Riding Tips

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Riding Tips

Post by iceman »

I still see people riding scooters and bikes with just t-shirts and shorts - great feeling until you come off!
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015

Post by Valiant »

iceman wrote:I still see people riding scooters and bikes with just t-shirts and shorts - great feeling until you come off!
Personal decision IMO. If you can ride like that for a few years and not have a problem, good for you. But it only takes one bad day to mess up your life good, so not worth the risk IMO.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

My Hi-viz armored mesh jacket is the bomb in hot temps. Not a problem at all. Saw a guy yesterday wearing flip flops on a Harley. Lots of no helmets too.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Wouldn't it hurt to shift gears with flip flops? o.O
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Bumpy. Something we should know how to do :ugeek:
This question just came up on another thread, "How do I get my Scoot on it's Center Stand?"
So, I found a YouTube and posted it demonstrating this on a PCX. Sweet surprise, a PCX right? :P

Here for your enjoyment and lesson of this Friday, is "How To"

If youtube is fussy this weekend by Not showing, try it this way: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NG4ULxp5MBo
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Member SECoda shared this very good Highway Riding link http://www.her-motorcycle.com/Highway_Riding.html on member yak's thread titled, "Highway Riding a Tips."
So I'm adding that very good read right Here too. Itsa a goodie! ;)

So....when do ya'll wanna leave? When the Ice melts? When the Rain stops? :cry:
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

I left yesterday morning after cleaning out my bowels and emptying my bladder :P .
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: o_O
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

After watching that I stopped using the side stands pretty much a month or so ago.
WhiteNoise wrote:Bumpy. Something we should know how to do :ugeek:
This question just came up on another thread, "How do I get my Scoot on it's Center Stand?"
So, I found a YouTube and posted it demonstrating this on a PCX. Sweet surprise, a PCX right? :P

Here for your enjoyment and lesson of this Friday, is "How To"

If youtube is fussy this weekend by Not showing, try it this way: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NG4ULxp5MBo
Vesper2112
Year: 2014 Forza
Color: Red

Post by Vesper2112 »

I think I've used my side stand like once or twice. I just like having more stability.
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Riding Tip of the Day:
Exercise extreme caution when riding at night.

Oncoming headlights on the left can easily block out view of jaywalkers on the left side.

Case in point:
I didn't see the jaywalker until she was almost stepping on the centerline, at which point I slammed on my brakes and she was inches away from my front tire. This was also on a busy intersection(the one next to a highway ramp), and she evidently decided not to wait for the light before strolling across the crosswalk, so it was twice as unexpected for me, because it's near impossible to keep track of moving/turning traffic in all 4 directions.

Pity I don't have my GoPro during juicy moments like this, because I would've loved to have her spend the rest of the night in jail for being such a retard.
djcat
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Black

Post by djcat »

Coming back to the original question of how to negotiate turns, I hope this video of an advanced observed ride will help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb2gZVuoNU4

More important then counter steering techniques is where you look at.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Another load of pish from YouTube.
@2:45 "Look at this bend its friendly..... its opening up its friendly"
This despite the "SLOW" road marking beside two warning signs, one for sharp deviation right, the other for junction on the right.
@2:57 I like it... keep it up..." as they continue to pass numerous access points with high hedgerows with the commentator far too close to the leading bike.
The guy is an accident waiting to happen.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Steph »

@djcat - I was not able to understand what the guy was saying in your video.

This is what you don't want to do in a turn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyfiIxf29JQ
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Steph wrote:@djcat - I was not able to understand what the guy was saying in your video.
All he was saying is look ahead for clues to show which way the road is going.
About as obvious and useful as a reminder to sit facing forwards. :roll:
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

ABS Pro - Here are some ABS brakes I like. They actually work in a turn and don't wipe you out.

Braking hard in a corner: BMW's lean angle-sensitive ABS Pro
http://www.gizmag.com/bmw-abs-pro-hp4-cornering/33034/
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

gn2 wrote:
Steph wrote:@djcat - I was not able to understand what the guy was saying in your video.

GN2, I don´t believe your comment is helpful in any way. If you think its that obvious, I don´t think you realise how most people drive their tin boxes or ride their bikes. Most people either have no idea how to read the road or even where to look at and adapt to the circumstances and hence take unnecessary risks, or are totally scared and rolling roadblocks.

Moving about in traffic safely is a skill that needs to be acquired. To understand for which clues to look needs to be taught to people. Just go to a country where they have traffic behaviour or riding bicycles as a primary school subject and compare that to a country where people only started to understand the power of motorised transport and you will understand. Compare how people behave in Sweden and Germany and compare that to China and Vietnam. The death toll speaks for itself.
djcat
Regular User
Regular User

Post by djcat »

This is what you don't want to do in a turn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyfiIxf29JQ

Thats because he speaks English :D

If the road gives you clues on how it bends then use them. You may see:

● the line of trees
● the path of telegraph poles
● hedges at the side of the road copying the path of the road.
● Warning signs
● movement of other vehicles

You need to look into the corner, more specifically chasing the limit point (or vanishing point). The optical illusion that is created when both sides of the road look like they are merging. If that point is going away, its not a sharp corner. If that point looks like its coming towards you, you better slow down.

Don´t get scared when you see a corner, don´t look where you don´t want to go! (e.g. the tree at the exit or the oncoming traffic). Always be in a safe position that allows you the best view (usually the outside of the corner) and keeps you at a safe distance from traffic .

Read the road and use the clues it gives you to prepare for it. Take in the information about where the road is going and how sharp the corner is, change your speed to one that is safe to go through the corner before the entry, position yourself at the safest place on the road, look into the turn towards the vanishing point, move smoothly through the corner and accelerate slightly when going through it.

Take care and remember to have something in reserve in case things are not as they appear. If in any doubt, lose more speed before the bend
so you have greater room for manoeuvring.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Moving forward around corners and bends ....the "limit point" aka "vanishing point"

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:

What is opinion on engine oil? :roll: