Rear Wheel noise

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Rear Wheel noise

Post by Mel46 »

Well, when you get done tearing it apart and regreasing it, if the sound is still there, check that part that we had to replace. I can't say for certain that your sound is from the same source as ours was, but the sound is the same. That is what we heard while riding, and when we rolled the bike backwards while the engine was running, it sounded just as bad. Still, it could be wheel bearings. Did you roll the wheel both directions? I ask that because you will get noise if you roll the wheel backwards anyway, just not that bad though.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Just so people know what its suppose to sound like, we will be very interested in exactly the cause of that chattering :o

dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

I'm 100% sure it's the needle bearings in the rear of the Torque Driver. I rotated the wheel with no clutch or torque driver on it, and it was fairly silent. I got everything taken apart last night, resgreased everything, and decided it would be safer to drive the civic this morning to work. This way when I get home I can give my variator a good cleaning as it has baked on roller dust all over it. The only downside to the NYC Teflon Coated Variator.

More info to come in about 3 hours from now. I will post my findings, and a video of the wheel rotating without the Torque Driver installed, and then a final video of everything reassembled correctly. If it is the needle bearings making the noise it’s due to them having a lack of grease which hopefully is fixed NOW.
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

also note they use two different bearing brands... also note the price difference... HRMMMM.....
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

dem0nk1d wrote:This way when I get home I can give my variator a good cleaning as it has baked on roller dust all over it, the only downside to the NYC Teflon Coated Variator.
Scooterman has placed this teflon coated variator on my wish list... should I revisit that choice? It was to be used in conjunction with 13 gram rollers and the (baking) of anything wasn't mentioned :lol: seems there is always some unwanted side effect of these tempting mods that get over looked.

http://www.corsportusa.com/2010-honda-p ... on-pulley/
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Dem0nk1d, those two bearings are the ones that went out on my bike. Lack of grease for them also. However, once they went bad they had flat spots and other problems. That is why the bearings had to be replaced rather than just regreased. Others here have found it quicker and easier to replace the entire assembly. I hope you get everything taken care of without any problems. Good luck.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

homie wrote:
dem0nk1d wrote:This way when I get home I can give my variator a good cleaning as it has baked on roller dust all over it, the only downside to the NYC Teflon Coated Variator.
Scooterman has placed this teflon coated variator on my wish list... should I revisit that choice? It was to be used in conjunction with 13 gram rollers and the (baking) of anything wasn't mentioned :lol: seems there is always some unwanted side effect of these tempting mods that get over looked.

http://www.corsportusa.com/2010-honda-p ... on-pulley/

The NCY variator is the sh**! I love it!!! Keep the stock contra spring and the 13g weights and you should be doing 70mph with no issues. My max so far was 80mph downhill. Freeway!!
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

updated i really think it's them needle bearings

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Yes VERY educational, and for me video and audio make this much easier to understand. It does seem unlikely this is the more common bearing failure.
JLP
Color: None more black

Post by JLP »

Thanks for posting.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Thanks for taking the time to make the videos guys, I needed that. To see/hear those "whooshing/swooshing" questionable sounds.
homie, I did notice that our 2015's sound identical when hand spinning the rear wheel (both forward and backward). So is it safe to say that we're in the clear as far making any repairs? Because we're Not as loud as demOnk1d spinning wheel. :? Maybe ours are just normal sounds?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

WhiteNoise wrote:Thanks for taking the time to make the videos guys, I needed that. To see/hear those "whooshing/swooshing" questionable sounds.
homie, I did notice that our 2015's sound identical when hand spinning the rear wheel (both forward and backward). So is it safe to say that we're in the clear as far making any repairs? Because we're Not as loud as demOnk1d spinning wheel. :? Maybe ours are just normal sounds?
i'm wondering if mine failed because i'm driving 60 miles a day with my PCX, all on the freeway around 65-75mph. i think i will buy the replacement needle bearing and go from there. I would like to really pinpoint the issue. It's either that bearing or the one above which is more of a sealed bearing on one side.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

The good news for you demOnk1d is a repair like this has a difficulty rating of minus zero for you and your shop :)
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

I just ordered the needle bearing. It should be showing up Friday afternoon. I will do a quick writeup on how to properly replace the bearing with basic tools for the normal diy person!
I ordered the 91001-KCW-003 more expensive version
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

got around to installing the rear needle bearing. doesn't seem to have fixed the issue. video review below. possibly the outer bearing.

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

So it's not the needle bearing, and its not the dreaded Honda (bad lot) bearing Mel horror story either... what the heck?
frog13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: white

Post by frog13 »

Was this issue ever resolved ?.
frog13
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: white

Post by frog13 »

Just out of curiosity , what final drive fluid do you use demOnk1d ?.
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

i think the final drive is 10w 30 if i remember. Also i have not gotten around to ordering the outer bearing, but i am 100% sure that will fix everything.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

By outer bearing, are you talking about #18 in the diagram, or are you tslking about a completely different bearing than those in the diagram?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150