Stick to flat roads if you're still wet behind the ears.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

ATGATT that's me. Had a guy give some jazz yesterday because of my knee & shin protection. When it's cooler I wear armored riding pants.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

I was told recently that look like a "Space Alien!" Just wait till they see my new Hi-Viz Nolan lid! :lol: Wonder what I'll be called then?? (Bite your tongue, 2yous :D )