Whats with the decrease in Bhp?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Whats with the decrease in Bhp?

Post by gn2 »

Aye the later TS185 wasn't as nice looking.
I remember the KE175, think they did an orange one?
Also the Suzuki PE175/250, now that was a proper off roader.
Then there was the Yamaha XT250 with gold rims. Gorgeous bike.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

After the TC90 (my first bike) I bought a used '70 Triumph Trophy 250, and then a nearly new Suzuki T250 X6 Hustler (copper/orange color). The T250 ran great. Unfortunately it got stolen and eventually I made the leap to a Yamaha TX650A (had both kick and electric start). I put some Bonneville pipes on it and it sounded awesome.

The list goes on but at the end of the day and after all the years of riding I find the bulk of my need for speed is in the 30 to 55 MPH range.

So I think with the improved breathing and tweaks done for the new PCX engine it will suffice for practical use. If one needs to have more then I'd say just get a bigger machine. 8)
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

then a nearly new Suzuki T250 X6 Hustler (copper/orange color). The T250 ran great
The was a fast bike, wasn’t it ?
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

The was a fast bike, wasn’t it ?
Yes it was . . ..

I remember those Suzuki 185 dirt bikes too. Suzuki made a lot of iconic machines back then. Another was the Titan 500. And let's not forget the Suzuki GT750 "Water Buffalo" 2-stroke.

A blast from the past. I digress . . .. 8)

And the exact same T250 I once owned . . .. Yeah it was fast. I had just put some new K81 tires on it too. Such is life. :lol: :roll:

springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Yeah it was fast. I had just put some new K81 tires on it too. Such is life
My pal had a yellow one with high pipes, one on each side. It could accelerate soooo freaking fast. His trip to work was 15 miles each way on an interstate and the bike handled it no problem.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

My pal had a yellow one with high pipes, one on each side. It could accelerate soooo freaking fast. His trip to work was 15 miles each way on an interstate and the bike handled it no problem.
The "high pipe" model had more of an on road/off road look. I think they called it the T250 II. One up on each side . . .. :geek:

I stumbled across some European videos about the PCX 150 engine. I have no idea what the guy is saying but a picture is indeed worth a thousand words. I commend him for his work . . ..

Just get past the intro stuff and watch him work on the engine (out of frame on a shop bench). You can see everything good. It helps uncover some of the mystery of how the PCX engine is built. I'm not sure what year engine it is but the videos are about a year old.

Maybe grab some tea or coffee. These take a while. Like I said though don't worry about the words. . .watch the picture. Skip through as needed. :D

By the time you are done watching these the 2021 models will be out. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

PCX Motor Details

op3l
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by op3l »

I think in general that old adage "there's no replacement for displacement" is true. Yea it might have higher horsepower but it might come at a high RPM at the cost of good usable torque. I've no doubt they did it for higher fuel economy figures and probably emissions as well.

Still though, it's a 150cc scooter and for me it's fast enough.